Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Age of Booty

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 15, 2008

Sail the high seas, pillage towns, and fight off pirate rivals in Certain Affinity's pirate-themed RTS, Age of Booty.

HORRIBLE game-finding service!

CerealKil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CerealKil

I'm not sure I used strong enough language in the topic. This is a great game. It's fun to play. I was under the impression that I could play this game online with others. That just isn't true! I want my money back!

I am more patient than most people, but waiting more than an hour during prime time without finding a single game just isn't fun. If this game-finding service isn't fixed, the game will die. I will list my grievances here:
    1: WHY is it not possible to create a game manually and allow random people to join it like in any other game?
    2: WHY is it not possible to see a list of lobbies with people in them and select one to join manually like in any other game?
    3: If there is lack of people online to fill a lobby, why not allow for AI plyers?
    4: Using the game-finding service, I join an empty lobby, 2 seconds later, another person joins. 2 seconds later, it sends me out searching for a new game! WHY?
    5: Using the game-finding service, a lobby fills up, one person leaves (probably sent looking for a new game by this stupid thing) and the game launces anyway with one team lacking a player! WHY?
    6: Often, one player is disconnected as soon as the game starts. I've had this happen in other games too. I can understand this. Why not pause the game to wait for this final player, or possibly allow a new player to join an ongoing game, taking over the ship of the person who got disconnected?
    7: I consider myself a fairly private person. All the above issues have led me to the conclusion that the only way to find a game is to add EVERYONE I meet to my friends list. When I get a big anough list, I can create a private game and invite them. *sigh*

Some of these issues may have to do with ping-times, NAT routers, firewalls etc. Without any error messages or feedback as to the cause of the problems, it just leaves players frustrated. I appreciate that the developers wanted to make a service where finding a game was easy, but please either make it work or provide (manual) alternatives.

I suggest the developers play a game using Blizzard's battle.net. That works!

Way to ruin a good game...

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TwoOneFive

hmm i only have the demo now, but i've played it before at an event, and i have to say its awesome an multiplayer game. so its sad to here these issues. hopefully its not widespread and its just you. 

CerealKil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CerealKil

Forgot to mention that it's made my PS3 lock up (freeze) twice since I got the game yesterday.

Jackel0pe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jackel0pe

Hey guys,
    Quickly, i heard about this thread from users in our Capcom-unity.com/ageofbooty forums. 

A lot of these problems people have reported is from a pair of leaked builds.  We are putting a patch together to fix this.  These builds have unapproved changes, broken code, and are effecting other peoples games as well.  They were not approved by Capcom or Sony; they leaked out.  A patch is making its way to market quickly, and we should have it fixed soon.  Sorry to all who have suffered from this.

~tim

Avatar image for registerherethereeverywhere
    registerherethereeverywhere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the same problems as the initial poster, only  slightly worse. Finding multiplay games works as described above(i.e. porly), only whenever a session is about to launch I am immediately disconnected. Every single time. I have never been able to enter a multiplay game. (other games work just fine).

This is a short summary of how I got the game: I first downloaded the demo from PSN, then bought the game from the PSN shop. Downloaded again in PSN, got a message saying "exact same version already installed", installed again anyway.

Now, _how_ exactly could these problems be from leaked code? How in Gods name can "leaked code" end up on the PSN shop?

I was under the impression Sony is extremely strict about these things. All code must be reviewed, approved and digitally signed (and encrypted for all I know) before it gets anywhere near PSN.

tim: From what you write, I assume you are affeliated with either the developers of the publishers of this game. Is this correct? Also, is this the official game forum? Just want to make sure I'm in the right place here.

When can we expect a fix?

Jackel0pe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jackel0pe
    registerherethereeverywhere said:
    Now, _how_ exactly could these problems be from leaked code? How in Gods name can "leaked code" end up on the PSN shop?

1.02 patch just went live today.  You will need to delete the previous version and redownload from the Download List inside the Sony Store.

I was under the impression Sony is extremely strict about these things. All code must be reviewed, approved and digitally signed (and encrypted for all I know) before it gets anywhere near PSN.

You are well informed, that is true.  In fact the version that went live was rejected by Sony and Capcom.  How it ended up going live is still a mystery to us.  But it got out, so we (Capcom) are cleaning up the mess.  Sony controls what goes live, so it was essentially their process that malfunctioned.

tim: From what you write, I assume you are affeliated with either the developers of the publishers of this game. Is this correct?

Yes, i am Capcom's Associate Producer on Age of Booty.  If you saw the drunken chaos video with Adam and Kraig, those guys work here with me at Capcom (in San Mateo, CA).  Cleaning up this problem has been part of my daily job since it happened.  I only wish i could have prevented it, or fixed it faster, but it was a complicated process to fix, and wasn't our mistake to begin with, so it took a chunk of time.

Also, is this the official game forum? Just want to make sure I'm in the right place here.

No, this isn't an official forum, but i like Giant Bomb, and both times i posted here because i really liked this site.

When can we expect a fix?

It is up now (1/21/09), ~tim

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.