Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Amplitude

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jan 05, 2016

Harmonix is going back to its roots and producing a new Amplitude for PS3 and PS4.

First impressions

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 27

Pretty much say how you feel about the game whether you're new to the series like I am or a played the previous games.

Like I said this was my first time playing Amplitude and after the first few songs in the demo I can totally see why people like it. The sense of movement and feel from not just hitting the notes to the music but having a clean transition from different sounds is pretty cool. Will buy later this week.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I absolutely love it. For me, they nailed exactly what I wanted. The big criticisms I've seen have been about the length and quality of the music, specifically the lack of licensed tracks. But as someone who played through both Amplitude and Frequency numerous times, I think the length is definitely on par with the originals (Amplitude had 35 songs, I think?). Also, I never cared for the licensed music in those original games. In 2001-2003 I was listening to a lot of Captain Beefheart and free jazz and shit like that so I was really turned off by the Blink 182 and No Doubt and all that crap in the originals. I much preferred the songs whose only context I had was specific to playing those games; Symbion Project, Freezepop, etc. Those in-house artists are well represented here with the added touch of a Dark Side of the Moon in IMAX treatment that is a little silly but still very fun. Plus, I unlocked the Frequency tunnel and that has been the best part for me since I always preferred Frequency's layout and general style over Amplitude's.

My only real complaint is that the harder difficulties are really challenging on the PS4s triggers, but I'll get used to that, I'm sure. Still, I can't help but wish that I could hook up a Dualshock 2 for the last few songs on the hardest difficulties. That controller was made for these kinds of games.

I don't expect anybody to agree with my assessment, and that's ok. But I'm glad to see one of my favorite video games of all time has a sequel that not only lives up to the first game, but surpasses it in a few ways that are important to me. Definitely worth 20 bucks in my opinion.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GabrielCantor

I made a post when the backer release went out and have only played it little more since then, my general opinion is still the same.

I never played the original, and would say this game is fine. My biggest complaint is just the way combos/switching lanes can work sometimes where it ends up being impossible for you to see what you need to hit in the lane you're switching to and having no way to reliably keep a combo. Not sure if this is a "me" problem, but it feels REAL bad every time it happens as it feels like an unfair difficulty thing. Where if given the notes straight on I could probably do it no problem, but the arbitrary obfuscation of notes makes it impossible. I didn't have this problem in RB Blitz for example.

Besides this one thing that kinda makes me not want to play on higher difficulties, I like it. The controls took some getting used to, and the songs have grown on me more as time goes on. I still think the Skullgirls and Necrodance tracks are the best though.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epidehl: I didn't notice the lane switching thing, but you're right. That lane changing can be difficult. The original definitely had that problem, which is one reason why I prefer the tunnel. It's easier to prepare to switch lanes to keep the combo going because those notes might be above you, for example, instead of across the screen. Granted, that problem isn't solved with the tunnel, but i definitely think it helps some.

marzz4967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man this game is so good.

I wasn't a big fan of the "pop" soundtrack of the original Amplitude and liked the techno and club tracks a lot better; in fact I thought Frequency's soundtrack was the better one.

I can't see many more soundtracks coming out this year that nail it as hard as Harmonix did with this game. The campaign's soundtrack, the "concept album" idea is fantastic. Every single track sticks the landing IMO, and then the free play songs are just as great. Having Freezepop back with a new song was basically required for the game to be complete, and they brought back Synthesized.

My two negative strikes are that the R2 button on the controller is analog and I'd kill to have a PS2 controller to play this on; and that the new Komputer Kontroller track is exclusive to kickstarter backers.

This game's so good. I can't help it, and I can't put it down. All the muscle memory I had from the original games is still here. I threw the game immediately on Expert mode and I'm playing flawlessly. I can't wait until I get to Super difficulty.

MachoElbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in love.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from the occasional lane switching issues, having it be impossible to know what note to hit quickly enough, I am really liking this game. Never played much of the others, and a bit of Rockband Blitz but yeah this game just really clicks.

A little PSA: if you have a fightstick then with the PS4's button mapping you can pretty easily use it for this game and it feels awesome.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It's supposed to be released on the 6th in most parts of Europe. Still waiting.
    It's supposed to be released on the 6th in most parts of Europe. Still waiting.

samuelrgreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First thing I noticed playing this was that there was no controller vibration - it really freaked me out for some reason...

That aside the graphics are great, the soundtrack bar two songs is great and they seem to have been pretty faithful to the feel of the originals. Also the R2 trigger doesn't beat the DS2 but using a fightstick while playing is always pretty fun.

Better than RB4.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

megabite10164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

@samuelrgreen: Yeah my buddy has some Japanese style Arcade machines and it's a blast playing arcade style. When playing at home going for high scores I use a HORI Fighting Commander.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I can't wait for the any DLC. The soundtrack's okay, but nowhere near the quality of the original Amplitude's tracklist.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

I was pretty cold on this one prior to the lead up of the release. I played a little Frequency, and loved the original Amplitude. I'll admit I'm a sucker for licensed tracks.

That being said, after playing through a couple songs on the PS4 demo, it felt like old times. I can see myself buying this down the road maybe if it's a little cheaper.

w00tazn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By w00tazn

So... I was a "Song Senate" level backer on the KS. I'm relatively happy with how the game ended up and I think that the original soundtrack is really good.

However, I'm not exactly happy with how HMX handled their communication between them and the KS backers and how what was promised on the KS for how much involvement the "Song Senate" would have was technically fulfilled... it definitely did not amount to a $250 difference in value between it and the previous tier.

It seems like the newly established PR guys are looking into things now, but we were definitely kept in the dark for almost a year as the game was being finalized and shipped.

Either way, game is great and you should play it if you like rhythm games or have enjoyed Frequency/Amplitude in the past.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#15  Edited By StarvingGamer

Only had a chance to play like a minute of the tutorial not even the whole tutorial but yep it's amplitude I think I'm going to play it using my hitbox because I am a monster.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Silver-Streak

I am a bit of an oddity when it comes to rhythm games. I have no interest in music (no dislikes, just no interest, don't listen to it regularly, etc), but hand-eye coordination games have always been a favorite. Whether it be a rhythm game, a shooter, or even something like DDR.

I bought Frequency and Amplitude when it came out, and have hours of fun beta testing the Frequency Online mode that never came to fruition at retail. Amplitude is a really great new sequel, and I really enjoy doing score challenges with my friends.

Again, I can't speak to the quality of the soundtrack. Nothing offends me, but my opinion on it is pretty much non-existant.

Also, I'm somehow in the top 10% on the leaderboard. I guess I'm ok?

Edit: Maaan. Got my score great enough to be in the top 1% (currently #1042). But still cannot do well enough on Advanced Dalatect in campaign mode to got to the final special stage and get the trophy.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

I backed it largely to support Harmonix, kind of lukewarm on it after playing last night for the first time. The overall package feels very barebones, the songlist leaves something to be desired, maintaining streaks can be really annoying when swapping between far away tracks, and the two major control schemes have big flaws (R2 trigger too long to pull and impossible to keep speed with one finger on square/triangle/circle).

Willing to play it some more and see if I can overcome my issues, but I don't see putting nearly as much time into this as I did Rock Band Blitz. Primarily because I'd rather play my own songlist, not house electronic stuff. The fact that Necrodancer is the most fun track on the list is pretty telling.

kreeztoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I love the visual design and even quite enjoy the tracklist, but (and maybe this is just me being a bad player) I am having trouble with switching to lanes I can't see. Because of the way the tracks curve around, I find myself often jumping to lanes completely blind and unable to react fast enough to hit the first note, therefor losing my streak. My only solution so far has been to retry songs enough that I memorize the spots where this happens, but that seems like poor design to me.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By csl316

Played some Frequency demos back in the day, so I didn't have much nostalgia for this thing (though I played a TON of Guitar Hero/Rock Band).

I'm loving it. Since I have nothing to compare it to, it's super novel and extremely well made. I'm enjoying the experimental nature of the music and I hope they expand on it ta some point.

Though when you miss it makes the Crash Bandicoot Wumpa fruit sound, so I don't know how that makes me feel.

hiono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had heard mentions of this game here and there for months. I finally decided to check it out, which happened to be the day it came out. I scrambled to find videos to watch. A few videos in and 30 minutes of watching amplitude I didn't understand what was going on at all. The hype that I had built up for this game in the matter of minutes was gone as fast as it was acquired. I decided to pick it up anyway at only $20 + me being a fan rhythm games whats the worst that could happen? I would say after beating the campaign with her still in a coma, I guess lack the skill required currently. The difficulties seem to be balanced, my main issue with it has been as mentioned many time in this thread is switching lanes although Freq mode seems to help with that. I would say the game is worth the money...though the amount that I had to say about the process of deciding to buy the game versus about the game it self says otherwise.

Cathadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

My first pass with the game left me with a tepid appreciation, but I've really fallen in love with Amplitude over the past few weeks thanks to a high-score feud with a friend of mine. Having online leaderboards is such an important feature for this type of rhythm game, and Harmonix has done a decent job with the implementation here. One improvement I'd like would be to have the option of displaying my score compared to friends at the checkpoints during the middle of a song to get a better idea of how good a run I'm on.

I would have initially been very concerned with the track list having so much in-house Harmonix music on it, but their campaign concept album has ended up being the my favorite music from the game. As unlikely as it would be, I love to see them return to the game this fall or sometime in 2017 with a "season 2" campaign with a new concept album.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.