4x4 Evo 2 is a 3D offroad racing game set in a wide variety of locales.
4x4 Evo 2 ships with over 120 licensed trucks, though there are fewer base models of trucks; for example, there are 2WD and 4WD versions of most trucks, as well as different trim levels such as XE and SE attached to some models. The vehicles in 4x4 Evo 2 are from 9 major manufacturers, Dodge, Jeep, Nissan, Infiniti, Lexus, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Chevrolet, and GMC.
Trim levels in parentheses
- Durango (SLT and SLT-Plus, 2WD and 4WD)
- Dakota (Club and Quad cab, 2WD and 4WD, Young Racing Race)
- Ram (2WD, 4WD, and Young Racing Race)
- Blazer (K5, LS, LT, and Team Death Rally)
- TrailBlazer (2WD, 4WD, and Team Death Race)
- Silverado (Ext. Cab and Reg Cab, 2WD and 4WD)
- Suburban (C1500, C2500, K1500, K2500)
- Tahoe (2WD and 4WD)
- Grand Cherokee Limited (2WD, 4WD, and DeGenaro Race)
- Liberty Sport (2WD, 4WD, DeGenaro Rally)
- Wrangler Sport (4WD and ARB Rally)
- Frontier (2WD, 4WD, Desert Runner, and Stillen Race)
- Xterra (SE and XE, 2WD and 4WD, Stillen Race))
- QX4 (2WD, 4WD, and AFH Rally Edition)
- RX300 (2WD and AWD)
- LX 470 (AWD and Slim Rally)
- Tacoma Xtracab (2WD and 4WD, Ltd and V6, and PreRunner)
- Tundra (2WD and 4WD, Ltd and SR5, Sakurai Race)
- Land Cruiser (4WD)
- RAV4 (2WD and 4WD)
- 4Runner (Ltd and SR5, 2WD and 4WD, Sakurai Rally)
- Montero (AWD and Vento Rally)
- Sierra (2WD, 4WD, Drehkraft race truck, ARB Sierra Monster Truck)
- Yukon (2WD and 4WD, XL and SLE)
- Jimmy (SLT, 2WD and 4WD)
In 4x4 Evo 2 there are a wide variety of customization options, from companies such as Stillen, Warn, and ARB. Upgrades such as winches, snorkels, tires, and lift kits were actually fully functional; i.e. you could use the winch to pull you out of a tough spot, provided your truck wasn't too heavy, snorkels would really prevent your truck from hydro-locking, and tires and lift kits would actually raise your trucks center of gravity.
The game ships with 32 tracks, in a variety of locales and race styles. There is a south american rally style track, a junkyard circuit, a beach loop, and the list goes on. The tracks operate on a standard gate based system, though some do have minor branching paths between gates.
Costa Rica Rally
Farm Road 109
Laguna Del Sol
Tri Baja 250
Truck Stop 101
The career mode in 4x4 Evo 2 is pretty standard, you start out with $30,000 to buy a truck with, and earn money through completing races or challenges. You will then use these funds to purchase better vehicles or upgrade your existing vehicle.
Race mode is relatively standard, though eventually you can attract a "sponsor" and gain access to special trucks and upgrades which differ based on which sponsor is chosen/attracted.
Challenge mode has you and your truck dropped into a large open map to undertake a series of more-or-less insane tasks. These tasks vary from searching for priceless archaeological discoveries, such as the "ByTheLakeosaurus" (guess where that one is) for a professor at the Tijuana museum of natural history, to searching for a plane wreck on a series of deserted islands, to bringing aid to remote villages along the Alaskan oil pipeline.
User Created Content
Due to the ease with which entirely new tracks and trucks could be added into the game, many user created vehicles and stages can be found, some of which far exceed the detail of the "stock" trucks and stages.