Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 08, 2010

A first-person survival horror game with advanced physics-based puzzles from Frictional Games, the creators of the Penumbra series. Its dynamic of light and darkness and focus on avoidance of enemies rather than combat have been highly influential in recent horror games.

So I turned off all the lights, put my headphones on and...

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

Edited By galiant

...it started off well. The atmosphere was creepy. It was dark. Strange noises and a very interesting premise. Amnesia, wandering a spooky castle? Hell yes!

It took me a long time to find that switch. It was so dark and I didn't want to waste my oil! But now I'm stuck in this hallway with two rooms...rocks fell down behind me and there's not a lot to explore but I don't know how to move on! I see the fragile bricks, and I've tried banging a rusty helmet against it, and chairs even, nothing works. This shadow thing that I haven't seen yet that I'm not supposed to fight is intriguing, but I feel like this game is really lacking direction, and for a game that seems to encourage exploration - why is my lamp on a damn timer?!

Long story short, I'm stuck, not scared, and not sure if I'm willing to continue. Am I missing out? Should I get over this slight threshold and give it another chance?

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By galiant

...it started off well. The atmosphere was creepy. It was dark. Strange noises and a very interesting premise. Amnesia, wandering a spooky castle? Hell yes!

It took me a long time to find that switch. It was so dark and I didn't want to waste my oil! But now I'm stuck in this hallway with two rooms...rocks fell down behind me and there's not a lot to explore but I don't know how to move on! I see the fragile bricks, and I've tried banging a rusty helmet against it, and chairs even, nothing works. This shadow thing that I haven't seen yet that I'm not supposed to fight is intriguing, but I feel like this game is really lacking direction, and for a game that seems to encourage exploration - why is my lamp on a damn timer?!

Long story short, I'm stuck, not scared, and not sure if I'm willing to continue. Am I missing out? Should I get over this slight threshold and give it another chance?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By flaminghobo

I will agree that the game isn't great with letting you know which direction to take etc. but there are a number of events further on in the game that you don't want to miss out on! 

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By cjmabry
    @FlamingHobo said:
    I will agree that the game isn't great with letting you know which direction to take etc. but there are a number of events further on in the game that you don't want to miss out on! 
    Gah! Get a new change of pants ready. 
    forestd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By forestd

I believe you are correct in banging the fragile bricks, I would suggest trying the chair again.

Also oil is fairy easy to come by, so you shouldn't feel too bad using it (I would suggest adjusting the gamma just enough to let you see when your lantern is turned off though, and save oil that way). And I would guess that they made oil a limited resource to heighten tension and make you appreciate lighted areas, and dread darkened ones.

Its hard to say if you are going to like the rest of the game, but I found it to be one of the most unsettling and downright nervewracking horror experiences in any medium. Later on, you encounter puzzles as well, and that is basically Amnesia: exploring an extremely unnerving and Lovecraftian nightmare mansion, and solving the occasional logic- and physics based puzzle.

If that sounds like your kinda thing, Amnesia is one of the best in its genre.

@cjmabry said:

@FlamingHobo said:
    Like the invisible water monster... that thing scared the shit out of me.
    Gah! Get a new change of pants ready.

I was physically shaking after this, and had to take a break. It might be my nominee for scariest sequence in any horror game.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ZimboDK
    @FlamingHobo said:
    That part was so god damn creepy. I was actually sweating when that level was over.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By galiant

@FlamingHobo: @forestd: @ZimboDK: Wow, that does sound like something I'd like to experience for myself! I feel like I've only scratched the surface of this game, but I find it so hard to get over the fact that I get lost so easily and that my damn lantern won't last...I suppose I'll take your advice and turn the gamma up a bit. I'll jump back into it again sometime. Soon, I hope.

Maybe not right now though, it's so dark...I'm afraid I might get scared!

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZimboDK
    @Galiant: Keep persevering. You could look at guides or Youtube videos if you're really stuck. Also, I just remembered the level that was completely black except for your lantern... Yeah, I'm never playing that game again.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By valrog

You guys are scaring me.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By imsh_pl

This is related.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By YI_Orange

I think that sequence everyone is talking about is the only one that actually got my heart rate up in the entire game. Maybe not knowing what to do kind of broke the atmosphere a bit, maybe I went in with too many expectations, or maybe I just don't scare easily enough (I can't say for sure, I don't play much survival horror) but I found myself just wanting it to be over after 4 or 5 hours.

If you're not finding yourself enjoying it then I wouldn't try and convince you to keep playing. I would recommend at least experiencing the water sequence though. If you still don't wanna play after that, then you can stop.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZimboDK
    @imsh_pl: I always loved that video. Also, fuck that. I'm gonna write to Steam and ask them to remove the game from my account. I'm never touching that shit again.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By imsh_pl
    @ZimboDK: "Oh shit! I have a bag of Milky Ways!"
    "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
    KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#13  Edited By KillyDarko
    @ZimboDK said:
    @FlamingHobo said:
    That part was so god damn creepy. I was actually sweating when that level was over.
    Same here. That was the first time I actually felt scared in a game... ever! Amnesia is such a great game :)
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By galiant

@imsh_pl: Hah, that was pretty great. That guy is real scared considering he's on Skype at the same time...

@YI_Orange: I think I'll give it another go. I might have been expecting too much going in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.