Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Grapnel Boost

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By uniform

Ok, so last night I started to do those VR training sessions, which are basically a beginners guide to gliding with Batman. I easily complete the first 4, because hey, they're kind of fun. Then, wait a minute..I get a nifty upgrade for doing them. Yes! It's called the Grapnel Boost. I retrieve my new upgrade, read about it via the select menu, then attempt to execute the move. It even has onscreen directions telling me how to do the move. And attempt I did..for the next hour! I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Click X, then hold X while doing the R1 Grapnel while gliding. Is this a timing thing? Is there a certain point I have to hit the combination? At one point I believe I heard Batman say I wasn't doing a Grapnel from a far enough distance. How can I help that? I can only use the Grapnel at the distance it lets me use it. I found it incredibly frustrating, and it ended my playing for the night after that hour. The cherry on top is that the on screen instructions for the move do not go away until you complete the move. So basically, they could be on screen the whole game if I don't execute the move. Help me GB..please?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

You're pressing X twice right? Immediately after you initiate the grapple, just quickly press X twice and hold it the second time. You will need to grapple something far enough away in order for this to work. I don't have exact numbers, but I think anything that is at least 1/3 max grapple distance or more should be enough. If you do it properly the grapple will make an accelerating sound and you'll speed up and launch off your grapple point into a glide.

And I'm assuming you're on PS3.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By uniform

I think it's a timing issue. I'll try it immediately after the Grapnel latches. I was trying it at different points in the grapnel, all the way up to coming into contact with Batman's destination, but I don't think I was hitting it immediately. Thanks for the tips fellas.

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By tomance

It took me a few tries as well. Basically just double tap x then hold it.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Vinny_Says

there's a minimum distance too, but common if you can't do this basic thing then you need to re-evaluate this video game playing thing you've got going on

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uniform

@Vinny_Says said:

there's a minimum distance too, but common if you can't do this basic thing then you need to re-evaluate this video game playing thing you've got going on

I could say the same for this posting thing that you do.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By briangodsoe

I found it to be more of a speed thing. Start on a ledge and glide off, do the dive and glide out of it, hit the grapnel button, press the boost button and you should hear a click then press and hold it to glide. It takes a bit to get the hang of, but when you do, you just whip around the city like crazy.

@Vinny_Says: Not everybody has an internal mastery of every game mechanic the second they pick up a controller. No need to be a dick about it.

SHADOWINFINITE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By SHADOWINFINITE

Totally off topic, but did anyone else here the reference to the "Lost" TV series? Specifically the ending of Lost?

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uniform

@briangodsoe said:

I found it to be more of a speed thing. Start on a ledge and glide off, do the dive and glide out of it, hit the grapnel button, press the boost button and you should hear a click then press and hold it to glide. It takes a bit to get the hang of, but when you do, you just whip around the city like crazy.

@Vinny_Says: Not everybody has an internal mastery of every game mechanic the second they pick up a controller. No need to be a dick about it.

Thank you for the helpful reply. I obviously have some basic grasp of the glide mechanics to get the Grapnel upgrade. In theory it shouldn't be any more difficult to execute the move than it was to gain access to it. There's just something I'm not doing properly and it's likely a timing issue.

Thanks again for the replies, aside from the one, which purpose was only to belittle me. I think I'll get the hang of it when I get home from work.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By project343

Came completely naturally to me. In Jeff's Quicklook, I saw him gliding around everywhere. I couldn't do this. Eventually found out that, with about half the game completed, completing the VR training unlocks this ability. Sigh.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By xxizzypop

@project343 said:

Came completely naturally to me. In Jeff's Quicklook, I saw him gliding around everywhere. I couldn't do this. Eventually found out that, with about half the game completed, completing the VR training unlocks this ability. Sigh.

That's kind of a bummer that it took that long to realize, but it does mention in the VR descriptions on the map that it will unlock a new gadget. Logically, it would have to be that. At least you finally got your hands on it though, haha

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Find a long distance to grapple to. Grapple. Double tap and hold the second X (or A). You'll hear a boost sound effect which means you'll be flying off of the edge which then you can continue gliding.

flamingBurrito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By flamingBurrito

It took me a little while to get the hang of it too, but it makes traversal so much easier.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Took me a while to understand it, but I got it after a couple tries. Makes everything so much faster.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@project343 said:

Almost in the same boat. Though I realized quickly that I was missing something, since it seemed like such a lynchpin mechanic to the new gamespace. Luckily didn't waste too much time without it.
    lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lclay

Hey guy are you holding R1 as well as holding x? I keep doing this and Bats will just climb on top of the grapple point if your holding R1. All you need to do is tap R1 and then tap x twice holding it the second time.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Had anyone attempted the advance AR training? Some of them are solid!! The dive and glide through the fun house is killing me. Anyone done it and got some tips?

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By the_hiro_abides

@Ninja_Welshman said:

Had anyone attempted the advance AR training? Some of them are solid!! The dive and glide through the fun house is killing me. Anyone done it and got some tips?

It's just a timing issue after using the dive bomb move. Obviously you need enough momentum to carry you through the tunnel but you need to be low enough to not run into the clown teeth. My biggest problem with that scenario was that I was instinctively trying to pull back up as far as possible after the dive bomb. After I realized that it only took me a few tries.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.