Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Why I picked to get a X1 and E3 highlights.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By TruthTellah

@shinjin977 said:

@truthtellah said:

@shinjin977 said:

@truthtellah said:

@shinjin977 said:

You are of cause free to choose, we are free people. The thing about the Xbox one succeeding is that, it sets a precedents for other corporations that they can do anything and the consumers will swallow it. Gaming as great, we all love gaming but we have to draw the line somewhere. With the information that Microsoft is the FIRST company to sign up for the NSA thing, I have no idea how anyone can trust Microsoft ever again. Aside from the DRM thing the Xbox one is a great piece of hardware, it is the precedent it sets that is truly terrifying.

And please don't come to me saying "oh don't be so melodramatic!" I remember a couple of years ago with the rise of smartphone, people were saying the government were tracking us and people say those guys are paranoid/crazy. Not so crazy now are they?

Choosing a Xbox One does not make you wrong but I truly believe that in the long run it sets a precedent that will slowly but surely destroy consumer's rights.

heh. Let's not be silly, shinji. As Jon Stewart(and later John Oliver) pointed out in The Daily Show segment, "Good News: You're Not Paranoid", he just knew that people would now be able to use the NSA surveillance and IRS targeting as excuses for legitimizing -any- conspiracy theories or biggest fears some might have, and while there is reason to be concerned about what the NSA is doing(which doesn't have to do with new cellphone technology; it has to do with government overreach in the War on Terror), that doesn't mean any possible fear you could ever have about something is rational or appropriate.

The issue with the Xbox One is whether it's a device with features you want, not whether it's a threat to our very way of life.

Of cause I am not suggesting it will somehow destroy my life but corporation and governing bodies have shown over the course of human history that when they have too much power/freedom they will abuse that power. I was really surprise to hear Nestle even suggested the idea of privatizing water? What happen when what they suggest become true? I am 100% sure it wont but what if? I thought about the level of hubris it must take for them to even suggest the idea. That is what I am talking about.

When I go to a restaurant and get the wrong order, most of the time I just tell them its ok just change my order to this. The result of that is now when I go to that restaurant the lazy waiter would bring me wrong order on purpose so they can get rid of order that have been sitting there. The owner eventually told me what happen and fire that waiter after he learn of it. I am saying it is a slippery slope sometimes and I think this is one of those times. Other than the DRM push tho, I love the look of Fantasia (we asian loves Disney, what can I say.)

To be honest, shinji, you kind of lost me, especially with that restaurant part. heh. I mean, I definitely understand concerns over the implications of new technology, and we'll always have those with devices trying new things. I just don't see how this is particularly special in its threat. If it turns out to infringe on something, we'll deal with that, but right now, none of what it's offering seems more restrictive than a personal computer. Or my cellphone. For a videogame console, it's certainly more of a push toward treating physical and digital the same, as PC games have done for over a decade, but as far as an actual consumer device, it isn't somehow worse than a ton of other devices in our lives.

I can perfectly respect that some might consider the Xbox One a console they don't want(I'm leaning toward the PS4 myself), but for people to suggest that it is particularly worse or more threatening than numerous other devices that are already widely accepted in society just gives me the impression that somehow the Xbox One just woke some gamers up to how a device could possibly be a concern for them. For a videogame console, I get why people don't like the feeling of suddenly being forced into something that they will eventually give up willingly over time, but that's something you can affect by just choosing to buy something else.

The possible success of the Xbox One isn't some new or truly imposing threat. It's just another in a long line of instances wherein consumers of modern electronics are giving up flexibility in the hopes of greater convenience. Apple has basically made a business of that kind of tradeoff. There isn't something special here as far as consumer devices go; there's only something special here as far as videogame consoles go. And while that can concern some people, we shouldn't mislead ourselves into thinking that there is more here than there is.

If you don't like the features this console is offering, then don't buy it, and if you like another console's features, perhaps purchase it instead and enjoy the games that will be coming out on it in the future.

That is true. I have never deny anyone their rights to choose. I guess to sum it up. Requiring the Kinect to be hook up all the time for the Xbox one to work is wrong and even tho you can "turn it off" it is still require to be plug in and powered. That is a very real and I believe, not at all far fetch worry for a lot of people, considering the NSA information that came to light. That amount of information/power should not and can not be manage by the best of governing body let alone a corporation, if this happens it will be abuse no doubt about that. That is the slippery slope I was talking about. It is the kinect today with the ever watching eyes, what will come out tomorrow? now that this is acceptable?

The used game stuff I believe will eventually soft itself out, as well as the 24 check in thing. Steam like sales will take care of those issue, Sony is already doing it and Microsoft is trying.

Of cause it matters very little to me since I will go pc this gen. FFxv is being considered to be release for pc so if that happen bye bye console. And for the record I do like the Xbox one it is the policies and the kinect that sickens me.

Really, what will tell the tale is how much information is going from the Kinect to their servers and whether that can be adjusted in the settings. I mean, most laptops come with webcams on them now, but it doesn't mean HP or Dell is watching me at the moment. The issue is simply when people aren't aware that they are being watched, and people will hopefully realize that if they turn on their Kinect, it will actually be on. If someone doesn't want that, then they don't need to buy it, but then, we don't know the true extent of what kind of privacy we might be giving up with it on.

Microsoft has stated that they have already taken many countries' laws in mind and have given options which will allow it to adhere to European privacy laws, and I'd say that's something to keep in mind. It sounds like the Kinect will be similar to a webcam in a laptop; something always connected but optionally turned off and on. They'll certainly be encouraging people to leave it on, but people will still have the choice as to whether they want to allow this device to be on or not. Just as they ultimately have the choice whether or not to bring it into their homes in the first place.

As Jeff said in one of their post-announcement videos, you can bet people will be testing on day one what is being sent back to Microsoft's servers. And we'll know more. The biggest thing is people being informed so that they can willingly choose to embrace this technology or not, and hopefully we'll continue to get a greater understanding of new technology so that we can make better personal decisions on what we do and do not want.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By Darji

I saw that tonight on Jimmy Fallon, and I think that's to be expected, considering how Sony has successfully played this. I'm inclined to share Jeff's thought on this. Which is that they must have done market research and come to the conclusion that their long term prospects were good regardless of initial, natural push back. I imagine they didn't expect this level of pushback, but then, a lot of that comes down to how poorly they've handled their messaging, allowing rumors to become stronger than reality and guesses to rule their responses.

It has been a PR disaster. Yet, I don't think any major console maker would ever make these decisions without thinking that it will pay off for them in the long run, and even if this does mean a rocky start, ala. the PS3 and Sony's insistence on people getting "a second job" to afford it and developers taking a few years to really learn it, they are certainly by no means dead before they've even begun. They must have known there would be push back on any big changes, and it's likely they just intend to ride it out until the games and features eventually sell it. We'll see if that actually happens, but you can bet they continue to have their long term success in mind.

The huge error they made in my opinion was not only the PR they really handled stupidly but also that they are trying to force this earlier than it normally would have happened. We know that we are switching to a digital age and in 10-15 years you will not have physical copies anymore but this progress should have been done naturally. MS is trying to force this on us and that is why a lot of people revolting.

If they can not get Europe back as soon as possible this generation is over for the, Just to dominate the US which currently even seems questionable is not enough. If Sony can get even a bit more of the US than in this gen the war is already over in terms of sales. Europe is Sony Country and Japan of course as well. This gen will not be as close as this gen in terms of sales,

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No two words basically infuriate me on a second's notice these days than "digital future" at this point. Do you guys know how many physical CDs were sold in 2011? 225 million. In 2012? Around 210 million. This is well over a decade after getting your music online was a well established, at times illegal, practice. The market for physical products will be here for a very very long time. There is no "all digital future" right around the corner that, two years from now, we will just stumble into. Physical media isn't going anywhere and there's nothing wrong with it not going anywhere. I'm sick and tired of listening to the technologists ramble about "the future."

Ugh. That rant out of the way.

Your choice is your choice, OP, and do whatever you want with your money, but as the saying goes, don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining. The Xbox One's DRM is not "like Steam" and they are inconveniences that are pointless and intrusive from a consumer perspective, and provide no worthwhile benefit. If you are the type of person that looks at all the egregious things Microsoft is doing with their platform, and think "lol, not my problem, bro" then you are making a personal decision that you can put up with all the bullshit; but that doesn't change or alter the existence of the bullshit.

Like other posters here, I've been fully expecting the counter-backlash. The biggest bullshit thing about this new contrarian backlash is somehow implying that the Ps4 is some sort of outdated, behind-the-times thing? How does this make any kind of sense? This is actually what pisses me off the most about all of this console war stuff; how does being a device that implements draconian restrictions on how you use it somehow instantly qualify as futuristic and ahead of the curve? Is this the sick corporatist style of stockholm syndrome that modern day consumers have been conditioned into? That a product is only really good if it's ridiculously overpriced? That something is "behind the times" if it's not needlessly anti-consumer?

You know, cause TV is the future?

I'm not refusing to buy an X1 because I've hated Microsoft, the original Xbox is a criminally underrated platform that I hold dear and the 360 has been, by far, the dominant platform of this generation for me. But logically, I have no reason to buy it. The Ps4 is cheaper. It is more powerful. It has less anti-consumer restrictions. There is no mandatory camera. Their online service is both cheaper, and a better value. Sony has also shown a willingness to listen and acknowledge me and talk to me as a human being, and not as a demographic. Objectively I can think of no reason someone would want the Xbox One over the Ps4, unless you were trapped in some corner of the world where you were surrounded only by Xbox One buyers.

If you want to buy the Xbox One for your own reasons, fine, it's your life, etc. But don't try to imply it's the better deal for everyone else, because it almost certainly is not.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By sdharrison

@marokai said:

No two words basically infuriate me on a second's notice these days than "digital future" at this point. Do you guys know how many physical CDs were sold in 2011? 225 million. In 2012? Around 210 million. This is well over a decade after getting your music online was a well established, at times illegal, practice. The market for physical products will be here for a very very long time. There is no "all digital future" right around the corner that, two years from now, we will just stumble into. Physical media isn't going anywhere and there's nothing wrong with it not going anywhere. I'm sick and tired of listening to the technologists ramble about "the future."

Your choice is your choice, OP, and do whatever you want with your money, but as the saying goes, don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining. The Xbox One's DRM is not "like Steam" and they are inconveniences that are pointless and intrusive from a consumer perspective, and provide no worthwhile benefit. If you are the type of person that looks at all the egregious things Microsoft is doing with their platform, and think "lol, not my problem, bro" then you are making a personal decision that you can put up with all the bullshit; but that doesn't change or alter the existence of the bullshit.

Like other posters here, I've been fully expecting the counter-backlash. The biggest bullshit thing about this new contrarian backlash is somehow implying that the Ps4 is some sort of outdated, behind-the-times thing? How does this make any kind of sense? This is actually what pisses me off the most about all of this console war stuff; how does being a device that implements draconian restrictions on how you use it somehow instantly qualify as futuristic and ahead of the curve? Is this the sick corporatist style of stockholm syndrome that modern day consumers have been conditioned into? That a product is only really good if it's ridiculously overpriced? That something is "behind the times" if it's not needlessly anti-consumer?

I'm not refusing to buy an X1 because I've hated Microsoft, the original Xbox is a criminally underrated platform that I hold dear and the 360 has been, by far, the dominant platform of this generation for me. But logically, I have no reason to buy it. The Ps4 is cheaper. It is more powerful. It has less anti-consumer restrictions. There is no mandatory camera. Their online service is both cheaper, and a better value. Sony has also shown a willingness to listen and acknowledge me and talk to me as a human being, and not as a demographic. Objectively I can think of no reason someone would want the Xbox One over the Ps4, unless you were trapped in some corner of the world where you were surrounded only by Xbox One buyers.

If you want to buy the Xbox One for your own reasons, fine, it's your life, etc. But don't try to imply it's the better deal for everyone else, because it almost certainly is not.

Killed it with that. Very well put.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I came here to read about the games, but with all due respect I stopped because I personally don't like your take on games. No disrespect though, duder.

I think games are more than just ideas and concepts.

*batshit insane stories a mixture of technology and mystical crap that could more or less just be made into a feature film. So yes Metal Gear Solid 5. Sold on it.

*The idea of a fully technological run future has amazed me.

*a fast paced open world shooter with a chaotic feel to it and not taking its self serious has my attention.

No hate or anything, but I personally have a problem with people who focus more on the pitch of the game rather than the actual real-time gameplay it offers. Games shouldn't "sound" amazing, they shouldn't win you over with their setting and concept, the pitch, but rather what they deliver on in actuality, what they let you do and how they let you p.l.a.y.

I think this current gen was severely damaged and harmed by all the consumers letting developers get away with broken games or rehashed gameplay just because the premise is "exciting" and "has our attention." Too much dreaminess, not enough gameplay focus.

But hey, I'm glad you're content with your reasoning and have made a decision :)

Edit: I just noticed that you listed 4 games, 3 of which will be multiplatform.. So you're buying an Xbone for Sunset Overdrive?

This is what I'm saying with Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, etc. They may very well end up being fabulous games, but we haven't even seen anything of substance from them. Project Overstrike had a slick cartoony trailer that people thought looked cool too. See how that turned out.

And yeah, this is going to be a zombie talking point. It's bizarre how much credit Microsoft is getting from even mainstream press for "showing" The Witcher and Metal Gear. They're multiplatform, and were actually announced first as PS4 games, yet somehow being the show that demos them on a PC makes you responsible for them?

Bismarck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#206  Edited By Bismarck

@the_laughing_man:

Gotta commend you for the Anamanaguchi song, they're a cool band. Awesome blog aswell. I personally think i will get a ps4, first because, it will launch in my country. Also the PS4's price is ok for me. Even if the prices are bit higher here compared to the USA.

I dont buy used games, and so far Im a PC only guy, mostly shopping from steam for games. I just chose the PS4 to be my first console of this kind. I will be probably sticking with 1 console, cuz i cant afford a second, and I dont have the space for a second one. But who knows in the not so distant future when the Xbone launches in Eastern Europe, might get one.

Oh and last but not least, another Anamanaguchi song

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I came here to read about the games, but with all due respect I stopped because I personally don't like your take on games. No disrespect though, duder.

I think games are more than just ideas and concepts.

*batshit insane stories a mixture of technology and mystical crap that could more or less just be made into a feature film. So yes Metal Gear Solid 5. Sold on it.

*The idea of a fully technological run future has amazed me.

*a fast paced open world shooter with a chaotic feel to it and not taking its self serious has my attention.

No hate or anything, but I personally have a problem with people who focus more on the pitch of the game rather than the actual real-time gameplay it offers. Games shouldn't "sound" amazing, they shouldn't win you over with their setting and concept, the pitch, but rather what they deliver on in actuality, what they let you do and how they let you p.l.a.y.

I think this current gen was severely damaged and harmed by all the consumers letting developers get away with broken games or rehashed gameplay just because the premise is "exciting" and "has our attention." Too much dreaminess, not enough gameplay focus.

But hey, I'm glad you're content with your reasoning and have made a decision :)

Edit: I just noticed that you listed 4 games, 3 of which will be multiplatform.. So you're buying an Xbone for Sunset Overdrive?

I said 5 games. Titan Fall as well. And Like I said I can not get a decent PC because of my current space conditions. As for the games I enjoy. I LOVED Vanquish because of the chaos and tech in it. And how am I focusing on the "Pitch? Watch_Dogs I love the setting an the gameplay of being able to hack anything and alter the world. All the metal gear comes to a degree had crazy stories and the what not. All the games I listed we have seen game play aside from sunset over drive which I CLEARLY stated I hope keeps true to its trailer.

I'm so tired of these "I'm going to be edgy and say XBONE is the system to get!"

Does every person who decided the exclusives and features of it are worth it needs to announce it to the world?

To clarify, I don't want to be a dick to the guy who made this blog. I understand that with all the Microsoft hype you might want to talk about your reasons you think it's a good system. But you shouldn't have to sell Microsoft's system for them.

I picked to make this blog for two reasons. One I was bored, and two because I seem to be in the minority and instead of insulting others and yelling at people I picked to clearly and calmly state why I liked the system.

@isomeri said:

I agree with all of your points and I was actually about to write a similar blog myself before seeing the comments section here. Microsoft PR has been absolutely appalling, and all the executives they are trotting around seem dickish and out of touch. I have however chosen to look past the PR on both sides and make my decisions based on the product itself.

That is partly why I wrote this blog. People seem hesitate to admit they want this system because of the rampant hate they might get. In truth the only assholes who have poped up are these "New" accounts with default pictures and maybe TWO trolls who are known asses.

@seppli said:

@the_laughing_man:

Yet you do not answer the most pertinent question. Why not a PS4? It's cheaper. It's more powerful. It has none of the stuff you need to justify yourself for with a blog post like this.

I picked it because some of the features interest me and MS has done nothing before now to scorn me. *It was stated later in the thread. Maybe I should add it to my open post.

@marokai said:

I never state its a better deal. I know its fucking people. On twitter I have harassed Major nelson non stop about policy changing *and the supposed Phil Spencer account* I state why its a good deal for me.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Darji

Space conditions? What does this even mean?

The newest Alienware X51 devices are smaller than consoles and way more powerful^^

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

These things maybe a bit more expensive but if you want a normal small PC tower which are also realive small you can get a much more powerful PC for 500$ than the consoles are.

No Caption Provided

jonnybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hey @the_laughing_man, amongst all the hate you are receiving I would just like to say I agree with you. I'm in the same boat, I always have internet, and I don't give a shit about daily check ins or used games. The last time I bought a used game was when I bought Star Wars Battlefront II to play on my xbox 360 lol.

I don't care about being spied on because I have nothing to hide, and all of these people assume they aren't already being spied on 24/7, because PRISM and the cameras in the UK don't exist (and those are just what you know about, get your tinfoil hats out ooooOOOOoooo). And really, all I do in front of my TV is watch TV, play games and sleep occasionally, things I'm sure Microsoft already knew based on services that run through their box.

I have a good job and 3 kids, when you drop $100 on soccer equipment for your 7 year old or $50 on a months worth of diapers for your 7 month old, $100 extra for a system you like is pretty inconsequential.

These people expecting you to defend a company or product are asking a bit much (and completely contrary to the people claiming shills) You defend your decision, which I think you stated eloquently in your blog post.

I preordered an Xbone, I've never liked Sony's controllers (mostly because they don't change what I hate, the gaming claw I have to create because I don't have tiny hands and the shoulder buttons have always been shit), I don't like their exclusive franchises, and I have never had any luck with any Sony product working for longer than 6 months before it dies and they find some way to deny my warranty claim.

In closing, carry on my friend, I'll see you on Xbox Live....

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonnybob said:

Hey @the_laughing_man, amongst all the hate you are receiving I would just like to say I agree with you. I'm in the same boat, I always have internet, and I don't give a shit about daily check ins or used games. The last time I bought a used game was when I bought Star Wars Battlefront II to play on my xbox 360 lol.

I don't care about being spied on because I have nothing to hide, and all of these people assume they aren't already being spied on 24/7, because PRISM and the cameras in the UK don't exist (and those are just what you know about, get your tinfoil hats out ooooOOOOoooo). And really, all I do in front of my TV is watch TV, play games and sleep occasionally, things I'm sure Microsoft already knew based on services that run through their box.

I have a good job and 3 kids, when you drop $100 on soccer equipment for your 7 year old or $50 on a months worth of diapers for your 7 month old, $100 extra for a system you like is pretty inconsequential.

These people expecting you to defend a company or product are asking a bit much (and completely contrary to the people claiming shills) You defend your decision, which I think you stated eloquently in your blog post.

I preordered an Xbone, I've never liked Sony's controllers (mostly because they don't change what I hate, the gaming claw I have to create because I don't have tiny hands and the shoulder buttons have always been shit), I don't like their exclusive franchises, and I have never had any luck with any Sony product working for longer than 6 months before it dies and they find some way to deny my warranty claim.

In closing, carry on my friend, I'll see you on Xbox Live....

Zero Jehuty is my gamer tag. Send me a friend request.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is the internet, you're not allowed to like things.

I'm way more excited for the Xone than I am for the PS4 and I don't really know why either. I guess I'm a great big fat stupid person but whatever, I like videogames.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#212  Edited By Humanity
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Karkarov

@the_laughing_man said:

MS is trying to be the next Steam. I have no issue with that. More power to them if they slip in game sales. I feel the only reason people are getting mad is because its something new.

No, just no.

Number 1. There are A LOT of people and places even in the United States that have no internet, or have very low quality internet. They are literally blacklisting millions of potential buyers with their always on connection/daily check in for no other reason than that it is there and because of their lack of or limited internet they can't have the console. Whoever came up with that idea is a moron who needs to lose their job. That person has cost his company money, a large amount of money.

Number 2. I hear Major Nelson talking about the Xbone in these shows and for example the interview with Angry Joe above and it sounds like he is describing the way a set top TV box works. I should know, I work for a major television provider and he sounds like one of our new tech reps who have no clue what they are talking about do when it is their first day on the job. I don't want a damn set top box, I want a GAME console.

Number 3. Why does this thing cost 100 dollars more than PS4? Oh right.... the Kinect. AKA: A craptastic motion control add on that I will never, ever, use. I could stomach the forced price hike, except the system also requires me to have this piece of shit I will never use connected to my system at all times. This is nothing but a plastic paper weight that is taking up space and using that much more electricity I could have saved a few pennies on. Forget about the fact that it is also potentially recording every word and move I make, that is just icing on the cake. This is like selling a single player game, but only in a version that comes packaged with a controller despite the fact that you already have a controller from when you bought the console, and the game costs twice as much because the controller is in the box.

Number 4. No backwards compatibility, at all. Maybe I am the only one, but I actually own Xbox Live arcade games. I own 360 games too. So you know what? Asking me to keep my 360 connected to play this stuff under the guise of new tech is not only the stupidest excuse I have ever heard but it is down right insulting because it means Microsoft also thinks I am monumentally retarded. If my PC I built on cutting edge components 1.5 years ago can still play games from 1980 and it works perfectly then I assure you the "new tech" is not the reason the Xbone won't play 360 and windows arcade games.

This is not something new, this is something very very old. It is called bad business practices. bad decision making, and forced compliance. Why is Kinect in the box? Because Microsoft wants to axe the "but not many console owners have kinect" excuse from dev's list of reasons for not making a kinect game. Because Microsoft is looking at a Samsung S4 and is thinking about how cool it would be if their set top box you use for netflix and facebo... oh I am sorry their game console, would be if you used hand swipes and other things to control the UI. This is Xbox trying to force it's way into my living room by providing a "huge install base" and using it as an excuse to make tv and internet providers work through their box instead of consumers using the one they already have that probably does all this better anyway... it just doesn't play xbox games. But then Xbone don't play 360 games either? Real reason? Because microsoft wants you to rebuy them as downloadable titles instead and the 360 discs/xbox live arcade games don't follow their DRM policy.

You want to buy an Xbone for Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive, and Halo Cash in 7, you go right ahead. But don't insinuate the only reason for not liking this pathetic joke of a game console is because it is "something new".

veiasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#215  Edited By veiasma

I've gone back and forth in my mind, but I'm getting an Xbone too. I want the media features, the kinect integration, and the exclusive games like crimson dragon, dead rising 3, d4, below, and titanfall (I'd rather play on MS servers than EA ones on PC. Simcity anyone?). I'm really excited to see what developers do with the kinect, since its basically a console exclusive feature that could really innovate if used creatively.

My friend still got shitty with me about it though... This console war is tearing us all apart! I don't see the need to get so aggressive over a luxury device.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I've been saying since the beginning that XB1 made mis-steps. However, I was still going to buy one... Just not for 500 bucks. Since I'd be using about a third of the xbone's potential (i.e. playing the goddamn games), so it's hard to justify spending that kind of money. I'm waiting for a price drop or a used one to spring up.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veiasma said:

I've gone back and forth in my mind, but I'm getting an Xbone too. I want the media features, the kinect integration, and the exclusive games like crimson dragon, dead rising 3, d4, below, and titanfall (I'd rather play on MS servers than EA ones on PC. Simcity anyone?). I'm really excited to see what developers do with the kinect, since its basically a console exclusive feature that could really innovate if used creatively.

My friend still got shitty with me about it though... This console war is tearing us all apart! I don't see the need to get so aggressive over a luxury device.

Its nice to see other people now coming forward to say they are also getting the X1.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
    CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting a PS4 launch, may get a Xbone when it drops down to $300 or less, once they drop the camera from the bundle because noone uses it.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@commandergermanshepard: Kinect isn't going anywhere...that's kind of the point. It's integrated into the functionality of the OS (and I assume, the DRM/sharing policies via biometric data) and the whole point of them being shipped with every unit is so devs can take full advantage knowing that they aren't alienating part of their potential market.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
    CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oginor said:

@commandergermanshepard: Kinect isn't going anywhere...that's kind of the point. It's integrated into the functionality of the OS (and I assume, the DRM/sharing policies via biometric data) and the whole point of them being shipped with every unit is so devs can take full advantage knowing that they aren't alienating part of their potential market.

Well the Xbone isn't for me then.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@spartyon: If Microsoft did go to an all digital future they wouldn't have to worry about stores like Walmart and Best Buy pricing and thus could adjust their digital prices however they see fit.

That could also cause Walmart and Best Buy to not push Xbox Ones as much as PS4s.

@supamon said:

The game sharing could be a pretty neat system since I play with friends across countries in Asia pretty regularly and mailing games to each other just to lend them a game is quite the hassle.

You might have a problem with this for a while.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@rvone said:

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man: Zone of the Enders 3 better be in the making

We can dream...

ZOE2 looked awesome on PS2. Imagine how amazing it would be on next gen consoles.

Just thinking about it gives me #girlwood

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio: That's a very accurate point with the retailers. You need Apple/iPod level consumer-groundswell to be able to bully around the retailers a bit. I think that may be what MS is shooting for with the Xbox One, but they need to be doing a better job generating said consumer groundswell.

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
    deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Microsoft runs all kind of digital storefronts today, but many people compare the Xbox One's digital future to Steam. Many people are fucking stupid.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oginor said:

@sergio: That's a very accurate point with the retailers. You need Apple/iPod level consumer-groundswell to be able to bully around the retailers a bit. I think that may be what MS is shooting for with the Xbox One, but they need to be doing a better job generating said consumer groundswell.

That won't happen. Because not only are their policies anti retailer, they are anti consumer too.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@marokai said:

You said it much better than I could have.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only game I was interested in, during the Xbone conference, was Sunset Overdrive. It just turns out, that it was actually my favorite game shown throughout E3. Now, I don't want to get an Xbone. But... that one game... is tempting the living shit out of me. Everything about the trailer, I absolutely loved. I really really really hope it's coming to PC... so I don't have an excuse to get the Xbone.

Jabbawocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#229  Edited By Jabbawocky

I seriously can't see how anyone can think that the X1 is going to be worth it for the games. I mean if you look back at the 360 every exclusive that made the 360 worth playing ended up on PS3 and PC while the few they did manage to hold onto have just stagnated. I'm not going to say you shouldn't buy the console because that's your own decision but I find your choice of games for getting X1 a little off.

MGS5 - Multi-plat release.

Sunset Overdrive - Exclusive for the time being but I doubt it will stay that way because I seem to recall Insominac wanting to release multi-plats more often.

AC4 - Multi-plat and on the current generation of consoles (so pretty much shiny edition).

Titanfall - According to it wiki here, is a timed exclusive.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:
    @supamon said:

The game sharing could be a pretty neat system since I play with friends across countries in Asia pretty regularly and mailing games to each other just to lend them a game is quite the hassle.

You might have a problem with this for a while.

I'm well aware of it since I live in Asia. Like I said earlier, I've never been an early adopter so while it did irk me a little I can wait.

Its nice to see other people now coming forward to say they are also getting the X1.

Yeah it's great but some people don't know the meaning of beating a dead horse. Rarara anti-consumer, rarara $100 cheap, rarara kinect spying on us. We get it, we weighed the pros and cons before making a decision. Give it a rest already...

@humanity said:

@rvone said:

@humanity said:

We can dream...

ZOE2 looked awesome on PS2. Imagine how amazing it would be on next gen consoles.

ZOE3 on FoxEngine. Oh... My.....#robotgirlwood

jonnybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By jonnybob

Any company that is anti-consumer wouldn't be a company for very long....

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By DonPixel

Whatever rings your bell man, at the end this is videogames and people is gonna buy what people wanna buy.

I personally don't like Microsoft as a whole, they very abusive and if it was in their power we would still be paying for basic Ethernet (remember early outlook days.. ). Every single product they have that worth's a damn is tanks to Windows monopoly (Hotmail, MSN/Skypee, Office, etc.. ) The innovation actually comes from somewhere else.

However, I won't be getting any of the "next-gen" consoles, they pretty much glorified mini-atx with mediocre APUs. Personally I think people buying them should go PS4, mainly because it offers the same as the Xbone without any of the draconian MS restrictions... There is absolutely no point to always online, other than fucking up costumers, BIG NEWS GUYS the power of the CLOUD is actually servers.. guess what SONY has them also.. Actually third party has them too!! Pro tip Usual Microsoft trick: appeal to consumer ignorance with trendy marketing buzzwords to sell basic services. Big news: Microsoft is selling you the internet (expensier, suckier, and limited than usual).

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am also betting on MS backing off on some of their polices and what not. Course that is a gamble but what is life but a gamble?

I also forgot to put up I am excited for The Division.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@humanity said:

@rvone said:

@humanity said:

We can dream...

#datcockpit

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooooo ya. Maybe my faith and choise was not a bad one? Still waiting on confirmation.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#236  Edited By isomeri

Sooooo ya. Maybe my faith and choise was not a bad one? Still waiting on confirmation.

The breaking news does make things rather more interesting. Also, I have to re-write most of that blog I was working on.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: Confirmed.

Now the console finally looks somewhat appealing to me after a couple rounds of price drops. I hope they continue with some of the Steam-esque goals.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Darji

Holy Shit. 2 days ago they said they will not change anything and now this. Damn. MS lost a ton of trust I don't think they can repair all the damage they have done.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forums soooo slooooooow.

This is great news, the DRM stuff wasn't a big issue for me but still this is exactly what they needed to do to get some good will back. I still think the no self publishing kinda sucks but after this change I definitely think I'll be picking one up.

Also anyone who before was saying "MS is anti consumer with this crap" and are now saying "these changes are crap nice try MS" you are idiots. With a capital I. So Idiots.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forums soooo slooooooow.

This is great news, the DRM stuff wasn't a big issue for me but still this is exactly what they needed to do to get some good will back. I still think the no self publishing kinda sucks but after this change I definitely think I'll be picking one up.

Also anyone who before was saying "MS is anti consumer with this crap" and are now saying "these changes are crap nice try MS" you are idiots. With a capital I. So Idiots.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess I do not look so stupid now huh. Thank you all for reading my blog.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By biospank

I dunno as an outsider I just want the games and the "xbox1 thing" is just confusing and feels somewhat too soon. Because I don't have a good internet connection in my dungeon.

So I live out in the woods where the internet could go offline while all that stuff is cool but the 24hour thing could be a problem when the internet goes offline because a tree went over the liners, that happen 3 times or more last year. it was more or less days without internet.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Darji

So I guess I do not look so stupid now huh. Thank you all for reading my blog.

As long you do not think that they did it because they are customer friendly you are definitely not stupid. IF you think they did it because people wanted it you are. They did it because if would have ruined them other wise.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even f*cking know anymore. Videogames, man.

http://gifatron.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/george-costanza-gives-up.gif

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

They removed the negatives, except Kinect, along with the lone positive that people were hyping up.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I get home from work and have a actual keyboard I have a few more things I want to put out here.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By supamon

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.