Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

4X

Concept »

Strategy games which encourage users to eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate.

Where's the 4X love?

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CenturionCajun

When I was but a whee boy a decade or so ago I had no consoles to speak of. My first major console I ever owned was an Xbox. However, I loved PC games. Especially games of the 4x genre. I would while away days of my life play Star Trek: Birth of the Federation, Star Wars: Rebellion, and Master of Orion III. Looking back these weren't the most stellar examples of their genre but I loved them. Recently I've rediscovered my love of that style of game but I've noticed a disturbing situation. The few games in the 4x style that are made today are generally of a high quality (Sins of a Solar Empire, Sword of the Stars, and Civilization) but they're made by smaller developers and get almost no major recognition.

While I know that consoles are the dominant money makers, and people love to shoot things from the first person, it breaks my heart to see an entire genre of games fade into obscurity. I would personally give my eye teeth for a big budget, well made, Master of Orion game. So, while I sit here and wait for Kerberus to patch Sword of the Stars II into a playable state am I the only one?

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By fripplebubby

I'm 100% with you. Sins of a Solar Empire is great, but if someone pumped AAA money into a game like that today... Civ V has some pretty great production values, but it's not in space.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By CenturionCajun

@Fripplebubby: Indeed. While I love stabbing other civilizations with sharp objects it's infinitely better when I can bombard some dirty aliens from orbit with explosives. My incredibly fan boy dream would be a 4x game set in the Mass Effect universe but I somehow doubt that will be happening.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scrawnto

@CenturionCajun: Oh man, a Mass Effect 4X would be rad! They've already got all the archetypes they need: a mercantile race, they have a race of machines, they have a hive minded race, scientific societies, militaristic societies, fast breeders, diplomats. They would obviously have to screw around with the timeline to make it work, but Civilization already does that with the real world, so I think it would be doable.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

Cause they're too haaard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.