Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed II

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

The second installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise follows the life of Ezio Auditore da Firenze as he seeks revenge on those who betrayed his family.

Assassins Creed 2, and its drug-like properties

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Edited By JJWeatherman

As stated in a previous status update by yours truly: "I have an addiction... to Assassins Creed 2".

Badassery at it's finest
     Badassery at it's finest
    Very few games manage to get me to actually want to collect every last hidden collectible--whatever they may be--in a game. Assassins Creed 2 really is one of those games. There have actually been three games this year that have done this to me. The first being Resident Evil 5. I was completely obsessed with upgrading every weapon and getting infinite ammo for every gun that I actually use. I played that game non-stop. Then came Shadow Complex which awakened this urge in me yet again to collect every single thing possible. Of course this is a situation that is a lot easier to find your self in when it comes to Shadow Complex. Basically because every item is listed with a question mark before you find it, so you really can't unintentionally miss anything. So I thought that two games that brought out this OCD-type nature in me was already a lot for the year. Then I played Assassins Creed 2.

Right off the bat I wasn't expecting to be pulled into this game the same way I was with Resident Evil 5 and Shadow Complex. If anyone doesn't know, you start off the game as more or less a regular guy. It takes a little bit before you get to truly become an assassin. So I was kinda just expecting the same types of things that you could collect in the original Assassins Creed. A few flags around the city or something similar was all I was really expecting as far as collectibles go. Man was I surprised when I found out that not only were there feathers--that basically have taken the place of flags--but also an entire myriad of other much cooler and interesting things to collect.

With each new kind of collectible item that was introduced, I had somewhat mixed feelings at first. I initially thought collecting all these different things sounded really interesting in what could possibly come out of them, but it seemed like an impossible chore to actually go out and find everything. After putting a considerable number of hours into the game, I can indeed confirm that it is in fact a chore, but is somehow done in the best possible way. I'm constantly finding myself purposely avoiding story missions in order to collect everything I can as soon as possible. I think it's a sickness. From what I can tell, I think Vinny has this sickness as well.   :P

One of many glyphs
     One of many glyphs
    Anyways, I don't want to go on too long about stupid collectibles. But there is one specific "collectible" that is peticularly interesting though. I think most people know about it, but it's basically a series of like twenty or so glyphs on certain notable structures throughout the game. These really have me hooked on finding them at the moment. I have diverted all resources lately in the game to finding these so that I can hopefully make some sense of the video fragments you eventually recieve after finding them. The puzzles you are forced to do before you get the videos are pretty awesome so far as well. They are pretty clever and usually contain some incredibly interesting--although mostly fictional--information about historical things like the assassination of JFK for example.

So, yep. I felt like telling the world about my obsession with Assassins Creed 2 and more specifically the collection aspect of it. It's a great bunch of additions to the overall story line that I hope will pay off in a big way once I start to complete some of the collections. How bad do you fellow Giant Bomb community members have this OCD nature to collect everything possible in certain games? All I know is, I have the fever, and the only prescription... is more Assassin's Creed 2! (In addition to cowbell of course)

And now, what has become my favorite sign off:

Peace out ya jive turkeys!
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

As stated in a previous status update by yours truly: "I have an addiction... to Assassins Creed 2".

Badassery at it's finest
     Badassery at it's finest
    Very few games manage to get me to actually want to collect every last hidden collectible--whatever they may be--in a game. Assassins Creed 2 really is one of those games. There have actually been three games this year that have done this to me. The first being Resident Evil 5. I was completely obsessed with upgrading every weapon and getting infinite ammo for every gun that I actually use. I played that game non-stop. Then came Shadow Complex which awakened this urge in me yet again to collect every single thing possible. Of course this is a situation that is a lot easier to find your self in when it comes to Shadow Complex. Basically because every item is listed with a question mark before you find it, so you really can't unintentionally miss anything. So I thought that two games that brought out this OCD-type nature in me was already a lot for the year. Then I played Assassins Creed 2.

Right off the bat I wasn't expecting to be pulled into this game the same way I was with Resident Evil 5 and Shadow Complex. If anyone doesn't know, you start off the game as more or less a regular guy. It takes a little bit before you get to truly become an assassin. So I was kinda just expecting the same types of things that you could collect in the original Assassins Creed. A few flags around the city or something similar was all I was really expecting as far as collectibles go. Man was I surprised when I found out that not only were there feathers--that basically have taken the place of flags--but also an entire myriad of other much cooler and interesting things to collect.

With each new kind of collectible item that was introduced, I had somewhat mixed feelings at first. I initially thought collecting all these different things sounded really interesting in what could possibly come out of them, but it seemed like an impossible chore to actually go out and find everything. After putting a considerable number of hours into the game, I can indeed confirm that it is in fact a chore, but is somehow done in the best possible way. I'm constantly finding myself purposely avoiding story missions in order to collect everything I can as soon as possible. I think it's a sickness. From what I can tell, I think Vinny has this sickness as well.   :P

One of many glyphs
     One of many glyphs
    Anyways, I don't want to go on too long about stupid collectibles. But there is one specific "collectible" that is peticularly interesting though. I think most people know about it, but it's basically a series of like twenty or so glyphs on certain notable structures throughout the game. These really have me hooked on finding them at the moment. I have diverted all resources lately in the game to finding these so that I can hopefully make some sense of the video fragments you eventually recieve after finding them. The puzzles you are forced to do before you get the videos are pretty awesome so far as well. They are pretty clever and usually contain some incredibly interesting--although mostly fictional--information about historical things like the assassination of JFK for example.

So, yep. I felt like telling the world about my obsession with Assassins Creed 2 and more specifically the collection aspect of it. It's a great bunch of additions to the overall story line that I hope will pay off in a big way once I start to complete some of the collections. How bad do you fellow Giant Bomb community members have this OCD nature to collect everything possible in certain games? All I know is, I have the fever, and the only prescription... is more Assassin's Creed 2! (In addition to cowbell of course)

And now, what has become my favorite sign off:

Peace out ya jive turkeys!
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By danielkempster

Great blog, JJ. I can definitely understand where you're coming from with this. I'm currently going through more or less the same thing with Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on PSP. Usually when I pick up a new GTA, I have to plough through the story missions before I truly begin exploring the side content, but with Chinatown Wars I've been deliberately avoiding story progression in favour of wandering around Liberty City, looking for security cameras to deface and random characters to meet. Maybe it's because the story is pretty weak, but I'm more inclined to believe that it has something to do with Chinatown Wars' sublime minigames, and in particular the drug-dealing/stealing aspects of the gameplay. As for Assassin's Creed 2, it looks pretty interesting to me, but I haven't played the first and don't really have the cash to shell out for a new release right now. Maybe in a year or so, when the price comes down, I'll pick it up, along with the original Assassin's Creed. They seem like the kind of games I'd enjoy.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Claude

Yeah, I've got the same problem. I'm over 30 hours in and still going. If it's on the map, it must disappear. I'm about to go on a glyph binge myself. I've gotten 10 by just playing the game and just happened upon them, but it's time to get serious now.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By applet0n

i haven't even finished the game yet, and i already have been putting aside the story to find all the glyphs, codexs and treasure chests, even though i already have more than enough money from my villa :P

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @dankempster said:
    " Great blog, JJ. I can definitely understand where you're coming from with this. I'm currently going through more or less the same thing with Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on PSP. Usually when I pick up a new GTA, I have to plough through the story missions before I truly begin exploring the side content, but with Chinatown Wars I've been deliberately avoiding story progression in favour of wandering around Liberty City, looking for security cameras to deface and random characters to meet. Maybe it's because the story is pretty weak, but I'm more inclined to believe that it has something to do with Chinatown Wars' sublime minigames, and in particular the drug-dealing/stealing aspects of the gameplay. As for Assassin's Creed 2, it looks pretty interesting to me, but I haven't played the first and don't really have the cash to shell out for a new release right now. Maybe in a year or so, when the price comes down, I'll pick it up, along with the original Assassin's Creed. They seem like the kind of games I'd enjoy. "
    Thanks. Also, you just reminded me that I never finished Chinatown Wars. I got probably 20-25 minutes into it and forgot about it due to other games. I can't believe I still haven't gotten back to playing it again.

@Claude said:
    " Yeah, I've got the same problem. I'm over 30 hours in and still going. If it's on the map, it must disappear. I'm about to go on a glyph binge myself. I've gotten 10 by just playing the game and just happened upon them, but it's time to get serious now. "

I have actually just recently started to do more of the side quests. Before, I was mainly concerned with the blips on the map that I could collect like chests and things, and pretty much completely overlooked the small side quests. It came to a point though where my map was so full of those side missions that I finally noticed that I should maybe start doing them at some point. Now I also feel like I have to clear the map.    :P

@applet0n said:
    " i haven't even finished the game yet, and i already have been putting aside the story to find all the glyphs, codexs and treasure chests, even though i already have more than enough money from my villa :P "

Yeah, I'm actually not sure what to spend my money on at this point. I have over 70,000 gold or whatever, and counting. I really don't have many opportunities to use it.    : (
    applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By applet0n
    @JJWeatherman: just try throwing money on the floors and by spending money on courtesans, you get achievements/trophies for both
    moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By moelarrycurly

Assassin's Creed II was awesome.  However, I completed the game in less than 30 hours, which was disappointing considering how many collectibles there seemed to be.  Having another platinum trophy is definitely nice though.

composite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By composite

I found AC II at Walmart for $40 a few days after Christmas. I finished everything, the main story, the truth, all treasure, EVERYTHING, 2 days ago. I skipped new year's to finish this game. I have 40 feathers to find and 2 statuettes, and I'm missing some paintings some how. 47 out of 50 Achievements. AC II destroyed my life in a way only old school games used to, and I love it for that. It felt like it would never end, but when I did the last assassination contract mission in Venice, I wanted  still wanted more. 

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By CharleyTony

I S-ranked that game in about 25 hours which I played in about aweek. That game really got to me and I really wanted to get the answers and see the ending. What made me really love this game is that it did give you some answers at the end. 
    It's pretty crazy but it is way better that the ending to the 1st game.  

Kinda like whatching LOST in the first 2 or 3 seasons. It will only piss you off when you finish a season and still don't know WTF is going on ! 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.