Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Austin Walker

Person » credited in 2 games

Host of Waypoint Radio & Friends at the Table, former Editor-in-Chief of Waypoint, former editor at Giant Bomb, PhD Candidate in Media Studies at the University of Western Ontario. Austin Walker writes about games, culture, and relationships between play and labor.

Austin Walker Appreciation Thread

austin_walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I already said this on Twitter everyone, but this thread really means the world to me.

Giant Bomb is a community driven site, and that doesn't just mean that you all really love our content. It also means that what we do here has a special place in your lives. I know this because I was a fan of the site before I worked here, and because the high highs and low lows of the site felt personal to me in a way that often surprised me.

I was very conscious of this when I started here, and I think like anyone else would be, I was a little nervous about fitting in, or scaring people off with my brand of criticism, or seeming too eager (or not eager enough). But after the early response was so positive, I let all of those concerns slip away (at least a little bit) and fell into my natural self (or at least as "natural" a self as is ever possible). And then the response was even more positive, and, now, this thread.

Being part of Giant Bomb is a joy and an opportunity. You all let us into your lives in a comparably intimate way, and that means that we have the chance to develop a rapport over time, learn jokes, and engage in ongoing conversations about games, culture, the industry, and yes, giant robots. But this intimacy is also--weirdly enough--a responsibility. But it's a responsibility I'm excited to have. My hope is to be entertaining, insightful, funny, and challenging in all the ways that Giant Bomb has always been, but also in new, exciting ways too. And the love and support this community has shown me so far makes me confident that I can do that.

So yeah, basically: Thanks.

familyguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By familyguy1

No, thank you Austin! <3

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I only have one question for you Austin... When can we expect a GBeast Quick Look of In Tune?

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@austin_walker: I'm so happy that you're able to be yourself around and off of the site, because as you said, it's the personalities that keep us coming back.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Austin really was a tremendous, left-field, "I never knew this was what I wanted the most" choice for a hire. I'm eager to see our resident Game Doctor fill some prescriptions!

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

@austin_walker: Thanks for your awesome work! :D Your writing is stellar, your contributions are thought-provoking and you're just so darn nice! You're the perfect addition to the Beast. Keep on being wonderful! :D

haychew21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just started following Austin on Twitter yesterday. Reading through an interesting thread of replies to and from him on the subject of language and offense, I came to a tweet of Austin's that said "Here's my response to (Chris) Hitchens..."

Just those five words might have made him my new favorite bomber. I know it's a little late, but welcome aboard, duder. I can't wait to see what you do.

gizmo88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By gizmo88

@whatisdelicious said:

I know we're in the throes of E3, but I just wanted to take a minute to say that I'm super impressed by @austin_walker so far. He's only been here a few weeks, but he fits into the group dynamic so naturally that he feels like he's always been there. There was no awkward period at all. He's really funny on the Beastcast, has great comedic timing, and he's been killing it on the news side; seriously, just doing simple stuff like getting follow-up quotes and quick interviews has done wonders to make his news stories fantastic.

And holy crap, guys, did you read his "Why We Write" piece? Because if you haven't, you need to. This is my favorite passage from it:

I write about all of these things because...

Well, because besides wanting to engage with my readers and help them work through their own opinions, besides hoping to “influence” game makers with my critique, there is a rumbling something, an emotional drive that fuels my desire to write. I write because I cannot but write. Because when I wake up and see that someone asked me what I thought about game X, the cogs start moving all on their own. Pieces like this one drill themselves itself into my head, dragging themselves into existence through broad ideas and little phrases. I write not (only) because I want to change the world, but because I am compelled to get words on the page.

That's a really---dare I say it---inspirational quote for me personally, and it's written impeccably. Austin has already proven himself to be intelligent, thoughtful and extremely personable, and I'm elated that he's a part of Giant Bomb.

I thought that article was a bit self aggrandizing. He's clearly a good dude, just sometimes it's good to realize you cover video games. Have fun and lighten up a bit.

rabincrabmink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MrHammeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome aboard mate. They made a good choice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

As a fan of Patrick I got to say that Austin just blows him out of the water.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Of all the things I like about Austin, him nonchalantly ethering Dan on Twitter may be my favorite.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: serious. I saw that latest one and my jaw dropped. Bodied.

BrianP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

Of all the things I like about Austin, him nonchalantly ethering Dan on Twitter may be my favorite.

That Brock Lesnar takedown was some COLD shit

WelshCleats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#115  Edited By WelshCleats

:( :( :(

This thread was started pretty much exactly one year ago.

Best of luck, Austin! It was great having you around these parts.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Going to be making video games?

Whatever it is, good luck to you sir.

bumbai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the best Duder. Keep being Awesome

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Holy shit this thread is from exactly a year ago.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I am so bummed out, and it's totally selfish because he's onto bigger and better things but he was such a perfect 3rd chair for GBeast and GB in general!

weapongod30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, what? I wasn't able to watch most of tonight's stream live. Austin is leaving? :( Where? When?

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By ToySoldier83
    Loading Video...

marblecmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#122  Edited By marblecmoney

Giant Bomb is a community driven site, and that doesn't just mean that you all really love our content. It also means that what we do here has a special place in your lives. I know this because I was a fan of the site before I worked here, and because the high highs and low lows of the site felt personal to me in a way that often surprised me.

This seems very relevant to me right now.

Best of luck, Austin! I'm sure whatever you're going to do next is super cool. Thanks for everything you've done on the site.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Zeik

I was really happy that they finally hired someone on the staff that was into the side of games and nerd fandom that was largely ignored by the rest of the crew, like anime and JRPGs and obtuse strategy games, yet managed to fit in with everyone so perfectly at the same time. I'm sure Giant Bomb will continue to be great and you will go on to do great things yourself, but they may never find someone that brings what you did to the site again. That makes me sad, but I'm still glad you were here when you were. I don't think anyone would argue that you were pivotal in Giant Bomb East becoming the success that it has.

Good luck with your future endeavors and come back talk about anime and mechs whenever you want. (It would also make me super happy if you could coincidentally find your way onto the Beastcast when Persona 5 comes out. *nudge nudge*)

squiggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By squiggle

Really gutted you're going, Austin. Your voice added something different to Giant Bomb, and I will miss your very insightful analyses of games and gaming culture. Good luck, dude.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Probably said this elsewhere in the thread, but Austin's super dope.

Just grew to love his presence more and more as the year went on. A fantastic, intelligent dude with (presumably) a bright future ahead of him. Never got the feeling that he'd be here long term, being a video game doctor and all. But the time he spent here was great, and his chemistry with Vinny and Alex was endlessly entertaining.

Go do your thing, man.

thewalkingdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna really miss Austin and everything he brought but I'm sure he'll kick ass at whatever he does next.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Love ya Austin! Gonna miss ya buddy!

No Caption Provided
    section09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@austin_walker: We love you Austin and whatever you're doing next you can be sure a great many of us are excited about it.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just like the Ryan thread, I don't think I can read this thread again without crying. Fuck, why didn't I write in this thread the first time I read it (or in any time since). I feel so bad now...

AroNoah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Thank you so much for providing a unique voice on the site Austin you will missed, much love brother.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like i said in the last thread. It's been too short! Don't go! I've love what you've added!

unshaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aw, man. I have absolutely loved what Austin brought to the site. His voice is such a great addition to this crew. But it's totally clear he's going to be doing awesome things. Can't wait to see what's next both for him and the site.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He will be missed. Austin is a rad ass dude.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#134 rmanthorp  Moderator
    Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't get it....he's been here for just a year.... He fits in so well, is such a nice guy....now how is Gbeast going to play the eventual Contradiction sequel, Austin? :{

Really really disappointed in this. God, you were IT Austin, you were IT! We found you! The perfect addition to Giantbomb. Sigh...good luck, pal.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I missed all of day 3 today and I JUST found out, pretty damn bummed out about all this. It's only been a year since he joined but it felt like he has always been here, his interplay with Vinny and Alex and everyone else was just so damn good.

You'll leave a huge gap with your exit Austin and I'll miss your passion. You're a great dude and I look forward to seeing what your next project is. Keep being awesome Austin!!

MisterEyeballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feel like I've seen this day coming since Austin joined the crew. He's always fit in so well, but he always seemed destined for bigger and better things (or at least different things). It's a really bittersweet thing. I can honestly say I didn't love Austin at first. He challenged me in how I think about games and...everything. He's taught me a lot, and it wasn't long before I came to love him like everyone else in the crew. Whatever's next for Austin and for Giant Bomb, I'm proud to have been here for this chapter of their lives. I can't wait to see what's next for both of them.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Austin's a good duder. Sad to see him go. Best of luck!

Cryeffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Cryeffect

Austin you have been a fantastic addition to the GB crew and I am genuinely sad to see you go. I'm sure whatever you end up doing next will a success. Wish you all the best. You will be missed Dr Walker.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Austin's insight has given me new perspectives on video games. Thank you, Austin.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me sad. I wish him the best, but he will be missed.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I missed something I think. Where was it said he is leaving? Can't seem to find a news post about it?

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Joe423

The chemistry between Austin, Alex and Vinny was wonderful to watch. Thankfully it seems like we'll get one more livestream before Austin rides off into the sunset based on what they were saying.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By MOAB
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@zevvion said:

I missed something I think. Where was it said he is leaving? Can't seem to find a news post about it?

I'm assuming it was announced live during the podcast. There doesn't seem to be a post about it yet. It also seems that he's not ready to explain where he's going, just yet.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Austin very quickly became one of my favorite members of the site. I'm both really sad to see him go, and excited for whatever is next for him. Especially if it's enough to get him to leave Giant Bomb!

Good luck, Austin. <3

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is a bummer. GBeast was just really getting good and Austin's enthusiasm and insight was a big part of that, it had its own voice away from Giantbomb but complimentary in many ways.

I feel like this might really kill Gbeast momentum, I also think Austin will be incredibly hard to replace. This is a bummer for us and the site.

Probably great news for him though.

Jackdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Austin made GBeast the greatest. I know you're not dying or anything but I'm definitely going to miss your voice on the site every week.

All the best from Sydney, Australia Dude. :D

Radish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really gonna miss you dude. There's going to be a hole there that will be hard to fill. Really enjoyed your takes about not only videogames and but also other life and important stuff. I hope you are going on to great things but I'm still selfishly bummed you won't be on the BeastCast to entertain me anymore.

Please come back occasionally to get Alex and Jeff to RP some more (and give Vinny an excuse to do it in public).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.