Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 21, 2000

Take hold of your destiny as you journey across mysterious lands, encounter many magical creatures and meet many memorable characters in a large fantasy world.

Party selection Advice?

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Hexpane

I am doing the Helm Temple so I just picked up the Mage/Cleric
    My main toon is human fighter, 2 weapon style focus

I have
    Ae the cleric/fighter
    Nailia?  the mage/thief
    Bounty Hunter dude
    Minsc - range
    The cleric/druid
    and now the new mage/cleri

Obviously I had to pic one to dump so I booted Minsc .  I had him set to either 2handed sword or bow.  Then again the bounter hunter seems kind of worthless in battle.

I was going to dual class but his only option is Fighter/BH?  I kept Bounty for the Katana skill.

Is 3 mage dual classes too many?  Is the BH good at anything other than detect traps? I was thinking of holding him for any daggers or katanas I get but now im like...

Should I dump Aenworm asap as the fighter/cleric seems like a really pointless dual class? 

Typically I fight like a MMO, my main fighter tanks, I summon a ton of stuff, then go w/ offensive spells and disable spells.

Many guides suggest archers PWN but do you really need archers .. aka more than 1?

The mage/thief ATM is the most powerful caster in the group, the cleric/druid is the best summoner, the fighter/cleric is the best healer I guess..

What did you guys do/suggest?

My big regret is I dont have a true defensive tank who specializes in sword/shield I picked 2 weapon for more DPS and its too late to go back now

Gylfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gylfi
    @Hexpane:  One solid party if you´re a fighter is: 

You(Duh!) 
    Minsc(frontline fighter, has berserk..be careful with it..things die around it including you) 
    Keldorn(Paladin front line fighter, has an awesome uber dispel that gets rid of enemy spell protections) 
    Viconia(Cleric, healer is evil so be careful with your reputation) 
    Yoshimo(Keep him around for his thief skills, I make him use a bow in combat, sometimes its useful :P) 
    Jaheira(Fighter/Druid gets good healing and protection spells and can hold her own in combat, strap a shield on her and she will be able to stay alive till Minsc comes in or something) 

Now the key with this party is Keldorns dispel, keep the enemy´s spell protections down and bash em with your fighters while your healers keep them up and running, this is not he ultimate party or anything but you shouldnt have much trouble facing your destiny with it ;) 

I dont really like Anomen..he just annoys me but a friend of mine has a hard on for him, I guess you can equip him to be a good npc but I just dont like him 

Archers are really really good, especially the Archer class but alot of dudes are immune to their piercing attacks, Archers meant life in BG1 but you dont need alot of em in BG2 

And im pretty sure kicking Minsc out of your party is a international crime and you should take him back asap 

You dont really need a true uber tank btw keep that AC down with a good armor and equip and your fighters do just fine without a shield 

I hope this fast and timely response helps :D
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Undeadpool

One universal about Baldur's Gate 2: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a thief with your party. The game loves to throw locked doors/chests and traps at you at seemingly random times and some quests are impossible to complete without being able to lockpick. Yoshimo is an excellent thief in this regard, so if your character isn't a thief, keep him around. And Minsc, despite being a ranger, should not be a ranged fighter, I agree with poster above me: keep him in. He's tough and has ridiculously high melee damage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.