Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Antichamber

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jan 31, 2013

A first-person exploration/puzzle game set within a boldly-colored world with a focus on non-euclidean geometry and optical illusions.

Your Impressions so far?

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Jackel2072

Antichamber has generated quite the bit of buzz over the years from its abstract art style to introducing us the the term "non euclidean geometry" Its also a game that for the most part has hinged on the idea, that you should know nothing about this game other then its a puzzle game before playing. (something as gamers doesn't happen much in our realm) so now thats its here and we have gotten to play it, what do we all think of it? Personally for me... i dont think i like it... call me simple minded but i thought i love the idea of of being thrown into a world where up is right down is left and everything else in between. turns out im just not having any fun. sure im solving puzzles and moving forward ( dont know if thats the right term for this game?) but im not feeling any kind of drive to solving any of the puzzles im just kind of feeling meh about the whole thing. This is of course only my opinion, and im not saying im going to stop playing it, but as of right now im just not feeling it.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TAFAE

I dunno, I think it's pretty incredible, but I'm content with my only reward for solving these logic puzzles to simply be seeing the solution, not getting some story hook or something else like that from it. I really love intricate level design too, which this game definitely has going for it. Maybe you just haven't had a solution or revelation hit you the right way yet? So far the biggest thing for me has been

realizing thatyou can generate more cubes by making square outlines.

Working that out and then using it to progress was easily the most satisfying thing I experienced so far.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shiftymagician

I'm totally feeling it. I absolutely love being able to take my time, poking around each room and ultimately, hoping to figure out what will happen with that one purple cube...

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Bell_End

i thinks great.

spend about 3 hours playing last night in a dark room on my 48" screen after a cheeky toke and a glass of red. brilliant.

can't wait to finish work so i can play some more.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Optix12

@TAFAE: Yea i got super stuck until i figured that bit out. Also as it says in one of the signs, pay attention to everything, the game basically teaches you everything you need to know on how to finish the game quite easily. I still dont know what the timer is about.

but im betting if you "complete" the game within that timer i bet something extra happens at the end.

Also if anyone is reading this to get an idea about the game, i suggest just get the game and play it with no knowledge on it.

EDIT: crappy typing.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By mrfluke

i am in love with this game. its incredible

superjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By superjoe

I enjoyed the game though it does become heavy on blocks/opening locks as you progress with less emphasis on the Escher-type puzzles seen earlier.

Many Different Angles was my favorite room as it incorporates many of the tricks you learned.

Without a doubt my least favorite room, one of the cul de sacs on the map, is the puzzle inside an aquarium-sized force field that only had 4 openings to insert blocks into.

marcustorrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By marcustorrent

@Optix12 said:

@TAFAE: Yea i got super stuck until i figured that bit out. Also as it says in one of the signs, pay attention to everything, the game basically teaches you everything you need to know on how to finish the game quite easily. I still dont know what the timer is about.

but im betting if you "complete" the game within that timer i bet something extra happens at the end.

Also if anyone is reading this to get an idea about the game, i suggest just get the game and play it with no knowledge on it.

EDIT: crappy typing.

I played through a second time to see if there was a difference - I did not see anything appreciably different. I got what I needed to finish the game and ran for the ending.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
    deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea more than playing it. Just messing around with how the world works is really cool but I keep finding I can't do stuff more because the controls get in the way rather than it being difficult.

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By matti00

When I'm figuring puzzles out at a decent clip I feel like I'm blazing through the game. If I get stuck then I can be there forever (as has just happened).

It's weird, I feel like I'm almost at the end but I've only played about 3-4 hours. I can't be.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlashDance

I think this game has a serious lack of personality. It's just a series of brain teasers chained without logic in no particular order. Maybe it all makes sense after a while but I don't know, I'm not feeling it.

I'll keep digging though.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OfficeGamer

I'm too scared to try it, it feels like a vivid deserted DOOM map. Fucking ghosts EVERYWHERE

dooscent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By dooscent

It's pretty great.

I also loved the room that shows you a screenshot-by-screenshot chronology of the game builds. Looks like they made a first person shooter, then got bored and started having fun with physics and make blocks appear.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

I think it's awesome until you hit the same wall that many puzzle games throw you against: your mind can't quite comprehend exactly what you need to do and you don't want to look it up on the internet somewhere, so you wander around for an hour or two trying to backtrack everything you've done just to see what you missed. The problem is that since the game fucks with your head so much, it's quite difficult to really keep track of everything you did when backtracking.

Nonetheless, it's a novel idea and I love the look and sound design.

elhav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The level design is absolutely masterful, but the atmosphere is really frightening, to be honest. It's genius, but god how it's messing with your brain.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

Am I the only person who wound up not liking this game very much? I love when a puzzle game doesn't hold your hand, but I also ran into the problem of just not having enough feedback about what I was doing wrong. Some of the solutions were just obtuse, and bashing my head against a wall with no info about how to attack the problem better just really isn't fun for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.