Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ace Combat

Franchise »

A series of air combat, mostly jet fighter, based games that have consistently walked the line between arcade style action and simulation style physics.

The new Ace Combat is called Infinity and is PS3 only.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

PLANES!

I don't know about you, but I like planes. I like planes that shoot missiles at other planes even more, so I'm pretty fucking hyped for this.

The teaser doesn't show much, being a teaser and all, but it looks like they might be trying to go back to the tone of the older games while keeping the real world setting, which could be interesting. For all we know, It could also end up being a free-to-play multiplayer thing with little to no story. We'll just have to wait and see. The PS3 exclusivity seems weird, too. I don't know.

Also, as was mentioned by someone in the youtube comments, that little girl is totally singing the music from Mappy. Take that as you will.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Yay for more Ace Combat, but I sorta hoped that they would have gone back to their fictional settings which allowed them to go more crazy with the story and levels. Remember Megalith?

Loading Video...

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Wait, is it definetly set in real world? Also really exited for a new ace combat.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is what I put in the other thread, but that's probably going to be locked so I'll put it here:

I really hope this returns the franchise back to the heights of Fires of Liberation, I could really go for a super goofy and Japanese story and giant, invisible planes around now. I'm guessing this is going to released around next spring, and I am cautiously optimistic about the game. I just really hope they throw out most of what they added in Assault Horizon, man that game was such a disappointment.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@zagzagovich: That's Earth seen in the teaser so I would assume as much.

I've wanted to get into one of these for a while but I'm not interested in chasing down one of the old ones, I thought I had my chance with Assault Horizon but that was mostly poorly recieved it seems. Setting my hopes for this one.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes sense for exclusivity since the 360 is more than dead in Japan and most of Europe.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: There are 3 things in this teaser that hint at a comeback to craziness, despite the real world setting :

The first one might be one of these huge sky-fortresses, the second kinda looks like Sonehenge from Ace Combat Zero, and the third one doesn't tell us anything except that IT'S THE FUTURE, YO!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By jacksukeru

There are a couple of wireless headphones quickly flashing by that has what looks like a sprite outline that could be from that Mappy game, maybe? If that's the case it could only mean one thing..

Mappy is the 5th Ultra Street Fighter 4 character.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

.......... I have a terrible feeling this will be another FPS-COD style ace combat.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By soldierg654342

@isomeri said:

Yay for more Ace Combat, but I sorta hoped that they would have gone back to their fictional settings which allowed them to go more crazy with the story and levels. Remember Megalith?

Loading Video...

Yeah, I don't go to Ace Combat for gritty realism, if go to fight satellites with laser-jets while some fake Carmina Burana plays in the background.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a couple of wireless headphones quickly flashing by that has what looks like a sprite outline that could be from that Mappy game, maybe?

Wow, you're totally right. That's pretty weird.

No Caption Provided

WeskerResi001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More Ace Combat is awesome - as long as its going back to its crazy ways. Megalith, Arkbird, Chandelier to name a few. Fictional AC is better.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The only Ace Combats I liked were Ace Combat 2 and Ace Combat 4. All the other ones just pissed me off...goofy stories and non-evolving gameplay. Not that I think just doing something new like Assault Horizon tried is a good idea. I think the last games was just a total shit show. It just my opinion, but it shared enough by others to not think I'm out of step.

The big problem is Namco's is they are IN LOVE with melodrama. Making the story a mixture of 'latin american soap opera' mixed with 'kabuki' acting style over-acting just turns me off. I don't want a boring game, but I just wish they would reign-in the impossible/improbable stories and the over the top characters who react to any situation with operatic rage or crying.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By connerthekewlkid

I couldve sworn in the original filing they at-least had it for PC also. Also people are saying something about Assault Horizon saying PS3 in the trailer then coming out for the other consoles. but yet im still probably gonna get it on the PS3 anyway,

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I kind of miss old school, old world Ace Combat. They were so charmingly campy and had the most insane things happen detached from the actual world we live in and I was so behind it.

But really they need to bring over Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere (not whatever broken Ace Combat 3 that they ended up bringing to the US) because I've hardcore been meaning to play it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.