Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Ok, I get it

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mars

This game is not a game I expected to buy. It is not a style of game I expected to enjoy. And after watching the QL/EX, I was thoroughly unimpressed. However, after growing increasing frustrated with my unenjoyment of the 3DS and Nintendo in general, I decided to ditch my DS while the "double" trade in value was available. I consider myself to be an avid gamer and supporter of "risky", quality games. With that in mind, I decided to pick up XCOM. Man, this game is fun! I'm only a few missions in and fully expect the challenge to increase as the game goes on (which is good), but I am digging this game way more than I ever expected. I get a sense of tension when I hear the alien activity warning that I rarely feel in games, an emotional investment into my squad (all named after friends and family), and truly enjoy the "accomplishment" of each victory. I truly hope this game exceeds all sales expectations so we can continue to enjoy experiences like this in the future.

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ElCapitan

I'm glad you love it, even if it came at the expense of your 3DS. Hope you continue to enjoy XCOM!

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By bkbroiler

Glad you like it! I'll take any spare 3DS's you have, though. I really wanna play Pushmo.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Zuldim

Good to hear they got one more sale. I'm desperately praying that this game gets the sales numbers it deserves, to show that quality strategy games (that aren't Starcraft or Civ) still have a place in today's market. Also to get more amazing XCOM games like this one.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

@Zuldim said:

Good to hear they got one more sale. I'm desperately praying that this game gets the sales numbers it deserves, to show that quality strategy games (that aren't Starcraft or Civ) still have a place in today's market. Also to get more amazing XCOM games like this one.

Well, to be fair, XCOM is still a pretty well-established franchise. Regardless, I really enjoyed the game, possibly my favourite game this year so far.

Also, Mars, pity you already sold your 3DS =( you missed out on Shadow Wars - which is actually a pretty good tactical game and was designed by the creator of the original X-Com.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Mars

I anguished over the decision to sell my 3DS for quite a while. When it came down to it, I just didn't get much enjoyment out of it. Most of the games didn't do anything my Vita couldn't do and I don't need a bulky adapter to get a second analog stick for it. While I'm sure there will be some interesting experiences that I will miss out on, I've already gotten more pleasure from XCOM than I ever did from my DS. Side note: that first alien base was a BITCH!

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Zuldim

@BeachThunder said:

@Zuldim said:

Well, to be fair, XCOM is still a pretty well-established franchise. Regardless, I really enjoyed the game, possibly my favourite game this year so far.

Also, Mars, pity you already sold your 3DS =( you missed out on Shadow Wars - which is actually a pretty good tactical game and was designed by the creator of the original X-Com.

An established franchise with a dedicated fanbase, yes, but one which hadn't released a game in over a decade, and which hadn't released a game which, as I understand it (and full disclosure, this is my first experience with XCOM/X-Com), was generally well liked by said fanbase in nearly 15 years. The way I see it, the fact that this game was not only released, but released to great fanfare, and in the place of the FPS is nothing short of a miracle.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MariachiMacabre

This is my first big TBS game and I'm loving the hell out of it, and I'm hopeful it's selling we'll because my local GameStop apparently sold all but 3 copies by the time I bought it last Wednesday.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.