Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Aion: Ascension

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Aion: Tower of Eternity is an MMORPG by NCSoft with a unique PvPvE system using the first CryEngine. Originally released in Korea, it was relaunched for China, Japan, Taiwan, North America and Europe in 2009.

other Aion Newbie Questions

BeefWaterfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BeefWaterfall

Did a skim of the main website and the top newbie guides but didn't see the answers to some of these other questions I had.  If anyone can help answer them, that would be great. 

Question #1: The PvP: Is it like World of Warcraft where, if you're in a level 20-30 zone, a player of the opposite faction can come in with a bunch of friends and have a gank fest? Warhammer had a mechanic where higher brackets can't pvp in lower tier zones. Level 40's couldn't go to the level 20 RvR zone and gank away. Does Aion have something similar? 

Question #2: Does the holy trinity still exist? (Holy Trinity= Tank, DPS, Healer) From what I've seen on videos, it seems you don't need the holy trinity to do every day regular quests. However, what about dungeons and bigger encounters? Am I gonna have to stand around for a half hour trying to get someone of a specific class to join my group so we can start playing the content? 

Question #3: Is there a mentor (like EQ2) or side kick system (like City of Heroes)? Something to help friends with different play times. Y'know, one guy is level 34, the other guy is level 21.  One guy can lower himself to 21 or bump his friend to 34. With most MMOs, buddies with different life schedules can't play together until you're both max level. This for me happens with every MMO. Like 5-6 friends of mine all get the game at the same time, then we can't play together until like 10 months later when we're all max level. Usually along the way, 4 friends stop playing entirely. 

Question #4: If I do join Aion and play, is their an over-powered class.? Every MMO has one. I used to not care. Y'know, the old mantra "play whatever you feel is fun". Yeah well, I always ended up with the gimp class. Murphy's Law laughing at me. If I play this game, I'm thinking about selling out and joining the masses and rolling a class that everyone thinks is the most powerful. That sounds horrible doesn't it?  I know, I know... but I'm just tired of the playing the one class that's gimpy.

Question #5: Are there no dungeons to go to in each level bracket?  I've heard of the dungeons in the Abyss area for the higher levels, but none in the lower areas? That would be disappointing. 

dice66111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dice66111

Good questions i can kinda help with on. # 2 if you look at some of the higher classes there are classes like Templar that has a lot of defense. Clerics witch can heal and rangers and assassins.

Darniaq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Darniaq
    @BeefWaterfall: I'm not the biggest expert, but here's what I've found:

Question #1 (PvP gankage):

After you hit 20, you are in zones that can be invaded. Those zones are linked to a similar zone on the other faction, similar in terms of level bracket. And periodically, a portal opens somewhere in the zone that links the zones either way. This portal can show up in one of ten locations I think, and those locations don't change. So yes, you can be ganked if you're not careful. Additionally, while the zones are linked through these portals, I think players can also travel freely between the zones through normal walk/run/flight. So yea, an enemy can enter a higher tier zone, travel to a lower one, and gank. 

So yes, it's a bit like playing WoW on a PvP+ server.

Question #2 (Holy Trinity):

Yes, this dynamic exists. Your tank wants a healer wants a DPSer. The abilities are spread around a bit though. So you've got tanks that can self-heal, DPSers with pets, healer/DPS. It's basically how a WoW class actually defines their role through the Talent Tree (Shadow Priest vs Healer Priest).

Question #3 (Mentor/Sidekick):

No. I suspect that will change in time though.

Question #4 (Gimp/OP/FoTM classes):

Not really. Part of this though is because the game's been out almost a year. The only class I've heard people stay away from right now is Spiritmaster (the Mage pet sub-class), mostly because Pets don't fly and because SM DoTs don't stack with other SM DoTs. Both of these I think they'll fix soon, but I'm surprised they haven't already.

Question #5 (PvE Dungeons/Raiding/Dead Mines):

Not that I've seen. They seem to want to be along a different vector, the whole PvPvM stuff where you can PvE with the threat of PvP hanging over your head. Focusing development on PvE content is a slippery slope if they keep wanting people to PvP.

Hope this helped!
    BeefWaterfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BeefWaterfall

Thanks Darniaq!  I'm a bit disappointed that this game still has some of the same old things I dislike in MMO games.  

First Disappointment: a level based system where your character hits harder with bigger numbers with each level and then allowing these guys to have free access to lower level characters. I don't like what my friends and I call sheep/wolf gameplay. Basically, you play as sheep until you reach max. level. Then you finally get to play as a wolf and the next generation of leveling characters is the sheep for you. 

Second Disappointment: Also, no mentor/side kick equalizer for friends with big level gaps? Hmmm....another big minus.   

Third possible Disappointment: lack of dungeons in each leveling bracket?

This is all unfortunate. The game has some cool animations, some fantastic music, and beautiful landscapes to explore.  I was very close to impulse buying. However, I wanted to do research first. 

Darniaq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Darniaq

The level disparity doesn't appear to be as much an impact as WoW or WAR. But that's mostly from reports rather than first-hand experience. Either I find out my group of mid-20s gets rolled by a single level 35 player, or Borderlands launches and it's all a moot point anyway :)

Otherwise, I agree. Aion has some of the old style thinking Western MMOs have long since patched or rethought. The mentor/sidekick thing is still relatively new to the genre (enough so that only one game had it before EQ2, and WoW still doesn't), but the openness of PvP and the lack of WoW-style bracketed dungeons really shows the Eastern influence of the game. "Raiding" over in South Korea, Japan, Taiwan and China is a very different form than the whack-a-mole slot machine of the West :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.