Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

Nuts & Bolts takes the platformer series in a wild new direction, as Banjo and Kazooie return to battle Gruntilda using unique, player-customized vehicles.

How do I make a plane that can turn on a dime?

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By insanejedi

I've been trying pretty hard to make a workable design for a plane that can turn very quickly, but all of them seem to result in missing checkpoints a lot.

Do I add more wings? Decrease the length? Decrease weight? What do I do?

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By SolemnOaf

The obvious answer is to decrease weight as much as possible.  Try using the flourescent tubes found from climbing L.O.G.'s tower to connect critical vehicle components, doing that always gives me a chuckle.  Another thing I've learned is that you can use the suck and blows for forward propulsion as if they were jets you could activate, deactivate, and reverse.  Failing that, you can always just build a hoverpack by slapping a seat and some fuel onto a small jet.

I broke my months long posting hiatus to offer you these words of guidance, do not let them be for naught. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Adding more wings has seemed to help me, but that probably increases the weight a bit which is what SolemnOaf said not to do. Personally, I've found that the best way to not miss checkpoints is to just not give the vehicle full throttle. Just focus on little short bursts and slow down enough to make turns. I have no idea what tubes he's talking about. One of the first things I did in the game was climb that tower and I don't recall unlocking any tubes.

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SolemnOaf

you must use the tubeses, it is your only hope. 

But seriously, you didn't see the crate up there that had the Mr. Pants statue and the Flowerpot and the Windshield and stuff?  You might want to go back, none of it's really useful except the flourescents cause they're 3 blocks long and weigh next to nothing. 

Another thing I thought of is you could try using folding propellers to turn your plane into a helicopter for extra mobility whenever you need it.  Don't forget about aerodynamics when building boats or planes, either.  Having a nose or at least a bevelled underside helps.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I have all the other stuff, so I guess I have them. I probably just assumed they were merely cosmetic accessories and didn't bother trying to build with them. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I'm playing it.

Just for the heck of it, I thought I'd mention that I built a pretty sick hang-glider-launching vehicle. I modelled the vehicle after a dragster, so it's totally loaded with engines and power but definitely intended for flat straight runways. Anyway, at the front of the vehicle, I have a detacher gadget connected to only a seat and two folding wings. So anyway, with this thing, I get as much speed as possible, then detach my seat and open my wings and man, that thing travels such far distances without even having an engine. It doesn't serve much of a purpose in missions, but it's fun to just glide around on and works well for moving from mission to mission in levels like Nutty Acres.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Cheapoz

I was hoping that the Gyroscope would fix this problem, but it's too tricky.

Solemn, goodness, I never thought of making a jetpack, so doing that right now.

Also, foldable wings/propellors are your friend. Shoot out the props to go up/down, shoot out the wings to go horizontal. It what I ride in most of the time.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jayge_
    SolemnOaf said:
    "The obvious answer is to decrease weight as much as possible.  Try using the flourescent tubes found from climbing L.O.G.'s tower to connect critical vehicle components, doing that always gives me a chuckle.  Another thing I've learned is that you can use the suck and blows for forward propulsion as if they were jets you could activate, deactivate, and reverse.  Failing that, you can always just build a hoverpack by slapping a seat and some fuel onto a small jet.

I broke my months long posting hiatus to offer you these words of guidance, do not let them be for naught. "
    You last posted in that fighting game review thread. That wasn't months ago.

As for building a plane that turns on a dime, try to balance the weight out with the fore and aft of the rig. If it's necessarily a little tall or short, make it a bi-plane to add more balance. Using a Gyroscope gadget also helps turning a lot. Basically, make it so that the weight is centered on the point of pivoting, and it will turn much easier (in my experience).
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kmdrkul

Power your plane with two Suck'n'Blows.  That cuts out the weight of engines and fuel.  Also is surprisingly efficient.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.