Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Franchise »

The Assassin's Creed franchise follows the never-ending, secret war between the Assassin Brotherhood and the Templar Order, in various historical settings, told from the perspective of the modern day.

Should future Assassin's Creed games encourage and reward Stealth or is fine being an Action Adventure franchise?

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should future Assassin's Creed games encourage and reward Stealth or is fine being an Action Adventure franchise? (42 votes)

Yes, more stealth gameplay 48%
    No, it's fine the way it is 17%
    Just end the franchise altogether 36%

The lack of stealth in Assassin's Creed games has always struck me as strange. There were a few stealth segments in the first game, notably in the assassination of William of Montferrat. In this segment it was possible to evade guards entirely before assassinating Montferrat before the inevitable chase across town began.

I was disappointed by the removal of any semblance of stealth in the second game. Every assassination would typically end up in a set piece where you fight off tens of guards at once and it just didn't seem in character to go Medieval Rambo on everyone. i haven't played any other AC games so I can't say for sure if stealth is rewarded or not but from what I gather in Let's Play and Walkthroughs is that it is not.

Is there anyone who would prefer to play an AC game where playing stealthily is rewarded?

• 
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It is weird. I noticed it the most in AC3. There is barely any stealth and what is there feels clunky compared to games like Batman Arkham Asylum and Mark of the Ninja. They need to do something to mix it up because as it stand both stealth and group combat are bad in that series.

One I felt did stealth best and 2 was better than 3 for it.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

I need more stealth. I was seriously disappointed in AC3 basically pushing the player into open combat. I got my fill of sneaking around in Dishonored though - I'd hope they push in that direction more.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Um. I voted yes, and I don't want the franchise to end. ~ I kinda think that, if you wanna play a stealth game, then maybe you should just play Thief. I'm more annoyed that Thief IV hasn't got announced by now, and yo, its probably gonna be a bit more action oriented like Assassin's and Deus Ex is.

I just left wondering: what new gameplay is next-gen gonna bring? ~ I think this is sort of unfair to think that next-gen graphics and stuff, can bring anything new. But, I mean: I can imagine a VERY stealthy game being made, because its next-gen. I.e. A whole bunch of mist on the screen, the gameplay based on noise you hear in the headset, or now the controller?

I don't know. I like Assasins', so.. Whatever, I'll happily welcome stealth.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Zirilius

I'd like more stealth in those games but unless they fix the AI's detection then I'm fine the way it is. The worst levels in the last few games have been the stealth levels. They are tedious, take too long, and the AI spots the character too easily.

I remember plenty of levels being on a rooftop following some guy I'm supposed to tail and then all of a sudden he turns around and was instantly spotted even though the guards on the rooftop on the building next to me don't even detect me.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trying to reach the ship at the docks of Venice and killing the important dude on it without being detected was one of the hardest and most memorable Assassin's Creed moments for me (AC2).

They should get back to that shit, with better AI, and less action and fucking cutscenes!

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The stealth has been pretty bad throughout the series. It was ok in the first ac but became essentially nonexistent in the rest of the games. And when its in there, its always pretty bad. I think i'd rather they just end the series. It just feels like their milking it at this point.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius said:

I'd like more stealth in those games but unless they fix the AI's detection then I'm fine the way it is. The worst levels in the last few games have been the stealth levels. They are tedious, take too long, and the AI spots the character too easily.

I remember plenty of levels being on a rooftop following some guy I'm supposed to tail and then all of a sudden he turns around and was instantly spotted even though the guards on the rooftop on the building next to me don't even detect me.

I noticed that in AC2. Especially in the 'Tomb Raiding' levels. Guard placement and patrol routes were never conducive to stealth gameplay since it's just easier to counter-attack a horde to oblivion. I don't need easy stealth segments but it was frustrating how the game never rewarded you for stealth. There was this annoying Tomb level in which a guard always notices you, and then you have to run after him and then he alerts an entire guard room. WTF, did I play stealthily for?

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tangoup said:

@zirilius said:

I noticed that in AC2. Especially in the 'Tomb Raiding' levels. Guard placement and patrol routes were never conducive to stealth gameplay since it's just easier to counter-attack a horde to oblivion. I don't need easy stealth segments but it was frustrating how the game never rewarded you for stealth. There was this annoying Tomb level in which a guard always notices you, and then you have to run after him and then he alerts an entire guard room. WTF, did I play stealthily for?

And then there are those segments as well. God I hated that level. I restarted it at least 5 or 6 times cause I thought I was doing something wrong.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

They were on to something in the first game, and then promptly abandoned it in future installments. It's one of the reasons I've only played the first AC, so I would prefer a return to form.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

There's always been the option for stealth, the first game is the main exception here as it forces you to fight dozens of guards near the end. If you're asking if I want a shitty 90s stealth game where you die in 2 seconds and it's a laborious process of trial and error; then fuck no. Velvet Assassin can be gotten for cheap if that's your thing, and it is an atmospheric game if nothing else.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The stealth in Assassin's Creed has always been terrible, and the parts of those games where you can't be detected are the worst parts. I feel like they'd have to be different games to have any sort of worthwhile stealth mechanics. Then again, maybe different experiences are what people want out of this series at this point?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More, and most importantly, better stealth. You are an assassin after all. And I would like the game to not be a cakewalk. And less handholdy too. How about less buggy?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I love for it to go more stealth. When it comes down to it though I'd just rather they were harder. You know, the other direction they could've gone after Assassin's Creed 1.

If the ever do make one with modern guns I imagine stealth would become a huge part of it. Unless everyone just uses fucking batons or whatever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love more stealth, but I also think that playing as a Hitman-esque Silent Assassin is a thing best left to the full-sync mission requirements.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just end the franchise.

And it's "fine" being an action adventure if it goes on, even if I like stealth games. And I also don't think games need to "reward" players for playing stealthy, the payoff should be the satisfaction of perfectly executing your mission.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.