Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Activision Blizzard, Inc.

Company »

Activision Blizzard is the result of a merger between Activision and Vivendi Games worth an estimated $18.9 billion dollars. The merger was approved by the European Commission and finalized on July 9th, 2008.

What do you expect to be announced at Blizzcon?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fredchuckdave

With the not especially wondrous launch of Destiny and the followup cancellation of Titan Blizzard's stock has plummeted about 25% from its all time peak; some of this can be attributed to the market sucking for a bit but the overarching thing here is that Destiny didn't hit as big as it was supposed to (shocking, I know). This basically necessitates some sort of announcement at Blizzcon of a new game from Blizzard. What game do you expect that to be?

Obviously there will be your standard WoW, Starcraft 2, and Hearthstone expansions. Diablo 3 might have an announced expansion but I don't think that's enough by itself and Heroes of the Storm is still a year or two away from its giant tournament opening scene. My guess is something using the Starcraft IP in a different way, but who knows if Titan was basically the Secret World there could be any number of things. Rock and Roll Racing MMO seems to be an ideal result.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't expect any announcements other than something about Into the Void. I think it'll just be a sort of celebration of their work. It's too early to announce the next WoW expansion considering the proximity to the one that's just about to be released. I don't think Diablo 3 is getting another expansion just yet.

The one thing I could see them announcing would be something like Heartstone on the consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

More of what already exists. I will go on record saying Blizzard will never come up with an original IP again. Either I'm right and I love being right, or I'm wrong and the world gets a new Blizzard IP. Win-win.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm hoping for hundreds and hundreds of Hearthstone cards. Naxx was nowhere near enough to change the current meta and it's depressing to play ranked right now.

I'm going to agree with @brodehouse and say that it will be years before Blizzard announces a new IP.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By erhard

Hopefully they'll show that Warcraft movie teaser.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World of Warcraft: A Realm Reborn

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void will get a release date of next summer.

The next Hearthstone Expansion

Heroes of the Storm will officially go to Open Beta or Open Beta date will be announced.

My two wild cards - Next Diablo 3 expansion

It'll be announced that Attendee's will have access to Warlords of Draenor on the Sunday following the event.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By alanm26v5

I think they'll tease a Diablo 3 expansion even if it's 2+ years off.

Personally I would like to see a Warcraft RTS project as a retelling of the events of Warcaft 1 and 2, as I never got to play those.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DystopiaX

@zirilius said:

Heroes of the Storm will officially go to Open Beta or Open Beta date will be announced.

It'll be announced that Attendee's will have access to Warlords of Draenor on the Sunday following the event.

They just started the next stage of the alpha I doubt they'll go right into the beta for Heroes

I think logo for D3 expansion if anything at all

Legacy of the Void probably going to be there in some form (cinematic trailer probably)

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Outside of a WoW movie teaser or the last Starcraft expansion, I can't imagine any notable news coming out of Blizzcon this year. Anything's possible, but seems unlikely.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

A big CG trailer... and nothing else.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius said:

They just started the next stage of the alpha I doubt they'll go right into the beta for Heroes

I think logo for D3 expansion if anything at all

Legacy of the Void probably going to be there in some form (cinematic trailer probably)

Yeah but they aren't doing any more level wipes for the "alpha" so I can see them going the route of Smite and just calling it a beta while the push on.

Totally forgot about the WoW movie so yeah there will be that .

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Chris Watters in-game WoW pet for all attendees.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Apart from maybe a Legacy of the Void teaser, I don't expect much. Seems like they've got their hands full with Hearthstone and WoW at the moment.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@village_guy: If there is a surprise it would fit into D3 or SC2 I imagine. If there are no new announcements aside from D3 that's none too good for the company.

Is "How to become an arena legend" just a long Trump/Kripp interview or something? There isn't really a reliable list of the "best" arena players so I don't think anyone actually knows who the best players are; except that Trump is probably in the Upper Echelon somewhere simply due to the volume of games played. Strifecro's self calculated win rate is like 85% in Arena.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I expect Heroes of the Storm to have an announced public beta or a release date.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By sodapop7

I really hope we get some serious info on the last Starcraft 2 expansion. I really enjoyed both campaigns so far and am just about ready to go back to some serious Starcrafting.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Definitely not a new IP, maybe some expansions?

Diablo 1 & 2 HD PS4/XB1?

I love Blizzard but I'm really not excited about their games right now.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@village_guy: If there is a surprise it would fit into D3 or SC2 I imagine. If there are no new announcements aside from D3 that's none too good for the company.

Blizzard could probably just stop announcing things for a few years and it wouldn't harm the company.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lost Vikings 3 (alternate title: Lost Vikings With a Vengeance).

facktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Definite: Legacy of the Void gameplay / story trailers. New Hearthstone expansion. Game tournaments. Lots of numbers.

Maybe: New Diablo expansion, Heroes of the Storm moves into "Beta" the day its announced.

Long Shot: Rock and Roll Racing for iOS.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: Uh... no. Aside from Hearthstone and Diablo pretty much everything is in decline at Blizzard and everything is in decline at Activision as well. Hearthstone is awesome and all but probably won't fuel the company by itself, Diablo is a really easy game to screw up at any point; don't be surprised if that happens (again). SC2 is so absurdly difficult relative to every other game including fighting games that there is just no appeal aside from the campaign (as someone who actually is good at SC2); yeah it's interesting to watch but if you try to sell that to someone who hasn't played it before it's just impossible. Call of Duty is Call of Duty. Destiny is going to be good in like 3 years, it remains to be seen when that will actually reflect from a business perspective and not continue to be seen as a failure and a massive disappointment.

Titan existing was a huge deal, doesn't matter if it ever got made; the simple notion that there would be a future Blizzard game of some kind. Blizzard; you know the golden company who could n'ere do wrong, the last one left, simultaneously the only hope for MMOs and RTS's. That aura is *poof* gone if there isn't something new to look forward to.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Titan

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 Ben_H  Online

They absolutely need to release stuff for SC2. The game is getting very dull. Even most of the diehard people I know (I used to be one) are either getting bored and playing less or have moved on. I didn't get bored of Wings of Liberty for the entire span of its release, I got bored of Heart of the Swarm after a year. The new units detracted a great deal and have forced the game into a very stale state. A Korean caster recently was talking about the game needing huge changes and I thought his entire comment was spot on. Nearly all balance issues in the game are caused by the new HOTS units, with the Widow Mines, Oracles, and Swarmhosts all being quite problematic. The mothership core is an entirely different issue.

There's a new lead for the game so hopefully huge changes will occur. The game needs it. Badly.

Expendable90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a pity that nobody remembers The Lost Vikings :P All I see are comments about a new diablo or starcraft expansion and wow. And you guys call yourselves true Blizzard fans. Pathetic and lame !!!

I would love to see the The Lost Vikings brought back to life. A part 3 would be awesome. 1 & 2 in HD for handheld devices and consoles would be also great.

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I settle down for a release date for Heroes of the Storm.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Blizzards "dying" MMO announced today that subscriptions are up by over 600k this month. They still have millions of people subscribed to that game and the numbers will rise more than that 600k once the expansion actually launches.

Heartstone makes them a good amount of money. Diablo 3 is finally a very good game and was just launched in an ultimate edition on two consoles which have very little else and almost no competition in the ARPG space. SC2 has very little competition in the RTS department, lots of people still actually buy it just for the story and they have Heros coming out/going into open beta/release probably within 2015 which will tick over a tidy sum of money.

Between 2004 and 2010 the company did nothing but release WoW and it's expansions and work on some stuff in the background. They announced SC2 in 07 and Diablo 3 in 08. So for 3 years they just had nothing but WoW and then for another 3 years they only released WoW products.

If they're happy enough to can Titan after years of work, I'm sure they think they're financially sound for another few years before they have to worry about making any sort of new IP again. They've already said that they don't want to be the "MMO" company or get pigeon holed into a certain type of game.

CoD will probably be the biggest selling game this year considering the Assassins Creed games are split over two generations. And Destiny despite being a bit of a flop will probably somehow still manage to make good on Activisions investment into it considering the initial sales figures. They also make this product called Skylanders. It sells better than cocaine and cocaine is probably a cheaper hobby to have.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@jesus_phish: I never said "dying" so not sure what that is. Subs are up after being down pretty much every month since SoO came out, the reason they're up is simple: they gave people a free level 90. Diablo 3 is good now but may never recover from the initial bad response at least on PC.

The difference between 2004 and now is ridiculously huge; 2004 is the release of one of the most influential games of all time, 2006 is the most successful expansion in the history of anything; and while Wrath was a minor disappointment generally speaking people were still happy with the game at the end of it.

Both Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 were expected to be announced years and years beforehand and in development for a decade a piece roughly.

No Caption Provided

Acti-Blizz will still make money regardless but losing 5-6 points in a month if your height is 24 isn't exactly a sign of a healthy company. They need to do something to make people excited again.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius said:

StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void will get a release date of next summer. 9

Well I was semi close. No release date announced for SC2, Goblins vs Gnomes announced, and closed beta instead of open beta in January.

Definitely didn't see a TF2 style FPS coming.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius: Well there had to be some new game, I figured it would just be a basic ass shooter because that's what people make now but sure why not have a TF2 shooter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.