Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 05, 2016

The aliens have won and the remnants of XCOM must strike to take back the Earth in this sequel to Firaxis' 2012 reboot.

Mods(Specifially voice packs) causing increased Memory Usage? Possilbe Leak?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OurSin_360

Well I figure I would make a new thread as this seems to be a new issue after the latest Patch. Well good thing I always monitor my temps and cpu/ram usage as I noticed that when I had a bunch of voice packs installed my memory usage when starting the game spiked up to 90% (5-6gb from Xcom2). Now when I uninstalled the newer ones it went down to 3.5gb usage(still way higher than before), I have to keep a few on there as they are part of my latest save.

I also noticed when I use a soldier with a voice pack (Alex with the voice of the Narrator from Darkest dungeon) the lag and stuttering in the sky ranger increases. I only started downloading voice packs after the crashing issue was fixed, but seems like I can't use to many more as it'll crash the game out right.

Anybody else notice this? Have a fix(besides uninstalling mods lol). Maybe an issue with how the mods are made that I could edit myself?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Yes. I took a look at the voice pack mod and on both the Workshop as Nexus there are numerous people echoing the exact problem you're describing. It made me hold off on installing it for the time being.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Wow, I really haven't found anybody talking about it all the mod reviews were great and now I kinda have a bunch installed and tied to my save game. I should be good for now, but I have a whole bunch I want to install lol. Voices and faces are the 2 things I wanted the most as far as mods go.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@oursin_360: Tied to your savegame? If it's voices, can't you change the voices on every one of your soldiers, then remove the mod? I really miss more languages in the game (it has less than EW did), but I'd rather get official voice packs. They'll probably include them in the DLC.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OurSin_360

@zevvion said:

@oursin_360: Tied to your savegame? If it's voices, can't you change the voices on every one of your soldiers, then remove the mod? I really miss more languages in the game (it has less than EW did), but I'd rather get official voice packs. They'll probably include them in the DLC.

I can try, but i'm pretty sure all workshop mods are tied to the save game and your saves wont' work when uninstalled.

However I just tried a verify check and it uninstalled all my mods and when I re-clicked them all so far the ram usage is back down. I can't test it fully yet but when I get time i'll check and see if everything is fixed or if it was just a fluke.

*edit* nope fluke, got up to 97% percent with all mods turned on

Double edit* lol Save game won't load without voice packs installed

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mikemcn

I've only used cosmetic item mods and the one that shuts up bradford, for this reason really worried about ruining my first xcom playthrough, although i did backup before using mods.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mikemcn said:

I've only used cosmetic item mods and the one that shuts up bradford, for this reason really worried about ruining my first xcom playthrough, although i did backup before using mods.

I've been using several mods and have no issue. No voice packs though. In the last mission as we speak.

So of course your millage may vary but just saying this seems like a specific issue with voice packs right now.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OurSin_360

Yeah i believe this is tied to voice packs, something to do with the patch. I only started using them since ths patch supposedly fixed them but i guess the fix caused this issue, or this issue was always there just overshadowed.

I somehow got a save to work without a couple packsx memory usage down a little more now.

Edit nope didnt work

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, also heads up, there's a technical issue affecting mods at the moment. They take up way more memory than they should, so loading a bunch of mods at once could adversely affect performance. As far as I understand it the modders can update their mods to fix the issue, but it is something to be aware of. Here's a reddit thread talking about the problem.

Here is a "fix" for anybody still looking into this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.