Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

4X

Concept »

Strategy games which encourage users to eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate.

Favorite 4X Game?

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cook66

What are your favorite 4X games?

As a huge fan of them I'd love to hear some opinions, maybe some of you even missed some.

I'll start you off: Galactic Civilization II and Civilization.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CenturionCajun

*Mumbles some words of thread necromancy*

I just got back into PC 4X games in a major way. Back in the day I played Star Trek Birth of the Federation until my computer exploded. Recently I've picked up Sword of the Stars. Despite it's somewhat amateur presentation I've been enjoying it. I'm sad that Star Wars Rebellion, Birth of the Federation, Sins of a Solar Empire, and Master of Orion arn't on Steam. If they were I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By selbie

Wow this forum needs more lovin'.

I'm curious about Sword of the Stars II. I rarely get to play many 4X games and this one looks good.

If anyone wants a good 4X MMO, then check out Shores of Hazeron.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

Old thread is waaaay old. But my favorite 4X game will always be Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. The theme of that game feels really fascinating, believable and conceptually brilliant. I'm surprised that there hasn't been any 4X title that has reached the same level of brilliance of SMAC. It's not a great looking game but god damn it all that matters is that I can build cities on water. Hardly a word of a sequel from EA who hold the licence though I heard recently that they might they something with it. Probably another FPS set in Alpha Centauri...

Also, fuck you Miriam Godwinson. SCIENCE!

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By CenturionCajun

Unfortunately from all reports Sword of the Stars II has launched as a broken, buggy mess. They are actively fixing but it's in no state to be played at the moment. That's fine because the first game is so incredibly complicated it'll take me till it gets fixed to get the hang of things. I'd have it no other way.

As for Alpha Centauri I used to find that game almost overwhelming. Being left to build my own units it almost overwhelming. Civilization has managd to keep up with the times extremely so I would gladly welcome a new Alpha Centauri. I's also like a new 4X X-Com but that seems unlikely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.