Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Army of Two: The 40th Day

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 12, 2010

For Tyson Rios and Elliot Salem, war is strictly business. After their arrangement with former P.M.C. SCC came to a sudden and bloody end, Rios and Salem work for the only people they still trust - each other. However neither their experience as Army Rangers serving in Mogadishu nor their work with SCC has prepared them for the kind of war they'll face in Shanghai.

Army of Two Reviewed by IGN - 8.5

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

There's a video review up as well.  Got an 8.5:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1059414p1.html

A disaster movie in a game package, Army of Two: The 40th Day capitalizes on its co-op play to deliver an awesome action experience that's incredibly fun to play. Co-op moments feel more natural, and whether you’re playing by yourself or with friends, you’ll enjoy the fast paced action that doesn’t seem to slow down, even when you’re in the middle of a cutscene. The improved Aggro system (thanks to the inclusion of the GPS feature) and expanded weapons customization strengthens the tactics on the battlefield, which are much deeper than the previous title. Even multiplayer reinforces the co-op nature of the game, and its modes will keep you playing for a long time. The morality moments could have posed larger dilemmas and the AI still stumbles at times, but overall, The 40th Day is a great game to blast through.

Basically seems like they improved everything (but not perfectly).  The multiplayer is also apparently pretty fun. That's all I'd like to hear from this game, certainly going to check it out.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#3  Edited By citizenkane

Better than I expect.  I'll add it to my GameFly GameQ.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By demonbear

EA Montreal, for the win!

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By laticsfan

Fucking A, I was hoping this would be decent so I would have an excuse to check out the gun customisation. The multiple masks and the pretty cool sounding co-op in multiplayer top it all off for me, this has become a must buy.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

didn't like the cover system in the demo..it didn't feel as good as the first game but that might be because I have played so much gears and other third person shooters where you have to press a button to get into cover... it always feels a little strange when it automatically snaps to it. The shooting was waaaaaaaay better though and I'm pretty  excited to play through this with my friend in splitscreen. 

I thought the first game was hugely flawed but a bunch of fun in co-op
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

I feel like I'm the only one stoked for this game. There's something about the "bro-ness" I find appealing.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By spaceturtle

Oh, I've been looking forward to this game. Remember playing the last one with me buds. It's freaking entertainment! I do hope they have straighten out the issues that the first one sufferd with in multiplayer thou. I am of course thinking of the lame ass servers in the first one. Took me 20 minutes to get into a match with a good connection. Also, in the multiplayer in the first game, if one player dropped out of the game, the whole match just stopped. Which was hopless concidering the servers and all. Never the less, think this is a buy for me.

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aounslaught

Isn't Nolan North voicing one of the dudes? If so, then has North ever steered us wrong?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Snail

I played the preview version of the game with a friend. I have to say, the first levels were a great amount of fun, the game deserves that score if only for it's great multiplayer.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Trilogy
    @h83r said:
    " Isn't Nolan North voicing one of the dudes? If so, then has North ever steered us wrong? "
    Nolan North has to be wiping his ass with paper money at this point. That guy gets a ridiculous amount of work.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@EpicSteve said:
    " I feel like I'm the only one stoked for this game. There's something about the "bro-ness" I find appealing. "
    `Make that 2, I really want to play this
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Zereta

And I've now made the choice to get this instead of Bayonetta... 

Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that like an old Gamespot 8.5? About 2 out of 5 stars?

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Well the demo was clunky as hell... so I'm guessing the full game better represents itself.

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@h83r said:
    " Isn't Nolan North voicing one of the dudes? If so, then has North ever steered us wrong? "
    Dark Void.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pause422

After playing the demo there isn't a single positive thing I can say about this game. I honestly expected it to bomb in reviews. Not that I take IGN's reviews serious in the first place, though.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @h83r said:
    I find his work to be very flat.  He's got a good voice, but it's exactly the same in every single game he's in.  He's quickly becoming the new Cam Clarke.
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WinterSnowblind said:

" @h83r said:

I find his work to be very flat.  He's got a good voice, but it's exactly the same in every single game he's in.  He's quickly becoming the new Cam Clarke. "
    To me he is awesome in Uncharted 2, one of the best voiced characters in video games, but in every other game he sounds pretty much the same but less animated.   It's like the thinking is"this is my only voice, but it can't sound like Nathan Drake" so he just has this flat delivery to all his lines.  Shadow Complex sounded so much like that to me and Dark Void does as well from what I've seen of that game.  

He's going to be playing all the everyman type characters from now on though apparently, so we better learn to love him...
    Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aounslaught
    @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    " @h83r said:
    Dark Void. "
    That wasn't his fault. The void was mad dark. Nolan North is only a man, dammit! 

@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:

" @h83r said:

I find his work to be very flat.  He's got a good voice, but it's exactly the same in every single game he's in.  He's quickly becoming the new Cam Clarke. "
    To me he is awesome in Uncharted 2, one of the best voiced characters in video games, but in every other game he sounds pretty much the same but less animated.   It's like the thinking is"this is my only voice, but it can't sound like Nathan Drake" so he just has this flat delivery to all his lines.  Shadow Complex sounded so much like that to me and Dark Void does as well from what I've seen of that game.    He's going to be playing all the everyman type characters from now on though apparently, so we better learn to love him... "
    I actually agree with this. He's amazing in Uncharted, and throughout last year, it was amusing to see him pop up in every game imaginable. Though, it's getting a bit, "overwhelming" to hear him coming out of everything. Not that he's bad at what he does. 
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheFreeMan

I played the demo and I liked what I saw, even though I had some complaints. I'll probably just end up renting it and having a lot of fun before I take it back (split-screen Co-op, hell yes!).

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

" It's like the thinking is"this is my only voice, but it can't sound like Nathan Drake" so he just has this flat delivery to all his lines. "

Ever played Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time? He plays Seymour, the robot. I had no fucking idea until I've checked the credits. It's not his fault, it's the developers - they're probably phoning him to ask if he could play Drake in their game. It's the same with Robin Atkin Downes, "sir, could you play for us a troubled character with a strong voice fitting for a leader?", bam, then he plays a Scottish ogre in Brutal Legend.

Digressions apart, the Army of Two demo didn't let me check out the game in any other mode than co-op, so I am not interested. I won't buy a cat in bag.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ghostiet said:

" @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

" It's like the thinking is"this is my only voice, but it can't sound like Nathan Drake" so he just has this flat delivery to all his lines. "

Ever played Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time? He plays Seymour, the robot. I had no fucking idea until I've checked the credits. It's not his fault, it's the developers - they're probably phoning him to ask if he could play Drake in their game.

"
    I don't disagree, it's on the companies, especially when they so clearly cast him in similar "everyman" roles (Shadow Complex and Dark Void specifically).  Find someone else to be your characters.

@Ghostiet said:

Digressions apart, the Army of Two demo didn't let me check out the game in any other mode than co-op, so I am not interested. I won't buy a cat in bag.

"
    Yeah that was stupid for a demo.  But the full game is not that way and early reviews are saying the partner AI is much better than in the previous game if you're going solo.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By captain_clayman

i played the demo

and let me say:

I FUCKING HATE VERTICAL SPLITSCREEN

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VWGTI

It'll be interesting to see what other sites and magazines say about this game. I'm thinking that Army of Two 2 will be a love/hate kinda game. I played the demo last night with a friend over Live and I didn't like it at all. The game feels a little sloppy.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shirogane

This game looks like it could be quite awesome...cept i got no bros to bro out with... 
    Which seems to be the whole point of the game. 

Sad me =(
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By septim

Rental.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By applet0n

I love co-op, but not enough to buy this. I'll probably just play it at a friend's and borrow it afterward for the achievements.

EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 46

#29  Edited By EpicBenjamin

Two days until it is released here in Norway. I'm seriously flipping out about it, can't wait to play it.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few more reviews up on metacritic now if anyone is interested

Play Magazine - 9.5

The feature-rich, action-packed gameplay—co-op and solo—is a blast, but it’s the explosive presentation, that literally sees Shanghai falling to flaming pieces all around you, that steals the show and will have you watching your—and your buddy’s—back.

GameFocus - 9.0

Let’s applaud the development team over at EA Montréal. They’ve made many changes and added new things to please fans as well as the non-believers without destroying the essence of what makes an Army of Two game. Still, the game could do some things better, but, so long as improvements are being made, the Army of Two franchise will be around for another go. 

VideoGamer - 7

A solid, entertaining third-person shooter, best played with a friend, but it's not quite the big advancement over the original it could have been. It's a more cohesive game, thanks to its location and more believable main characters, but the AI still disappoints at times and the new morality system misses far more than it hits. It's also incredibly short, and without a top-tier multiplayer component to turn to, your fun will likely be over very quickly.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By zombie2011

fist bump, followed by a high five.

dyslekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dyslekt

MONEY HAT!!! 

Just kidding. Good for them, im waiting for the quick look like always :)

LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LincoIn
    GameInformer - 6.5/10, 6.25/10

With so many great co-op experiences available to gamers, it’s tough to recommend The 40th Day. Lacking a cohesive story, solid controls, key multiplayer features, and polish, this sequel fails to close the gap of mediocrity running through its core game design. 

I've noticed GI's gotten a little harsher since their magazine redesign, heck they gave Silent Hill Shattered Memories a 6.25/10!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.