Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Would you be willing to pay more for Xbox Live?

• 74 results
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By penguindust

Everyone's favorite professional "blow hole", analyst Michael Pachter has a new rant over at Gametrailers and it was edited down on 1UP.com.  Pachter believes that because of Microsoft's position in the console market, they are purposely downplaying the PC gaming market.  He believes this is to hook gamers into Xbox Live where they can charge for any and every service a gamer might desire.  With new additional content and features being added to the XBL service, Pachter then suggests that in a few years, Microsoft will reset the price for the service.  The example he gives is moving from $50 to $100.  By then, he contends, gamers will be hooked into the service and be unfamiliar with other options for multiplay gaming. 

So the question then is, considering all the added features and I am certain, more in the future, would you be willing to pay more for Xbox Live than the current suggested fee of $50?  I know, price varies from country to country, but assume the question applies to whatever funny money you use in your homeland.   Would you pay $60, the same as a standard new game?  A $100, as Pachter hypothesizes?  Or, do you think that if Microsoft raises the price any more than what it is, you'll quit the service for a PC or other console?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Kazona

I think Microsoft will lose customers if they do that, considering the free alternative of the Playstation.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

I don't even pay the original sum of £40 to begin with. Staying on silver still has me with plenty of content already and my multiplayer is set with my ps3 8)
    goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By goodwood

I also saw this on MaximumPC and was going to post something about it also. I think I would start buying multiplayer games for PC if they jacked the prices that high or consider getting a PS3 because that is just not worth it. Maximumpc article here.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By Atlas

Literally the only thing they could is offer consumers a Platinum subscription, whereby you get priority in matchmaking and online, better deals of the week, a discount on Avatar clothing, themes and gamer pictures, the integration with Twitter, Facebook and all that other jazz, Netflix/Sky TV integration and a bunch of extra stuff. Obviously that would suck, but it would suck less than the lowest price point to playing online is $100. Gold accounts need to stay the same and at the same price with roughly the same features list. The features list of the free PS3 service starts to look very favourable against $100 for Xbox Live.

Seriously though, I'm having a hard time justifying Gold at the current price point, considering how infrequently I play games online. Raising the price would be just about the worst thing imaginable.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By StarFoxA

Absolutely not. I would not pay $100 a year for the privilege to play online.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mordukai
    @PenguinDust:  I am not even willing to pay 50 bucks a year let alone a 100.  Your description of   Michael Pacther made me shoot coke out my nose..Coca Cola that is. 
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By flaminghobo

My parents are already paying £5 a month for XBL, if they had to spend more then this would mean they'd have less money to buy me more games! This makes Hobo, sad.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus

It'd still be less than WoW... so probably. $8.30 a month isn't terrible.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By wefwefasdf

As much as I love Xbox Live, if they raised the price I would be probably be done with it.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By meteora

I like where $50-$60 stands at right now for a year, I basically have to pay $5 each month and that's cheaper than having to pay for WoW. Granted it could be better if they lowered the price, I have no trouble forking over money for Xbox Live. People justify that the service is too expensive or should be made free, blah blah blah. It would be nice to make it free but Microsoft will unlikely do that since they love screwing over their consumers and milking money off them. A price increase would be unlikely seeing how PlayStation Network is starting to improve on its features and its free.

And for people who do bitch about XBL; then just don't get it/don't get a 360. Go get a PlayStation 4 or a PC or a Wii (its free right?).

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fallen189

I don't even use gold

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By canucks23

If they changed it to $100 i'd force myself not to buy it. I'd want it, but i'm not paying that much for something that doesn't really have that much over psn anymore. The only real difference i've noticed now is the partys. (which i love by the way lol)

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blair

That's an absolutely horrible idea.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Branthog
    @PenguinDust said:
    " Everyone's favorite professional "blow hole", analyst Michael Pachter has a new rant over at Gametrailers and it was edited down on 1UP.com.  Pachter believes that because of Microsoft's position in the console market, they are purposely downplaying the PC gaming market.  He believes this is to hook gamers into Xbox Live where they can charge for any and every service a gamer might desire.  With new additional content and features being added to the XBL service, Pachter then suggests that in a few years, Microsoft will reset the price for the service.  The example he gives is moving from $50 to $100.  By then, he contends, gamers will be hooked into the service and be unfamiliar with other options for multiplay gaming. 

So the question then is, considering all the added features and I am certain, more in the future, would you be willing to pay more for Xbox Live than the current suggested fee of $50?  I know, price varies from country to country, but assume the question applies to whatever funny money you use in your homeland.   Would you pay $60, the same as a standard new game?  A $100, as Pachter hypothesizes?  Or, do you think that if Microsoft raises the price any more than what it is, you'll quit the service for a PC or other console? "
    I'm absolutely certain that's where Microsoft's interests lay and it sure explains a lot of the reason Games for Windows Live sucks so bad. Granted, Microsoft does a lot of crappy things (like the interface for Office 2010 - wtf?!), but certainly they could put together a system like that which doesn't completely fail to work and doesn't exist on 90% of new games?

As for pricing? I'll pay $100/yr, if that comes with a free full Netflix streaming subscription and a full subscription to a streaming music service like the Zune offers (both of these usable not only on the 360, but on any device you want, including your computer or Zune or whatever else). In addition, I want a gaurantee that anything I download and pay directly for (DLC for games, full games, XBLA games, music, movies, etc) will always bee available to me if I want to redownload them and that I'll continue to be able to play them into the future, even if it means re-downloading them (don't make me pay for the same digital content on the 360 and then pay for it again on the next system, you fuckers).  Also, give me access to a full streaming radio interface/service via the dashboard and some sort of Hulu-type of service where I can watch anything via i that I would directly on television (only time-shifted) including old content. And maybe throw in a really decent browser and offer me a decent affordable keyboard (preferably just give me a USB port that I can plug any keyboard into for the next version of the XBOX) and maybe we can talk $100.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Scooper

It's already too much. I'm only going to buy it because I want to play MW2 and Super Street Fighter IV on it. If I had a PS3 I'd play online games on there and stay silver on Xbox.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

It's already bad enough they charge people for something that's done free on both PSN and Steam; it doesn't need to get more expensive it needs to be made free.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By CL60
    @WitchHunter_Z said:
    " It's already bad enough they charge people for something that's done free on both PSN and Steam; it doesn't need to get more expensive it needs to be made free. "
    How does Steam have anything to do with anything? People still host servers on Steam games, which costs money. And regardless. Xbox Live costs money because it helps run the service. And it shows beings as it is better then the PSN. 

It should never b e made free, because all that would do is make it an awful service, and I don't want that.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Burns098356GX

I think its retarted we're paying now, I wouldnt pay any more. Especially since Sony offers the exact same service for free. I'll never understand these idiots that think because you pay Microsoft for XBL your getting something better. I still have all the same problems on XBL I get on PSN. Your fucking stupid if you think that money helps run something, unless you consider Major Nelson and those other social rejects that have videos posted on XBL that tell you a bunch of shit you probably already know worth your dollars.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Warfare

Fuck no.  Already pay $49.99 + $99.00 every 12 to 16 months to get the 360 fixed.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By eroticfishcake

I'd pay fuck all to play on Live. Which is why I got a PS3. Being a PC gamer I'm just used to playing without paying.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy

I'm content with the price point right now - it's only around 3-4 dollars per month. That's about the price of a coffee and donut, or a burger. Per month. It only seems big because you need to pay for it all at once - but then once you do you don't have to worry about it for another year. IMO, it's really not that bad at all. Not to mention the service is tons better than other online services and gives you access to SO many things.  

@Warfare: Why do you spend $100 to get it fixed when they do it for free...?

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mhkjtha

i wouldnt be willing to pay anything for xbox live.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Warfare
    @xyzygy:  The replacements don't get a new 3 year warranty so i had to pay.
    Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Famov

$50 a year is peanuts. That's fourteen cents a day. It's a way better value than the television service most of you are paying for. 

Because, even the most infantile of Halo 3 players can not succeed at making Xbox Live suck as much as television.
    krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By krazy_kyle

i would most definitely not pay anymore than what im paying right now, I even think that xbox live is still not worth £35 a year mainly because Microsoft are money grabbing thieves. They make enough money as it is so i dont see why they should charge more for gaming services. Also if the price went up, they will lose customers and eventually, developers. Console manufacturers and Game developers seem to think that all gamers have money growing off a tree in their back garden.
    mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mordecaix7

I would pay a little more, but not much, for these features:

• 5 - 10 pieces of free Avatar Marketplace items a month.
    • Able to make other profiles on my 360 Gold accounts.  (for example, if my wife wants to play online, I should be able to make her a gold account on my 360 without paying another $X.XX to do so.)
    • 1 - 5 free premium themes a month.
    • Ability to delete achievements for the purpose of:
      • Doing some really fun ones over again.
      • removing games you didn't like off your gamerscore.  For example I didn't like Mass Effect and got 1 achievement with it before getting rid of it.  Now it's stuck there, taunting me.  I should be able to delete that if I want.
    Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

It should be free, hell if it was I'd probably just buy a new 360 this year instead of a PS3.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nrain

If they make it much better then sure why not, oh and I want netflix for UK.
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

No. $50 is far too much in the first place. I already spent $199 (admittedly, I should have gotten the Arcade) for the console, $99 for the wireless adapter to get online, $30, I think for the hard drive (the dinky-ass 20GB one), $5 for an HDMI cable, $20 for a headset, and $20 for the charge thingy. At this point I've already spent $370 dollars on a single gaming console, not even including games, and yet I still have to pay $50 a year to play my games online, but even then the dashboard is doused in ads.

If MS increases the price, I'll just not play my 360 online at all, and get a PS3 for that instead. I was already planning on getting one. Xbox Live isn't exactly awesome sometimes. Especially when I get into a game with screaming pre-pubescents. I regret the shit out of spending the $50 when that happens.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By ch13696

I'll tell you how it works. When Microsoft first came out with Xbox Live poeple were real iffy on paying the $50 a year, but they did it anyways. I'm assuming this will go onto their next console. People still want to play with their friends and have the same content so they'll cough it up. So I will tell you the same thing I tell my friend about kids. You won't  do it now. But when it comes around you'll deal with it.

P.S. I'm not bias. I don't even own an Xbox 360 anymore. So all you PS3 fanboys. Don't start. Just please, don't start.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By GunstarRed

I dont mind the £35-40 I pay a year already as I have had very little problems with playing games online..... on the otherhand PSN is free and  I just run into problems and disconnections and horrible lag constantly.... free isn't always better.
    mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mordecaix7
    @PeasForFees said:
    " @mordecaix7 said:

" I would pay a little more, but not much, for these features:

• 5 - 10 pieces of free Avatar Marketplace items a month.
    • Able to make other profiles on my 360 Gold accounts.  (for example, if my wife wants to play online, I should be able to make her a gold account on my 360 without paying another $X.XX to do so.)
    • 1 - 5 free premium themes a month.
    • Ability to delete achievements for the purpose of:
      • Doing some really fun ones over again.
      • removing games you didn't like off your gamerscore.  For example I didn't like Mass Effect and got 1 achievement with it before getting rid of it.  Now it's stuck there, taunting me.  I should be able to delete that if I want.
    "
    And lets just give you £20/$30 odd pieces of shit, which we will charge you £20/$30 for that shit, Then why would you not just buy that crap for yourself, and Microsoft barely let anything out for free anyway, They may as well pay for the Gold anyway as they would lose less money "
    The avatar items and themes are afterthoughts.  The extra online accounts and achievement deletion are something i'd most like to see happen.
    Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Computerplayer1

Would you be willing to pay more to be kicked in the balls?

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By septim

Nope more and more I'm migrating over to all my online being on PSN. If MS wants to blow all the good will they accrued this generation just as Sony is turning the tide on its public perception then they are free to shoot themselves in the foot.

Pachter hasn't been right on most things he "predicts". I seriously doubt this would ever come to pass. I think he almost likes to pull things out of his ass just to rile up gamers and get his name out there more.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MrSnow

It should be free anyways considering the competitation. My next console will be a ps4 as you will make up the extra money you pay for it  with free PSN. Then of coarse if XBL becomes free i would buy an X-box whatever Degeeres

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CptBedlam

With PSN catching up quickly I'm increasingly unwilling to shelve out 40$ for xbl each year. In fact, I downgraded to xbl silver for a few months before renewing it recently.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Heck, man. I hardly even use Xbox Live even though I pay $50 for it. $100 is out of the question.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

They can put it to $1,000,000 a year, I'm sticking with my free Playstation service : )

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jerr

its already fucking expensive
    kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kingkorn69

4.99 a month is all I would pay and no more.  I would go silver on that choice anyday!

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pinkshley1

anyone who is forking over 50$ or more a year for XBOX LIVE right now is aware of other multiplayer options.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Damian

I pay for the game. I pay for the system. I pay for the internet. 
    Not a cent more.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Linkyshinks

No, it's already over priced, and the content you get is pretty lame overall. Microsoft need to maintain the current cost and offer more incentives to remain on or move onto Gold, because the current ones are shit. 

Mezzotint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mezzotint

I bet theres a ton of people that would still pay it, kinda depends if Microsoft wants people to hate them or not.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MeierTheRed

No i would not spend more money on it. I have a hard enough time figuring out of i want so renew my gold membership or not. I had subscribed for 5 years, and i don't feel that i have gotten anything for that money. 

Where i live there is no movie rentals, no Netflix. Only thing i pretty much would pay for is game demos and the right to play online, which is bullshit. And after i got my PS3 a little over a year ago, its been even harder to justify the price of live.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CptBedlam
    @pornstorestiffi said:

" No i would not spend more money on it. I have a hard enough time figuring out of i want so renew my gold membership or not. I had subscribed for 5 years, and i don't feel that i have gotten anything for that money.  Where i live there is no movie rentals, no Netflix. Only thing i pretty much would pay for is game demos and the right to play online, which is bullshit. And after i got my PS3 a little over a year ago, its been even harder to justify the price of live. "

Very true.

I think I'm gonna switch to PS3 for online gaming at some point in the near future if MS continues to charge this price. Right now it's kinda ridiculous to pay for online play and a few demos. And I don't care for twitter, facebook and that sh*t. MS would've to offer free arcade games or movies in order to keep me as a customer. Or make XBL gold free.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Shadow

With the amount of advertisements they shove down our throat already on that thing, hell no.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By oldschool

I am not willing to pay anything, let alone more. 

I have had 2 x 1 month free trials of Gold and they were barely used.  Actually, they weren't used at all.  I am not interested in online, and even less so when paying for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.