Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

What happened to the achievement community?

Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Czarpyotr

I've recently noticed a trend on the site with regards to the achievements sections for games. I used to come to GB to read up on achievements and discuss the tough ones with the community. Lately however, I am finding big empty pages of achievements with no comments. Now I am constantly going to xbox360achievments.com to get details on some of the tough or confusing stuff, and I'm sort of bummed that the GB posts have decreased in volume. Anyone have any insight into this? Is there something I'm missing? Also, just finished Mark of The Assassin and want to say that Dragon Age 2 has the best writing and voice acting of almost any game I have played. Seems like no one is talking about the DLC and the guys talked mess about it on the Bombcast, but I think the combat get's really run as you acquire more skills and the story really takes you through a lot of cool peaks and valleys. Not a complaint or a troll, just curious about my perceived lack of interest on these two things on the site. GLHB

Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Czarpyotr

Did this on iPad and it removed my paragraphs. Sorry for the block of text...

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Crash_Happy

I've never been into them myself so hadn't noticed, seems a real shame to lose this from the site though.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

Sorry dude, off topic, but what does GLHB mean?

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By CptChiken

Its probably due to to when xbox changed the way it stored acheivements which meant they basically broke on the site, and have stayed broken.

Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Phr4nk0

I get all my achievement related info from trueachievements.com. Most people here on Giant Bomb are very dismissive at best and aggressive at worst when you say something about achievements, claiming that they've ruined games and all that. Atleast on the threads I've seen so I keep my achievement whoring to myself.

I may start perusing the achievement section a bit more often and post there and see if there are some achievement enthusiasts there. Though I suspect most go to other sites like x360a or TA because they have a whole community of like-minded achievements and better guides than the sentance or so most achievements on GB have.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By lord_canti

im going to guess that every one who is into achevements have enough to where they feel content, to my understanding jeff is there. i used to be into them but have eased off its kinda late in the gen so things like this happen

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Aishan

They're (still) broken for a large portion of people; mine haven't updated now for months, which I think puts people off from commentating. It's easier to feel part of it if you can actually see your progress.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By wadtomaton

@GloriousDinosaur: Good Luck Have Batman

As to the OP, maybe once Jeff stopped caring the community stopped? He always seemed to be the most "serious" about it. Personally I've always been of the mind of "If I enjoy the game and want to squeeze everything out of it I can, or the achievement/trophy seems interesting, I'll go for it".

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By bibamatt

I used to comment on loads of them. But my achievements have been broken for months and only update if I remove my account and re-add it. It's really squashed my Giant Bomb achievement interest (funnily enough, the thing that bought me to the site in the first place!).

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wickedsc3

I think because the achievements are broken on the site. I know I don't check them out anymore and I miss that.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Cincaid

@Czarpyotr: Yeah, sadly since the tracking of my achievements here have been busted for months I took my discussion and such to trueachievements instead. Nothing against GB of course, but combine the busted tracker along with hostile forum users who insult you for enjoying achievements, I rather take that discussion elsewhere.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@demonknightinuyasha: I think it has more to do with the achievement updating completely breaking. I don't know if it's since been fixed, as I have completely stopped caring about achievements, but when nobodies profiles were updating with their new achievements, there really wasn't any way to keep discussing them in the same way.

Trueachievements does seem like the best place for proper discussion of them, if you do want to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I blame the broken achievement tracking as well. Which is a shame, cause I really enjoy the system here on GB

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead

I can't help but feel that when Microsoft stopped giving a shit, so did a lot of people. Gamer score is one of the scant few interesting ideas in modern video games and it's already been ruined.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crash_Happy

@HandsomeDead: I'll readily admit to having zero interest in gamerscore. Comparing progress in a particular game with someone else though is sometimes interesting.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Evilsbane

@Czarpyotr: Since they broke here just stopped worrying about them, if it is ever fixed I would get back on it but until then could care less, also Dragon Age 2 *Fart Noise* I have no interest in anything else that game has to offer DA1 was fucking amazing, 2 was a fucking mess.

Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Czarpyotr

@GloriousDinosaur: Good Luck, Have Batman

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Ravenlight

Any particular cheevos you'd like to talk about? I saw the black eye. Has Dark Souls been hitting you again?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

@TeflonBilly said:

Yeah, I blame the broken achievement tracking as well. Which is a shame, cause I really enjoy the system here on GB

It's one of the things that definitely made me stop focusing AS hard, but I'm still an achievement whore. I'm not a MASSIVE achievement whore, but I still have my goal of hitting 100,000G. However, if the achievement system on GB got a necessary overhaul (which thanks to PSN Trophies being introduced again, that might happen), I would totally get knee deep in achievement whoring shit all over again.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

The Synching has been broken a wile. So its kinda hard to know what people have and what they need.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#22  Edited By bobafettjm

I still love me some achievements. Since I hit 100k points I haven't tried as hard as I used to, but I still work for them whenever I can.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Andorski

I never used GB to talk about achievement hunting. I just go to xbox360achievements.org for guides and things of that nature while I post in Gamefaqs to ask questions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.