Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alien Swarm

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jul 19, 2010

A freeware top-down co-operative shooter where a squad of marines must investigate and prevent the spread of a rampant alien infestation. It was originally a total conversion for Unreal Tournament 2004 before its team, hired by Valve for other projects, completed it as a side-project.

An early love letter to Alien Swarm

RivaOni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By RivaOni

I honestly do not give enough time to my PC as a gaming machine. In all honesty its not as good as I'd like it to be, but it runs pretty much everything thats available on the Source engine and Football Manager 2009 so thats more than enough to keep me happy (in fact FM 2009 is probably my most played game since Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast if I'm being honest). I'm beginning to think that will change with the download of Alien Swarm.

Okay, I've actually only played it for about 25 minutes and that was this evening, in single player. But provided I really love the atmosphere of it. It reminds me of James Cameron's entry into the Aliens series (the second film for those that don't know). Especially because of the Motion Sensor, but also because of the manner in which the game relies on everybody watching each others back. There's more to it than Left 4 Dead in my opinion, although thats a damned good game too. I don't think the price tag has swung my opinion either, although I doubt I'd of bothered with it if it hadn't of been free (unless I'd of managed to get a code of the developer/publisher to review it for bitparade.

Graphically it suprised me, Okay its not the sort of game you use to show off your rig, but its got its own style and its a pleasurable one at that. The sound too is top notch, especially because they've copied the noise of the Motion Tracker in Aliens and the different classes give room for mixing things up a bit. I can most definetly see me playing more of this in the future.

RivaOni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RivaOni

I honestly do not give enough time to my PC as a gaming machine. In all honesty its not as good as I'd like it to be, but it runs pretty much everything thats available on the Source engine and Football Manager 2009 so thats more than enough to keep me happy (in fact FM 2009 is probably my most played game since Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast if I'm being honest). I'm beginning to think that will change with the download of Alien Swarm.

Okay, I've actually only played it for about 25 minutes and that was this evening, in single player. But provided I really love the atmosphere of it. It reminds me of James Cameron's entry into the Aliens series (the second film for those that don't know). Especially because of the Motion Sensor, but also because of the manner in which the game relies on everybody watching each others back. There's more to it than Left 4 Dead in my opinion, although thats a damned good game too. I don't think the price tag has swung my opinion either, although I doubt I'd of bothered with it if it hadn't of been free (unless I'd of managed to get a code of the developer/publisher to review it for bitparade.

Graphically it suprised me, Okay its not the sort of game you use to show off your rig, but its got its own style and its a pleasurable one at that. The sound too is top notch, especially because they've copied the noise of the Motion Tracker in Aliens and the different classes give room for mixing things up a bit. I can most definetly see me playing more of this in the future.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The game definitely borrowed heavily from Aliens and while I don't think there's more to it than there is to a game like Left 4 Dead it's still a good game.

Thunderstarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Thunderstarter

I'm downloading it right now. It's been created by the gods of shooters. I think we can bank on the fact that most people will love it.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I love this game and it's really fun, especially the fact that it goes beyond L4D since it has unique classes (i.e. medic, tech, etc.) that are crucial in order to survive the missions. However, the only thing that bothers me is the voice work of the guy that talks at the start of each mission.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By wunder_

It definitely has some great things going for it and I'm sure we'll see more custom campaigns come out by users creating absurd looking levels, but I just wish there was some customizability in the UI. I like the active reload and the movement scanner but I wish it was somewhere so I don't have to move my head back and forth and keep my eyes in front of me too. I play medic so I have to watch out for all my teammates and where they're shooting so I don't walk into them, all the while either shooting as well or using the medigun. Although, thoroughly enjoying it for now!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.