Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Game » consists of 32 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

The sixth main installment of the Assassin's Creed franchise, set in the Caribbean during the age of piracy in the early 18th century. Players explore the memories of Edward Kenway, a charismatic pirate (turned reckless Assassin) and the grandfather of Connor Kenway, the protagonist of Assassin's Creed III.

How do you think AC:IV handled the depiction of slavery?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Poll How do you think AC:IV handled the depiction of slavery? (16 votes)

Good, about as well as many of the best games on the subject...if there are any? Well , it was good all the same. 25%
    Fair, I think they should have been more graphic, I woudl have liked it to be more realistic 6%
    Poor, I think it was too 'in your face' 0%
    Say, what? No, the game was poor because it was not ENOUGH in your face 0%
    Should a game even try to depict slavery? These big subject games never work...it is interactive...that's creepy. 6%
    The game was weak on the subject, but I hear the DLC gets more into it from Adéwalé’s perspective 13%
    Wait...there was slavery depicted in the game? I didn't notice... 50%
    I don't know what to think...I'll wait for Key & Peele to do a skit about it. 0%
     • 
    monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I for one think the game sort of soft sells slavery. Few of the slaves are shown as characters, when you interact with them on sugar plantations that just pray a lot, run away, or very quietly cheer you. But, I do think the new Adéwalé’s DLC will helpful if you do think they did a very soft gloss on the subject. The story line of that DLC is all about slavery, and you play as Adéwalé’ for most or all of it...or so it appears. I think that was a better choice than Kenway since, a former slave-turned pirate avoids that 'white savior' implication for the story.

In the end, I'm not mad or happy about the way slavery was handled in the main game, I can see the pros and cons of directly dealing with the subject or not. If you make it a focus, the game becomes just scary, which is weird to say about a game where you stab people in the throat a million times. But, I think any story about slavery needs to be well done; the world has done enough poor/half-ass attempts, so I hope the focus of the above DLC does a good story.

Let's attempt to keep this discussion civil. I know that is what we all want, so let's at least try to listen as well as we talk. I'd like to know what people think.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

It has basically nothing to do with the plot of the game outside of the Aveline extra content, play the DLC and then talk about it if you like. Adewale is a nice character but as far as the game goes his background doesn't really have much of an impact on it. The most progressive character is the main antagonist.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.