Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Something that people forget about the Xbox One

• 110 results
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Mostly that like with the Xbox 360, Microsoft will release tons of massive updates for the Xbox One. Yeah, the PS4's mistakes will likely remain because Sony's post-release support doesn't touch Microsoft's (and the PS3 still has that archaic XMB in 2013, whereas MS updated the 360 UI many times).

So yeah the Xbone should probably get extra points for that.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The xbox UI peaked,like, three updates back. It was only downhill from there, I do not have confidence in their future support.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3 gamer_152  Moderator

You can't praise a console for features that don't exist on it. The details of future updates we'd be commending it for would just be products of our imaginations and even if they weren't wouldn't reflect the current state of that machine. At least some of the advisable updates at this point also involve just cleaning up the mess Microsoft has made in the first place, which doesn't exactly seem like a positive.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What was wrong with the XMB? I loved it, simplistic, easy to use and like a billion times faster than the 360.

And as said above, the past few 360 UI updates were pretty terrible.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have to agree with the others here, the 360 os became increasingly bloated and tiresome to use and that was never an issue with the ps3.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm one of the few people who doesn't have a problem with the current 360 dashboard. All you people wanting the blades back, I dunno, get with the times. It reminds me of my mom complaining that phones used to just call people and now they're so complicated. Things evolve I guess. The fact that the 360 dashboard went through several major overhauls is pretty impressive compared to the PS3 XMB which basically stayed the same for 8 years - and like it or not, it's kinda nuts that Sony would think that in all that time it didn't need a facelift.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The XMB is better than every iteration of the xbox 360 UI.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I'm one of the few people who doesn't have a problem with the current 360 dashboard. All you people wanting the blades back, I dunno, get with the times. It reminds me of my mom complaining that phones used to just call people and now they're so complicated. Things evolve I guess. The fact that the 360 dashboard went through several major overhauls is pretty impressive compared to the PS3 XMB which basically stayed the same for 8 years - and like it or not, it's kinda nuts that Sony would think that in all that time it didn't need a facelift.

its more like saying new coke was better than old coke, and who the hell says that? Microsofts whole metro thing is dumb, it will remain dumb.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@humanity said:

its more like saying new coke was better than old coke, and who the hell says that? Microsofts whole metro thing is dumb, it will remain dumb.

Almost as crazy as saying "the XMB is better than every iteration of the xbox 360 UI" and who in their right mind would say that.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

extra points for shipping an unfinished OS and/or UI? i dont give a fuck if its a console or a game or a damn car, this whole "oh whatever...we'll just fix it later" bull shit mentality these days is despicable. dont fucking put a product out there until its done and ready. patch the problems that arise, dont just blatantly leave out stuff and label things "beta" until you finish them AFTER launch.

its not cool. if you act like it is, you send a message to companies. "keep fucking us. take our money."

and ppl want to give anyone who does this shit credit?

No Caption Provided

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By xyzygy

I do think that the support and the changes coming to the console in the future will be much more drastic and often than what we'll see on the PS4, and that's why I'm not letting the UI (be it good or bad) affect my purchasing decision, even though I really like how it looks. Just take a look back at the Blades dashboard. That was some ugly ass shit and was completely changed into something unrecognizably different. I just see it as something that will inevitably improve so it's exciting.

@naru_joe93 said:

@humanity said:

It's not dumb. The Modern UI (the name Metro was discarded over a year ago FYI, it's just called Microsoft design language) design is a perfect fit for tablets, Touch PCs and Phones. For gaming consoles it's a little different, but now that you can use gestures with Kinect it makes more sense. But at the same time, I never had a problem with it. It's not like you have to go over every tile, use the bumpers to switch between pages and everything is right in front of you.

Also, does anyone else notice that Sony semi-adopted Microsoft's big tile-like approach for their UI this time around too?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ares42

If you wanna talk about the companies attitude towards support I think it's pretty obvious that Sony has figured out that they needed to change and listen more to what people want, while MS had dug themselves more and more into the "our way" mentality. The 360 dashboard might've changed several times, but as time has gone by it's been changed more and more to serve MS' goals, not the consumers.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why people have so low self-esteem that they have to deny every single negative thing about a console they have bought and then complain about the other console. Someone doesn't like xbox one dashboard? So what? You don't have to make imaginary facts about a console since YOU CAN'T SEE IN TO THE FUTURE. Just be happy with what you have right now and don't try to change other people's opinions.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mercutio123

I LIKE THE XMB. I do not understand why people don't, its so much snappier than the xbox 360 dash and it isn't cluttered up with hundreds of adds. I know things are in a slightly weird place sometimes but i find it much easier to find things than on the 360 dash like the settings menu and specifics.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By fattony12000

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Darji

@mcfart said:

Mostly that like with the Xbox 360, Microsoft will release tons of massive updates for the Xbox One. Yeah, the PS4's mistakes will likely remain because Sony's post-release support doesn't touch Microsoft's (and the PS3 still has that archaic XMB in 2013, whereas MS updated the 360 UI many times).

Yeah that is why Sony is already patching stuff like crazy fo example day 2 patch o see if you download a patch or game etc. Sony already said they will patch this until it is good and they already have a huge list to do like MP3 and media server support etc.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll get more updates because they have more to fix. Call that a win I guess.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Xeiphyer

XMB was better than most of the 360's UIs, and each time they updated the 360 UI they made it worse (after the update from the blades, because those sucked hard). So I don't think having more updates means its better, it just means that they were wrong many times and kept fixing it. You don't redesign something that isn't broken.

Anyways I'm not sure why anyone is responding to this troll post by some fanboy. Pretty sure they're both going to support their consoles post launch and fix what people want to be fixed.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I have both and I prefer the PS4's UI, pause/queue downloads notwithstanding.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rethla

Xbones UI is just a huge wall of pictures that looks the same everywhere and doesnt make any sense and dont look good. Even more impressive is they got that shit into most of their games aswell what a joke, why would i want my ancient Rome themed adventure game look like a failed PC desktop design? Logic anyone?

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Never buy anything for what it might be in the future, but for what it is when you buy it.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By spraynardtatum

I haven't forgetten that it can change. I hope it changes for the better because the UI and the all but required voice commands are a big reason why I won't buy it. I just think the track record shows that they've gotten worse as they've gone on.

If the 360 started with the blades and moved to the ad ridden mess that is the current 360 dashboard. I only shutter to think where they go from the metro UI.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

lol. What a nonsense argument. "Xbox will definitely fix their UI. Why? Because I said they would. PS4? No they suck and won't change anything. Why? Because I said they wouldn't." Christ, fanboys are getting old fast.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Please baby, I can change! You know I can!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: You don't have anything to add? Just picture spam?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

The XMB was among the worst interfaces I've ever seen. It was clunky, had too many options, was layed out in a way that made no sense, had a lot of weird rough edges when it came to games. Frankly the Wii UI was loads better than it.

I think that the relationship between the Xbox One, the Wii U and the PS4 UI wise is about the same. Xbox One is clean and robust, Wii U is barebones but works, PS4 is overstuffed and rough.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

@fattony12000: You don't have anything to add? Just picture spam?

Wait until he starts posting his own tweets.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DonPixel

@gamer_152 said:

You can't praise a console for features that don't exist on it. The details of future updates we'd be commending it for would just be products of our imaginations and even if they weren't wouldn't reflect the current state of that machine. At least some of the advisable updates at this point also involve just cleaning up the mess Microsoft has made in the first place, which doesn't exactly seem like a positive.

You can look at trends, There is no reason to think MS won't iterate on their OS, at the end they a gigantic software/cloud company. SONY in the other hand is a hardware manufacture, they usually stay in the comfort zone with little to no updates.

Right now with both consoles you are just buying potential, they both may or not suck in 5 years.. heck for what I know they both may even crash and go out of business in a couple of years.. Talking of now : as much as SONY hyped the PS4 as a game focus console; The Xbone has the most interesting line up right now and apparently for next year's too.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By handlas

really? What?

I think it's more interesting how no one is bringing up the fact that Xbox Live games are 20 dollars now while Playstation is still 15 (actually really free since it's all free with Plus and the system comes with a month free of Plus). I hope Sony doesn't bump up the downloadable games to 20 since MS has decided to do that.

As for the UI. All they have done is taken Windows 8 and applied it to your Xbox. Which looks completely terrible imo. I loved my Windows phone when I had one. Having a screen with 5-6 tiles of info on it is great. Having a big TV with 20 tiles of info and advertisements just looks like a cluttered mess. Opposed to the PS4 UI which is super simplified and streamlined now. It's literally one bar of everything you want. And then additional info in a secondary menu. From the hardware to the UI; I don't even see it as a fair competition... one is so much better than the other.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

XMB is a great system that is well organized. Sure it got slower and less organized the more they added to it but it's still easy to use and elegant in it's simplicity.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Dude... what...?

They ruined the Xbox OS with their updates. Sure, Sony's started out like pure junk but your argument is backwards. The changes Sony made were way bigger. Yes, it was because they had to catch up, but that doesn't affect the volume of change. What did MS do after year 2 - put in more advertisements and paywalls?

Both companies are going to be updating their OS' constantly, especially in the next year or two. I don't think anyone forgot that about Xbox One, the reality is just that the interface is a little obtuse without a Kinect. Sorry, no extra points for that. At least this time both machines were built with updates in mind.

TL,DR: I really liked the (old) 360 interface, was pretty indifferent towards the XMB; I hate Metro and find the new XMB purdy nice.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm almost totally indifferent to every interface - but I don't like how, at some point when I stopped looking, the 360 dashboard became full of ads. It'd be like a new update for windows forcing you to have a load of ads on your desktop - I'm surprised more people don't complain. And if I disconnect from the internet, they just get replaced with a load of ads telling me to get myself connected and buy xbox live gold...

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SomeJerk

Your honour, I present evidence that social marketing companies now use long lived established forum accounts to shill and astroturf for Microsoft

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

Your honour, I present evidence that social marketing companies now use long lived established forum accounts to shill and astroturf for Microsoft

Take this bull shit back to neogaf - Since when you can't legitimately like something without being called a shill/sell out. Talk about turd mentality and the lower common denominator taking over online communities.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@mcfart said:

Your praising them for work they haven't done yet?

Microsoft does not deserve praise for fuck-ups they have yet to rectify. Just like with Windows 8, they released a user interface that isn't designed around what people want, but what Microsoft thinks people should want. They also tied voice commands into the system under the pretense that they're more convenient than using a remote control or Xbox One controller despite the newly introduced learning curve and potential frustration factor. The fact that the UI, at launch, leaves out vital information ranging from controller battery strength to the ability to manage your own game data manually does not bode well. Sure, they've already said that the battery gauge UI fix is coming, but that's the lowest-hanging fruit on the tree.

And never mind the whole mess that was Microsoft's original always-online DRM that they had to work around the clock to get rid of.

People should not be praising the Xbox One for what it could be, potentially, down the line. There is no guarantee that Microsoft will ever improve or adjust the UI in the ways that consumers want to see. Of the three current consoles, it has the worst organized and implemented system UI. The PS4 and Wii U (even at launch) both feature UIs that are cleaner, easier to navigate, provide access to all of the pertinent information that a user would want or need, and offer basic functionality like manual data management that the Xbox One simply does not allow.

The Xbox One UI is a mess and Microsoft deserves to be called out on it. They can receive praise once they've actually done the work to earn it.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@handlas said:

I think it's more interesting how no one is bringing up the fact that Xbox Live games are 20 dollars now while Playstation is still 15 (actually really free since it's all free with Plus and the system comes with a month free of Plus). I hope Sony doesn't bump up the downloadable games to 20 since MS has decided to do that.

That's up to publishers really, not Sony or Microsoft. I bet we'll see all Arcadeish games come up to 20 soon enough. Wasn't a decade ago all XBLA games were 10 dollars. Braid came out and demonstrated that 15 was okay. Soon after that all XBLA games were 15. Will likely be the same on these next gen systems. Prices be going up yo.

Foxhound26621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus said:

Never buy anything for what it might be in the future, but for what it is when you buy it.

Which is why I'll never buy a PS4. Why wait 2 years for ports and 6 years for a handful of David Cage games?

Foxhound26621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@mcfart said:

Microsoft does not deserve praise for fuck-ups they have yet to rectify. Just like with Windows 8, they released a user interface that isn't designed around what people want, but what Microsoft thinks people should want. They also tied voice commands into the system under the pretense that they're more convenient than using a remote control or Xbox One controller despite the newly introduced learning curve and potential frustration factor. The fact that the UI, at launch, leaves out vital information ranging from controller battery strength to the ability to manage your own game data manually does not bode well. Sure, they've already said that the battery gauge UI fix is coming, but that's the lowest-hanging fruit on the tree.

And never mind the whole mess that was Microsoft's original always-online DRM that they had to work around the clock to get rid of.

People should not be praising the Xbox One for what it could be, potentially, down the line. There is no guarantee that Microsoft will ever improve or adjust the UI in the ways that consumers want to see. Of the three current consoles, it has the worst organized and implemented system UI. The PS4 and Wii U (even at launch) both feature UIs that are cleaner, easier to navigate, provide access to all of the pertinent information that a user would want or need, and offer basic functionality like manual data management that the Xbox One simply does not allow.

The Xbox One UI is a mess and Microsoft deserves to be called out on it. They can receive praise once they've actually done the work to earn it.

@somejerk said:

Oh god, what has happened to giantbomb.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus said:

Which is why I'll never buy a PS4. Why wait 2 years for ports and 6 years for a handful of David Cage games?

Huh?

Foxhound26621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Foxhound26621

@hailinel: Microsoft is going to pay for third party exclusives and ps4 will get them 2 or 3 years later. PS4 wont have games untill late into its life cycle and they'll be first party exclusives anyway. No one ever played ps1 or ps2 for the SONY exclusives. ( Crash, spyro, tekken, metal gear etc... are NOT and were NOT FIRST PARTY TITLES)

I don't think Uncharted and god of war REHASHES are anything to get exited about.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By reisz

Don't fall into the trap of supporting something based on what it did in the past. I blindly pre-ordered Forza 5 on these same principles and it has been the single most disappointing gaming purchase I've ever made.

Times change, management changes, motivations change. You can't predict the future. Don't praise things for quality's you hope they will have.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Microsoft is going to pay for third party exclusives and ps4 will get them 2 or 3 years later. PS4 wont have games untill late into its life cycle and they'll be first party exclusives anyway. No one ever played ps1 or ps2 for the SONY exclusives. ( Crash, spyro, tekken, metal gear etc... are NOT and were NOT FIRST PARTY TITLES)

I don't think Uncharted and god of war REHASHES are anything to get exited about.

They're "going to pay" for exclusives, meaning that they haven't paid for these exclusives yet, meaning that they might never pay for as many exclusives as you would assume.

Foxhound26621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to mention how POORLY Sony handles their online service
    So far we've had Security breaches, slow downloads , glitched storefronts, SLOW UI, Horribly organized store, slow updates, disconnections....

http://tech2.in.com/news/gaming/sony-resets-playstation-network-account-passwords-for-suspicious-activity/921650

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DonPixel

@hailinel said:

@mcfart said:

There is about a lot that needs to be improve in the Xbone, there is no denying about that. Yet people short memory still amuse me, lets not kid ourself here SONY won a lot of good will with their E3 no DMR little show, all the sudden people forgot about :

-Years of shitty online services

-Years of glacial download speeds and gigantic updates on PSN

-Years of none to basic social features

-Crap-tasctular to no support of online services, Got your account hacked? hee good luck with that.

-All the sudden people forgot the PSN hack/shortage, hey guys we lost all your info: PSN is going to be down like 3 months.

With all that said I'm not trying to imply one company is morally superior to the other, they kind of the same to me. Following trends there is not a lot of reasons to give blind good will to either of both, if so MS at least have a story of robust online/security unlike sony.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I still think NXE was the best of all of them.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel said:

There is about a lot that needs to be improve in the Xbone, there is no denying about that. Yet people short memory still amuse me, lets not kid ourself here SONY won a lot of good will with their E3 no DMR little show, all the sudden people forgot about :

-Years of shitty online services

-Years of glacial download speeds and gigantic updates on PSN

-Years of none to basic social features

-Crap-tasctular to no support of online services, Got your account hacked? hee good luck with that.

-All the sudden people forgot the PSN hack/shortage, hey guys we lost all your info: PSN is going to be down like 3 months.

With all that said I'm not trying to imply one company is morally superior to the other, they kind of the same to me. Following trends there is not a lot of reasons to give blind good will to either of both, if so MS at least have a story of robust online/security unlike sony.

I'm not saying that Sony hasn't had or doesn't have their own issues to resolve, but in terms of the current system UI situation, the PS4 is well ahead of the Xbox One in terms of design and functionality.

earlygrab666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By earlygrab666

xbox UI= designed to place ads

PS UI=designed to use console

not even a fanboy statement, just a fact of life.

Foxhound26621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's plenty of ads on the PS UI. Where have you been?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

not even a fanboy statement, just a fact of life.

Clarifying that this isn't a fanboy statement doesn't effect that fact that it reads like it came out of a fanboy comment generator.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.