Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

360 or PS3 PC ports you haven't finished because they lack...

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iDarktread

console achievements, or trophies. I'm referring to games that were originally developed for either the 360 or PS3, and then ported over the PC one way or another. Steam achievements do exist, but I don't feel that they're as easily recognizable as console achievements or trophies. Also, even though some non-Steam games sometimes have in-game achievements, there's no pull to collect or go after them, at least in my mind. 

Disclaimer: 

To be absolutely clear: Non-current gen or handheld games without achievements or trophies do not bother me in the slightest. (I know that the PSVita will supposedly have trophies, which I think is a very neat addition, though not necessarily mandatory for enjoyment.)  

Main topic: 

Aaaanyway, the biggest PC game that really seems incomplete without console achievements or trophies, to me, is Mass Effect 2. Maybe I'm missing the point of the game entirely, or something, but for whatever reason, I cannot get myself to finish it. I also bought Alpha Protocol and Singularity on the summer Steam sale, and I have barely touched them as of yet. If they had achievements, I probably would have already finished at least one by now, since they both interest me. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that they'll be sitting in my library for quite some time, and may never get played until I can pick up used console copies for five dollars. Another game I can think of is PREY. I bought it retail a while ago, and it just feels like I'd be more inclined to play it if I was getting achievements at the same time.

Extra unneeded information: 

Apparently, all of the Mass Effect 2 DLC on the XBLA is going to be going on sale starting this week, or maybe next. The sale should mark down all downloadable content for Mass Effect 2 by 50%, which is a rather good discount. I already own the Mass Effect 2 CD and the Cerberus Network on my PC, but for some reason, I can't get myself to play through the game. I've probably started three different characters, with the farthest character getting about 10 hours in. It's not that I don't like the game, or that I'm achievement hungry... it's just that sometimes, certain games feel empty to me without console achievements or trophies. Since Mass Effect 2 on 360 can be found new for as little as $9.99, I'm thinking of buying all of the "good" downloadable content when it goes on sale, and then ordering a 360 copy of the game when I can. 

Questions: 

Does anyone else share my point of view? What 360 or PS3 PC ports haven't you finished because they lack console achievements, or trophies?

(Edit: Should I have blogged this, instead? This seems kinda bloggy.)

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By monetarydread

The lack of a centralised achievement system in PC gaming is a shame, but it has never been affected me to the point of being a bother.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By iDarktread

I saw Singularity on 360 used for $5 at a local game store just now. I resisted the urge to purchase it for achievements, because I already have it, unplayed, in my Steam library.

Me: 1, Achievements: 0.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.