Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Why I picked to get a X1 and E3 highlights.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@the_laughing_man said:

I can face the Camera to look at the wall.

I'm not actually sure you could do that. Considering that they've stated that the kinect has the ability to recognize whether or not you're actually looking at the camera to decide whether or not to recognize your voice commands, pointing it towards the wall sounds like it would fuck everything up since it would no longer be able to see that you're there playing the game. That said, though, they have said there is a "pause" feature on the kinect. What exactly that means though, who knows right now. Though I do find it unsettling that you can't even turn the Kinect off without turning off the whole xbox. Though that raises the interesting question and point that - not only does The One have to hold together and not fall apart every couple of years like the 360 did with it's massive amounts of red rings (and if you never fell victim to that, you're lucky, or if you did and you don't consider that them doing you wrong, then I'm surprised) but the Kinect cannot fail at any point in time either or the console becomes useless, and on top of all of that, the service can never go down either or the console becomes useless. Thinking about that, just as a personal thought, that sounds crazy that where Microsoft couldn't even get one point to keep from failing they've now tripled it to three possible points of failure that can cause the system to die.

The only other thing I want to add is that I find it strange that you seem to blame Mattrick for all of the PR blundering while saying "but it's ok because Microsoft is now trying to get him to be quiet." Isn't it Microsoft's fault for not only putting him out there in the first place but putting him out there and letting him run his mouth for this long? I mean, his missteps aren't contained just to E3, they've been happening since the console was unveiled. Yet time and again Microsoft has put him out there as the guy to spread the word. Microsoft is also the reason why there's been no singular message from their staff this whole time. It hasn't *just* been Mattrick (though he has been the worse) the other problem has been that there's so little consistency in their messaging where one person to the next not only doesn't know what's going on, but they haven't been trained on how to answer any of those questions - like Cliffy B. said (paraphrasing here) "It's like amateur hour out there." and this is one of the two big bad companies running the video game console show. I'd also offer up the counter argument to "but Sony screwed this up too." is that - yes, they did, and it bit them in the ass and they spent eight years working their way back up from that - and that's the difference; Sony screwed up and has been making amends since then, Microsoft watched Sony screw up and said "I bet we can get away with that kind of shit too." they didn't learn from Sony's mistake and that's almost worse to me than Sony making their blunder the first time.

The entire thing about the Kinect is a joke to me. There are so many other things MS could do to record you and not have a big ol camera making it obvious. If they really wanted to get your info they would have the camera be a decoy and have a sort of recording device inside the system. They KNOW that all sort of tech guys will rip both of them apart *I hope Will and Norm get their hands on a X1 and strip that baby*

As for the PR stuff. From what it looks like Mattrick is saying stuff wrong and MS is trying to correct him or something.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By oldenglishc

Jesus, ass-hole! How dare you spend your own hard earned money on a thing that you want! But seriously, some of you people are fucking ba-nay-nay.

Back to the topic at hand. The Panzer Dragoon sequel and D4 were all it took to sell me an Xbone, but not until after a price drop or two.

chavafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By chavafx

ok youcrazy paranoid blinded haters hereis a list of all the official things you can do with xboxone

1--yes you can mute/ pause turn of the kinect camera

2-- yes you can sell buy games at retail (if third party publishers allow it .same for ps4))

3--yes you can share youre games with upto 10 friends/family no disc needed in youre hous or 1000 miles away

4-yes you can use the usb 3.0 for external hard drives and install all the games there if youlike even in a ssd drive

5-xboxive gold is now in all accaunts in the same console so you can have any number of gamertas with only one gold sub.

so please stop the spread of lies if you care about games right now xbox one is the place to go

here is the lick to that wach the ms conference games games games games and then wach the sony conference is like the extencion of the game you can play on xboxone 57 mins of games you can buy on xboxone haha

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus, ass-hole! How dare you spend your own hard earned money on a thing that you want! But seriously, some of you people are fucking ba-nay-nay.

Back to the topic at hand. The Panzer Dragoon sequel and D4 were all it took to sell me an Xbone, but not until after a price drop or two.

It was pretty. And I did really love Panzer Dragoon. But I was sad the dragon died.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@chavafx said:

ok youcrazy paranoid blinded haters hereis a list of all the official things you can do with xboxone

2-- yes you can sell buy games at retail (if third party publishers allow it .same for ps4))

3--yes you can share youre games with upto 10 friends/family no disc needed in youre hous or 1000 miles away

4-yes you can use the usb 3.0 for external hard drives and install all the games there if youlike even in a ssd drive

5-xboxive gold is now in all accaunts in the same console so you can have any number of gamertas with only one gold sub.

so please stop the spread of lies if you care about games right now xbox one is the place to go

here is the lick to that wach the ms conference games games games games and then wach the sony conference is like the extencion of the game you can play on xboxone 57 mins of games you can buy on xboxone haha

Please. You have to work on your grammar and overall writing capabilities. I like what I see of the Xbox One and it's the console I'm leaning towards, but you're really not helping anything by being like... this.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By tescovee

@xyzygy I think that they are just hijacking this?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chavafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By chavafx

@xyzygy said:

@chavafx said:

Please. You have to work on your grammar and overall writing capabilities. I like what I see of the Xbox One and it's the console I'm leaning towards, but you're really not helping anything by being like... this.

well sorry for my frustation but like %90 of the so call media/ gamers are just not reading the official statement

and all of the internet so call gamers they only talk bs or lies or drm here spyng / crazy talk

and yet xboxone blow me with somany games and they show the ui wich looks great they show all of the features/xbox live twich and for a gamer likeme i just can't belive that sony is getting all the credit with so little just because of the price/drm old ways

xboxone is far much better as a system right now and all people talks is bs

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chavafx said:

Point one I wanted to say that you cannot actually turn the kinect off without turning off the console (according to their statement on the matter.) Since when they mention turning the kinect off they said that "you can turn the kinect off by saying xbox off." which means turning it off means turning off the whole console, which, if we're pitching "you can turn the console off" as a feature I gotta say that sounds pretty bad.

As for point two, it's not the same as for PS4. While the general sentiment is the same, the difference here is that games for The One will require an extra step on the end of retailers, who only Microsoft gets to determine who those retailers are, to make the trading and selling of games possible. And while you side stepped it, I would add that you can sell them at select retailers but you cannot sell or buy them from other people.

Point three, well, honestly I'm waiting for more information on the subject because I feel there are still questions that need to be answered because as pitched this is a far more egregious system for publishers concerned about used games sales than the used game system we currently live with.

Four and five sound about right. Point five sounds silly to me that it wasn't that way from the beginning though, but, that's besides the point.

Finally grammar aside, I'm having a hard time figuring out if I actually understand your last sentence or not, but, Sony showed as many games as Microsoft did and, in my opinion, made it feel more like they actually care about those games and their publishers instead of just parading out a list of games and calling it good. But that may just be because Sony gave a much stronger showing for the indie games than Microsoft did. This isn't to say that Microsoft did a poor job of showing games; there are clearly some games they showed that appeal to some people out there, but by no means was it a clean sweep victory for Microsoft making a compelling argument that "if you like games, go with us and not those other guys, because those other guys don't actually like games like we like games." If you care about games, you should be looking at both consoles, not just one or the other, while also looking at the PC and at the Wii U and the Vita and the 3DS. No one company has a cornered market on "games worth playing" though the games each console has exclusive rights to may appeal to different people, they all have games that are worth playing.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chavafx said:

Point one I wanted to say that you cannot actually turn the kinect off without turning off the console (according to their statement on the matter.) Since when they mention turning the kinect off they said that "you can turn the kinect off by saying xbox off." which means turning it off means turning off the whole console, which, if we're pitching "you can turn the console off" as a feature I gotta say that sounds pretty bad.

As for point two, it's not the same as for PS4. While the general sentiment is the same, the difference here is that games for The One will require an extra step on the end of retailers, who only Microsoft gets to determine who those retailers are, to make the trading and selling of games possible. And while you side stepped it, I would add that you can sell them at select retailers but you cannot sell or buy them from other people.

Point three, well, honestly I'm waiting for more information on the subject because I feel there are still questions that need to be answered because as pitched this is a far more egregious system for publishers concerned about used games sales than the used game system we currently live with.

Four and five sound about right. Point five sounds silly to me that it wasn't that way from the beginning though, but, that's besides the point.

Finally grammar aside, I'm having a hard time figuring out if I actually understand your last sentence or not, but, Sony showed as many games as Microsoft did and, in my opinion, made it feel more like they actually care about those games and their publishers instead of just parading out a list of games and calling it good. But that may just be because Sony gave a much stronger showing for the indie games than Microsoft did. This isn't to say that Microsoft did a poor job of showing games; there are clearly some games they showed that appeal to some people out there, but by no means was it a clean sweep victory for Microsoft making a compelling argument that "if you like games, go with us and not those other guys, because those other guys don't actually like games like we like games." If you care about games, you should be looking at both consoles, not just one or the other, while also looking at the PC and at the Wii U and the Vita and the 3DS. No one company has a cornered market on "games worth playing" though the games each console has exclusive rights to may appeal to different people, they all have games that are worth playing.

Ignore him please.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By xyzygy

@chavafx said:

@xyzygy said:

@chavafx said:

well sorry for my frustation but like %90 of the so call media/ gamers are just not reading the official statement

and all of the internet so call gamers they only talk bs or lies or drm here spyng / crazy talk

and yet xboxone blow me with somany games and they show the ui wich looks great they show all of the features/xbox live twich and for a gamer likeme i just can't belive that sony is getting all the credit with so little just because of the price/drm old ways

xboxone is far much better as a system right now and all people talks is bs

I fully agree with you, but just think about all that stuff and how awesome it will be to have. Don't even bother with other people. The systems will prove themselves. Just be proud that you're sticking with X1!

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't see why people are ragging on his choice. He's not trying to spin most of the negatives into positives like some people are. He's simply saying they don't personally affect him, and the Xbox One has an exclusive he likes. Perhaps, like myself, you don't see any Microsoft exclusives that have convinced you and see PS4 exclusives you want, so choose a PS4 - not because it's not as restrictive as the Xbox One or the lower price, but because of games.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree that Microsoft has never scorned you. If you are a gamer, Microsoft has scorned you with the sacrifices they have made for publishers, and for the absolutely insane things they have done through PR.

Dauthi693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Dauthi693

@chibithor said:

@the_laughing_man: Loads of places, I'd imagine.

But Steam is a digital distribution platform. Digital games require a connection at least once, even if that was something you had a problem with it's unavoidable. This is true to PSN and XBLA and people were fine with that this entire generation.

Steam DRM is there to ruduce piracy, where as the X1 DRM is there to control used games. I also feel steam is only as good as it is because its an open platform with competitors keeping them honest.

I'm not saying the X1 eco system isn't a valid one just that for the current time i don't think its the best. They should be slowly introducing these system throughout the console as and when games need when devs/publishers want/need them instead of dumping a pile of polices on us that no one seems to fully understand(not even microsoft).

@chavafx said:

@the_laughing_man said:
    @chavafx said:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=xbox%20one&sprefix=xbox+%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Axbox%20one

xboxone out selling the ps4 in the walmart / amazon can you haters read best selling item haha

I think it is because the PS4 are limited right now.

I think this pick is also because I really enjoy strange tech. The kinect fasinates me along with the Snap stuff for the UI. Never understood why but I love me a sexy UI.

Maybe its because Im not intrested in it as a game console but a piece of tech?

hahahahaha limited???? you can clearly see they both say avaluable topre order its funny to see the hates respod with this is the xbox one that is soldout at gamestop right now at 2 local stores and not the ps4

xbox one is out selling ps4 in walmart amazon for the last 3 days once people actually see the console and they will see wich console really haves the better

1- online service xbox live is on the 3rd gen with 300.000 servers all games with dedicated servers and psn??

sony did not show new games or the ui or the psn service why is tha?? i think i know inferior

2-the now perfect controller for all types of games xbox one

3-yes is 499 vs 399 but you are getting a next gen kinekt that will make youre console feel futuristic and cool

4- yes drm for a reason no disc needed to run all games like its a tv channel plus yes you can sell buy used games

5-if you think sony can really match xbox next gen xboxlive you are just blind i have both psn is not nearly as good for a service

once the console comes out mark my word america/ well debeloped countrys will love the xbox one and ps4 is going to feel like a ps3 with better graphics .. now that i see all what the xb1 haves i can tell is well desing in all aspects even in the multy media

Just from using the amazon link above and looking at the bestsellers list i can tell your probably wrong about the x1 outselling the ps4.

yes the xbox 1 lunch edition is currently out selling the ps4 standard edition but just looking at the ten 10 you can see this:-

1: Xbox one launch edition

2: The last of us (PS3)

3: ps4 standard edition

4:ps4 battlefield 4 launch day bundle

5:ps4 watch dogs launch day bundle

6: psn $20 card

7:ps4 killzone launch day bundle

8: animal crossing

9: Dualshock 4 controller

10:ps4 launch day edition Sold out (from 6/12 i think i read that somewhere)

others to note

16,17,19,27,29,38,45,47,50,92,95,98 are ps4 games

24: Xbox 1 controller

25,28,33,34,37,65,82,93 Xbox one games

41: ps4 knack launch day bundle

Basicly why i'm listed those above is the Xbox box one launch edition sales are consoladated into 1 listing which is outselling any of the ps4 listings BUT the ps4 launch edition is sold out and currently sitting at number 10 while all current sales are split between 5 entries numbers 3,4,5,7,41 which when combined i assume would be more than the Xbox one sales. The differnce on the platforms respective controllers and games postions in the chart also seem to suggest this.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

I disagree that Microsoft has never scorned you. If you are a gamer, Microsoft has scorned you with the sacrifices they have made for publishers, and for the absolutely insane things they have done through PR.

They haven't scorned me, do you disagree with me as well? I feel like this isn't even something one can "disagree" with.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Barrock

@xyzygy said:

@barrock said:

They haven't scorned me, do you disagree with me as well? I feel like this isn't even something one can "disagree" with.

Just an opinion. It just feels like they have scorned anyone who plays games with a lot of what they have done.

Doesn't matter anyway. It's you who will be making the purchase.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By PillClinton

PLAY. THE GAME.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's cool. Why did you feel compelled to make a super long post on it to justify to all the people on Giantbomb who don't care? I don't see why all these people are posting "I'm getting XXX system and here's why!!!". That's great you're getting a system, NO ONE CARES WHY. This isn't livejournal.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's cool. Why did you feel compelled to make a super long post on it to justify to all the people on Giantbomb who don't care? I don't see why all these people are posting "I'm getting XXX system and here's why!!!". That's great you're getting a system, NO ONE CARES WHY. This isn't livejournal.

I was bored. And wanted to voice why I was picking something other then the vast majoity picked. Maybe give insight onto the other side. Most people are" Why would anyone ever pick that system"

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By mrfluke

hey you know, if the policies are no trouble to you and you see something that you're digging on the xbone, then more power to ya, no snark, no bull.

im going the ps4 route, yes yes, ultimately the policies wont fully be bothering most folks...

(i do sincerely sympathize with the cases that the xbox one completely says fuck you to though),

.....but i just simply like having the assurance that my games can work offline and i just like physical copies of games.

Respawn guys have been coy on twitter saying that the titanfall IP wont remain full xbox exclusive, so im down to wait for the multiplatform release of titanfall 2 when there is a single player campaign.

, normally i would just say fuck everything and get the xbox one for the new halo, but i thought halo 4 was very disappointing so i really lost the care i had for that series, so i kinda dont care about halo 5. and with cliff gone from epic, same goes for gears as i didnt really care for gears judgement also. and then fable 3 sucked, so their big first party trio doesn't appeal to me anymore.

so im gonna wait and see what the next wave of exclusives are before i even think about an xbox one again.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#121  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@the_laughing_man: This is a blog, so you have every right to write on whyever the fuck you want an XONE. Fuck 'em.

And I agree with most of this stuff. Insert THIS^^. Kay.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

hey you know, if the policies are no trouble to you and you see something that you're digging on the xbone, then more power to ya, no snark, no bull.

im going the ps4 route, yes yes, ultimately the policies wont fully be bothering most folks...

(i do sincerely sympathize with the cases that the xbox one completely says fuck you to though),

.....but i just simply like having the assurance that my games can work offline and i just like physical copies of games.

Respawn guys have been coy on twitter saying that the titanfall IP wont remain full xbox exclusive, so im down to wait for the multiplatform release of titanfall 2 when there is a single player campaign.

, normally i would just say fuck everything and get the xbox one for the new halo, but i thought halo 4 was very disappointing so i really lost the care i had for that series, so i kinda dont care about halo 5. and with cliff gone from epic, same goes for gears as i didnt really care for gears judgement also. and then fable 3 sucked, so their big first party trio doesn't appeal to me anymore.

so im gonna wait and see what the next wave of exclusives are before i even think about an xbox one again.

Ya I am sure in a year or year in a half Titan Fall 2 will come out. And Halo 5 or what ever has no release date yet I do not think.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@the_laughing_man said:

@commandergermanshepard said:

Family sharing doesn't mean you and 10 others can play the same game, it means you can give someone a game who is on your "family list". None of that stuff is worth making game discs completely invaluable once they have been redeemed like a PC game, the new generation of gamers probably don't have an issue with this, but as someone that still has all their favourite games from my child hood as well as the consoles and being able to play them any time is something I value.

They can play if I am not playing it. But ya. For that first few days that game is all mine.

No I'm pretty sure you can share it with one person. Then it has been "shared". But who knows with all the misinformation coming out of Xbox. I heard my friends the other day talking about only 1 of us would have to buy BF4 or FIFA 14 and we could all play it at the same time...yeah like EA is going to let that happen. I feel like MS is spreading these rumors.

Loading Video...

Wait... Angry Joe got an Interview with MS and GB got shot down? What Madness is this?

Anyway, trollface aside I think the main problem people have with MS is that they're untrustworthy. You can tout features all you want but the fact of the matter is no one knows what the hell MS's endgame is, all they've made clear is that they dont give a damn about consumer rights and they have billions to spend on holding franchises you might care about hostage.

I hope i'm wrong and I hope MS see the error in their ways but if people blindly place faith in a company that doesnt deserve it things wont get any better.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

Ya I am sure in a year or year in a half Titan Fall 2 will come out. And Halo 5 or what ever has no release date yet I do not think.

nah halo 5 is confirmed for next year, https://twitter.com/DavidEllis/status/344151003467218944

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Family sharing doesn't mean you and 10 others can play the same game, it means you can give someone a game who is on your "family list". None of that stuff is worth making game discs completely invaluable once they have been redeemed like a PC game, the new generation of gamers probably don't have an issue with this, but as someone that still has all their favourite games from my child hood as well as the consoles and being able to play them any time is something I value.

They can play if I am not playing it. But ya. For that first few days that game is all mine.

No I'm pretty sure you can share it with one person. Then it has been "shared". But who knows with all the misinformation coming out of Xbox. I heard my friends the other day talking about only 1 of us would have to buy BF4 or FIFA 14 and we could all play it at the same time...yeah like EA is going to let that happen. I feel like MS is spreading these rumors.

Loading Video...

Wait... Angry Joe got an Interview with MS and GB got shot down? What Madness is this?

Anyway, trollface aside I think the main problem people have with MS is that they're untrustworthy. You can tout features all you want but the fact of the matter is no one knows what the hell MS's endgame is, all they've made clear is that they dont give a damn about consumer rights and they have billions to spend on holding franchises you might care about hostage.

I hope i'm wrong and I hope MS see the error in their ways but if people blindly place faith in a company that doesnt deserve it things wont get any better.

He rushed nelson between things.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@barrock said:

@xyzygy said:

@barrock said:

Just an opinion. It just feels like they have scorned anyone who plays games with a lot of what they have done.

Do you think Steam scorned you? Or do you not play PC games.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#127  Edited By toowalrus

I'm going to end up with an xbox eventually, no doubt. I'm still a sucker for Halo at heart- I can't deny that. Like you, none of the online restrictions Microsoft is imposing will effect me in any way, and while Kinect games don't interest me, there's going to be plenty of traditional games out there for me.

However, I'm buying a PS4 at launch because Killzone and InFamous both look really good, and I can play Titanfall on my PC. It's also what most of my friends are going with this generation, and the fact that I shove a game disc into my cousin's chest and say "Play this and fucking trust me" is still rad.

Also, thank you, I need a good reminder every once and awhile about how fucking awesome Cowboy Bebop is.

No Caption Provided

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to end up with an xbox eventually, no doubt. I'm still a sucker for Halo at heart- I can't deny that. Like you, none of the online restrictions Microsoft is imposing will effect me in any way, and while Kinect games don't interest me, there's going to be plenty of traditional games out there for me.

However, I'm buying a PS4 at launch because Killzone and InFamous both look really good, and I can play Titanfall on my PC. It's also what most of my friends are going with this generation, and the fact that I shove a game disc into my cousin's chest and say "Play this and fucking trust me" is still rad.

Also, thank you, I need a good reminder every once and awhile about how fucking awesome Cowboy Bebop is.

No Caption Provided

FUCKING FINELY. I was so mad no one made mention of that.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
    CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man said:

@boozak said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Loading Video...

He rushed nelson between things.

And Angry Joe has way more viewers than GB by a long shot, plus he is the only person that asked him questions that matter.

Evaporated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikewarrior: Probably the same way PS3 fans felt before it came out. People seem to forget that back then it seemed like Sony was trying their hardest to make people hate them. Just like MS is doing now. Yeah, Mattrick needs a damn muzzle for telling people to just buy a 360 if they don't want to deal with the online check-in. But is that really worse then Ken Kutaragi telling people to just get a second job if can't afford the PS3? Or what about when Jack Tretton had this to say about backwards compatility: "I would like my car to fly and make me breakfast, but that’s an unrealistic expectation."

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The X1 comes across as the console for 5 years from now. One day lending a friend a disc won't matter because you'll buy it all digitally. DRM won't matter because you'll be online all the time anyways. It's all Steam essentially.

They just did a horrendous job of marketing.

My friend can lend me his steam password and let me play all his games...in fact I just beat bioshock infinite thanks to a friend like that. I know a ton of people that do that sort of thing honestly, and nothing like that will even be possible on the xbox one unless that family thing works out as the best possible scenario (which it won't, too good to be true usually is).

I don't know, I personally think calling the X1 the "console for 5 years from now" is a little disingenuous because it assumes the ps4 isn't. The PS4 can do pretty much whatever the X1 can do, considering Jack Tretton said any business model is supported. So the PS4 has less restrictions at launch, and if the X1 model turns steam-like, the PS4 can do that too. You're right, one day disc-based media won't matter, but for games, the downloads are massive compared to other media. These consoles use Blu-ray discs meaning the games can be up to, what, 50GB this gen? Maybe that isn't a problem for some people, but a LOT of this country would have an issue with downloads of that size for a good long while. Also, I don't see why I should want to buy a console that won't realize it's potential until a few years before it becomes irrelevant....if that's the case, Sony did the right thing by not committing to a digital future too early.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why I would bother with an X1 when I have a good PC, I can live without Halo but I have to admit that I'm interested in seeing how the X1 progresses over the years. I want to see if they can make the Steam model work on a console, that could be big....but also that requires way too much trust for me to put into a closed ecosystem at launch and hope that MS does the right thing, at least on PC I have other options.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spartyon said:

@finaldasa said:

The X1 comes across as the console for 5 years from now. One day lending a friend a disc won't matter because you'll buy it all digitally. DRM won't matter because you'll be online all the time anyways. It's all Steam essentially.

My friend can lend me his steam password and let me play all his games...in fact I just beat bioshock infinite thanks to a friend like that. I know a ton of people that do that sort of thing honestly, and nothing like that will even be possible on the xbox one unless that family thing works out as the best possible scenario (which it won't, too good to be true usually is).

I don't know, I personally think calling the X1 the "console for 5 years from now" is a little disingenuous because it assumes the ps4 isn't. The PS4 can do pretty much whatever the X1 can do, considering Jack Tretton said any business model is supported. So the PS4 has less restrictions at launch, and if the X1 model turns steam-like, the PS4 can do that too. You're right, one day disc-based media won't matter, but for games, the downloads are massive compared to other media. These consoles use Blu-ray discs meaning the games can be up to, what, 50GB this gen? Maybe that isn't a problem for some people, but a LOT of this country would have an issue with downloads of that size for a good long while. Also, I don't see why I should want to buy a console that won't realize it's potential until a few years before it becomes irrelevant....if that's the case, Sony did the right thing by not committing to a digital future too early.

Which breaks the Steam subscriber agreement.

I don't see why I would bother with an X1 when I have a good PC, I can live without Halo but I have to admit that I'm interested in seeing how the X1 progresses over the years. I want to see if they can make the Steam model work on a console, that could be big....but also that requires way too much trust for me to put into a closed ecosystem at launch and hope that MS does the right thing, at least on PC I have other options.

I do not have a good PC.

@mikewarrior: Probably the same way PS3 fans felt before it came out. People seem to forget that back then it seemed like Sony was trying their hardest to make people hate them. Just like MS is doing now. Yeah, Mattrick needs a damn muzzle for telling people to just buy a 360 if they don't want to deal with the online check-in. But is that really worse then Ken Kutaragi telling people to just get a second job if can't afford the PS3? Or what about when Jack Tretton had this to say about backwards compatility: "I would like my car to fly and make me breakfast, but that’s an unrealistic expectation."

Did...he really say that about the Car?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Barrock

@barrock said:

@xyzygy said:

@barrock said:

Do you think Steam scorned you? Or do you not play PC games.

Nope. But I don't see Steam as a platform. I see it as as a service, most of which don't work offline. If I'm going to pay $500 for a box, it needs to play single player games whenever I have power.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
    CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

@commandergermanshepard: Too bad he cant conduct an interview without rambling and interrupting people.

Why? He actually has the only worthwhile interview with Major Nelsen. Because he asks the questions that people actually care about instead of "HOW COOL IS THE NEXT HALO?!?!?!?"

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By sdharrison

Amazing how passionately some people are backing Microsoft. Get the damn thing for the software if you want, but you don't have to tow the line. The policies suck, and limit choice. It's publisher first, consumer second, end of story. If that doesn't bother you, and you simply cannot wait to play whatever the hell Quantum Break is, go for it.

Also, why do people keep saying Quantum Break looks "fucking awesome"? We know literally nothing about that game aside from some very badly acted live action and pre-rendered marketing material. I'm ready to be blown away, and I just haven't seen enough to even call that a thing. That narrative out of e3 has confused me...

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie said:

I do not have a good PC.

Which is why I would go PS4 first if I was in a similar situation and then watch MS to see if they shape that platform in the right direction.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing how passionately some people are backing Microsoft. Get the damn thing for the software if you want, but you don't have to tow the line. The policies suck, and limit choice. It's publisher first, consumer second, end of story. If that doesn't bother you, and you simply cannot wait to play whatever the hell Quantum Break is, go for it.

Also, why do people keep saying Quantum Break looks "fucking awesome"? We know literally nothing about that game aside from some very badly acted live action and pre-rendered marketing material. I'm ready to be blown away, and I just haven't seen enough to even call that a thing. That narrative out of e3 has confused me...

Quantum Break looks fucking awesome!

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By sdharrison

@boozak said:

@commandergermanshepard: Too bad he cant conduct an interview without rambling and interrupting people.

Why? He actually has the only worthwhile interview with Major Nelsen. Because he asks the questions that people actually care about instead of "HOW COOL IS THE NEXT HALO?!?!?!?"

I thought he was stilted, but I totally can relate. He's a real person, and it would be crazy intimidating to go toe to toe with a guy who makes 6-7 figures doing PR. Joe also did a great interview about the new Saints Row game. Asked tough questions and didn't just turn it into a glorified commercial for the game. He's rough around the edges, but I prefer that to the universal asskissing that every other game journalist provides.

Evaporated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evaporated said:

Did...he really say that about the Car?

He did. http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2007/12/ken-kutaragi-cr/

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spartyon said:

@finaldasa said:

Which breaks the Steam subscriber agreement.

I never said it didn't, I just said there were still ways to do what the xbox one won't let you do. To say this is just a horrible marketing job is ridiculous to me...it's horrible decision-making. Look at Games for Windows Prices or Games on Demand Prices and tell me if Microsoft has earned consumer faith that they will follow a steam-like pricing model? Simply put, the restrictions Microsoft is putting in place don't make sense for a large portion of consumers. Also, like I said before, if this is TRULY a plan for the future, it's terrible timing AND implementation. The Xbox One puts all its eggs into that all-digital basket happening RIGHT NOW, while Sony let's people stick with what they're comfortable with now, with the ability to shift to the all-digital future as it begins to take a greater hold in the console market. Keep in mind, steam operates on a FAR different platform than consoles, and has been around for a decade....yeah. Steam was launched 2 years after THE ORIGINAL XBOX, and not by a hardware manufacturer. This is not steam now, nor will it be any time soon. Maybe that's the dream, but I don't see why that's a safer, or smarter, bet than the dream offered by Sony.....for $100 less.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#145  Edited By ThePickle

@chavafx said:

Have you played any of the games yourself? If the answer is no than you have no idea what you are talking about. The games aren't out yet. (also, most of the games they showed are either coming to PC or PS4). Did you see the Xbone reveal event? Games seems like the lowest thing on the Xbone "To Do List."

And the "spread of lies" is Microsoft's own doing. They had the biggest stage in gaming that they could have used to clarify the issues people had. They didn't. They shut up and let it spiral out of control. Not to mention the fact that they created the shitty policies in the first place.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm leaning more towards the PS4 for this run right now, though I probably won't get one at launch. I don't even think my Internet meets the X1's requirements. Still a little confused on that aspect. Overall, the PS4 is seeming a better option for me right now, and there's also a good chunk of games that will be up for PC as well.

But hey, it's your money and you're free to spend it how you want.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

We know literally nothing about that game aside from some very badly acted live action and pre-rendered marketing material. I'm ready to be blown away, and I just haven't seen enough to even call that a thing.

It's a third person shooter made by Remedy. We know that much.

"Ready to be blown away" Who do you think you're fooling?

Since E3, you have been hating on the Xbox One and anyone who likes it.

The E3 trailer is not pre-rendered either. Remedy says at much. People overuse the term hater but that's obviously what you are.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#148  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

@spartyon: If Microsoft did go to an all digital future they wouldn't have to worry about stores like Walmart and Best Buy pricing and thus could adjust their digital prices however they see fit. It's how Steam is able to give pricing control to content providers. Steam also launched to horrible reception by consumers who now grasp onto Steam and refuse to let go (despite it not being the anti-DRM service some act like it is).

I agree the PS4 is a box for today's market and is a much better deal (and probably what I'll purchase some time next year). I think other than the 24 hour check in everything the Xbox One will do is right in line with an all digital future. Even the country list could change before now and the console release.

And it does come down to marketing. Everything we've seen about any of these consoles has been all company controlled marketing. Really we should all wait and see how these services act in practice and how they really work before making full judgement calls and purchasing decisions.

w1n5t0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By w1n5t0n

People expect different things from a consoles selling a physical product. I have many options on PC including Steam, Origin, GOG, Amazon, Humble Bundle, Green Man Gaming, Direct 2 Drive, etc. Consoles are a walled garden and people expect the physical products they buy for it to have physical value.

Evaporated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spartyon: If Microsoft did go to an all digital future they wouldn't have to worry about stores like Walmart and Best Buy pricing and thus could adjust their digital prices however they see fit. It's how Steam is able to give pricing control to content providers. Steam also launched to horrible reception by consumers who now grasp onto Steam and refuse to let go (despite it not being the anti-DRM service some act like it is).

I agree the PS4 is a box for today's market and is a much better deal (and probably what I'll purchase some time next year). I think other than the 24 hour check in everything the Xbox One will do is right in line with an all digital future. Even the country list could change before now and the console release.

And it does come down to marketing. Everything we've seen about any of these consoles has been all company controlled marketing. Really we should all wait and see how these services act in practice and how they really work before making full judgement calls and purchasing decisions.

Not only the country list, but also pretty much everything else people have issues with. Since all the DRM and check-in stuff is all software side, all it'll take is a system update to change any of it. We'll just have to see what they do in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.