Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Arkham City's final boss versues Arkham Asylum's (Spoilers)

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I think people were almost unanimously disappointed with the end of Arkham Asylum if only because the final boss fight was rather trivial. Joker injecting himself with Titan could have been a fun twist, but what it resulted in was relatively the same enemy you had been fighting for almost the entire game with a few new tricks.

I think for the most part the boss fights in Arkham City were on par with Asylum's best if not a little better. Solomon Grundy was actually kind of terrifying,  they manage to have their hallucination world segement a couple times despite the absence of Scarecrow, they redeem themselves with the Joker fight offering up a really fucking crazy battle ground with tons of goons swarming you, and I think Mister Freeze was probably the highlight with his ability to counter all of Batman's tricks keeping you on your toes and forcing you to quickly come up with new ways to take him down.

What about the final boss though, Clayface? I actually think it was a really good battle that kept throwing new surprises at you, but I can't help but feel as though its a bit anticlimactic. I mean really? Clayface? A B Tier Batman villain that we only learn at the end has been involved in this story at all and he is the final challenge to overcome? I mean yeah you get to cut him up with a fucking ninja sword but it's still a real let down.

Despite Asylum's boss being a bit generic and boring, I can't help but feel as if it really did a much better job of providing closure to it all. I mean Arkham City's ending is basically you fight Clayface and then the Joker dies. No Lazarus pit shennanigans despite it being built up this whole time, absolutely nothing out of Ra's al Ghul who decided it would be a good idea to kill himself even though he was supposedly the big baddy behind this whole thing, and you literally beat Strange by unlocking a fucking door.

I mean the ending itself is fucking great, those last few minutes are god damn incredible but that fucking boss fight I mean,COME ON.

I think this probably stem's back to my bigger problem with Arkham City in that it feels very disjointed and it really feels like they made a lot of design choices in service of making Arkham City a bigger playground rather than making the game better as a whole. A lot of the villain cameo's are just haphazardly thrown in, the story itself is actually rather bare bones, and when you get down to it the whole game doesn't make you feel as isolated or helpless as Arkham Asylum ever did.

Don't get me wrong Batman is certainly an empowering character to play, but at the same time the asylum really did manage to pull off this great sense of being trapped on an island of psychopaths with little to no help from the outside world. In Arkham City you have crates being dropped in everywhere and FUCKING ROBIN basically just coming and going as he pleases. Not only that but Batman has way more allies in the city itself with a whole gang of fucking armed cops pretty much keeping shit locked down for him and fucking chumming up with Mister Freeze even if they do get into a bit of a scuffle which come to think of it was also pretty much completely fucking unjustified.

Also why did Mister Freeze break one of the vials.

Also why did Harley not mention being tied up by a ninja.

Also why did that ninja bitch not just give me the fucking cure in the first place, what the fuck is her problem, man I'm glad that bitch is dead.

Also if Joker wanted to be immortal why did he hold up in a fucking movie theater and wait for Batman to find him.

Also why did Ra's al Ghul fucking try to kill Batman if he is still the only worthy succesor to the fucking demon army or whatever the hell that shit was about.

Come to think of it why did Ra's al Ghul kill himself at all.

And if Protocol 10 is just "shoot all the fucking guys." how do you fucking shut that down with computers.

Man what the fuck video game.

Man maybe at least the Riddler will be cool, guess I'll go find out.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Milkman

I thought the last boss was alright. My favorite boss fight, by far, was Mister Freeze.

As far as your questions go, I think Mister Freeze broke one of the vials because he was pissed about Joker taking his wife so he wanted to make sure that there was only enough for Batman. I guess he could have broken both of them and said fuck you to Joker and Batman. But I guess he was counting on Batman to get his wife back. (I still haven't done that side quest so I don't know how that ends up)

Ra's al Ghul tried to kill Batman because he refused to be his successor and then he killed himself because he knew he was dying anyway so he was trying to take Batman with him.

I guess the computers were giving the orders to the helicopters?

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By peacebrother

The best part of that fight was Batman picking up the sword. I could play as a sword wielding Bats for days.

The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul
    The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

I stopped reading this when I realized you were just constantly saying "fucking" for no reason and I realized it would just annoy me.

But anyway, I liked the last boss more than I liked the last boss in Asylum, for obvious reasons. In Asylum the boss was just basically the same as all the other titans.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By fetchfox

I liked the end boss, but I agree when it comes to being a bit anti-climatic. It was a good fight though, and sick as I am (got the flu), it was a little challenging. But the ending was so incredible that I don't really give a shit. Fun fact: I was about to restart the checkpoint or game since the sound dropped out (or so I thought) . Silly me...

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Alot of those questions are easily answered.  

90% of them all do with the personalty of the villain.  

Freeze did it to show batman he was not messing around and would use the second as a bargaining chip. 

Why would Harley even talk to batman? Also shes a damn idiot 

Because bullets can outrun a sword. Joker easily could have shot her 

Because he loves to taunt batman. He wanted batman to see he became immortal.  

Because Batman said no. No one says no to Raz  

Raz can not really die. As long as he has one of his pits. 

Be aborted the command not shut it down 

Also why are you saying fuck in each sentence? You could easily look them up on comic vine and see more or less what they would do. 

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JammyJesus

The whole "Protocol 10" thing was very anti-climactic, but I'm glad the end had two story lines to go on, and not just that.

The end boss fight was fun, way better than AA. Multi-stage boss fight was awesome.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Andorski

The boss fights in AC were much more varied than in AA and made use of a lot of Batman's gadgets. In general though, most of the fights boiled down to using a gadget to take down the bosses "armor" before wailing on them, all while having to fight a group of thugs on occasion. That's why I thought the fight with Mr. Freeze was the best. You literally had to think of every different way Batman strikes his enemy and use it since Mr. Freeze adapted to the attack methods you used.

From a story perspective, I didn't like the twist with Clayface and Joker. Not leaving any clues for the player to find in the story prior to the reveal made the whole thing feel cheap.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Afroman269

Yo dawg, comics. Give it some slack. They did a pretty good job overall.

@LordXavierBritish: so if Joker wanted to be immortal why did he hold up in a fucking movie theater and wait for Batman to find him.
    Also why did Ra's al Ghul fucking try to kill Batman if he is still the only worthy succesor to the fucking demon army or whatever the hell that shit was about.

That's how Joker rolls. His whole life revolves around messing with Batman. He wouldn't get any satisfaction of gaining immortal without having Batman witness it in person. As for Ra's, he probably would not want Batman to be alive if he knows for sure that he would never lead his army.

My only disappointment in the story is that the Hugo stuff was being built up and shit was getting tense. The climax of that story thread was good but could have been better. As soon as Batman started thinking that someone else was working with Hugo, I immediately thought that it was Ra's, it fits his whole "plan".

I'm glad with where they left things off, Hamill said that he's done so I'm ok with seeing Joker die. I liked the ending and the only thing that will piss me off is if they pull some comic book bullshit and start resurrecting people.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By xanadu

Really OP?? Did you even watch the cut scenes or did you skip them all?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.