Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Anyone noticed the city at around the 12-second mark?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

At around 00:12, we seem to get a glimpse of a city with lit-up skyscrapers. Maybe the battlefield won't be the Middle East? What if it's the US? It seems to be the fad these days, ever since Modern Warfare 2. 

EDIT: hey, what if, whether or not there is a single player campaign, the narrative framework follows what is established at the end of Bad Company 2? Which is Russia invading the US (from what I seem to remember).

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By B0nd07

Might I suggest checking out some of the other threads?

Like this one:

From Webhallen (a Swedish retailer):

"...
    In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines where they will experience heart-pounding single player missions and competitive multiplayer actions ranging across diverse locations from around the globe including Paris, Tehran and New York

Features:

• Urban Combat — Take the fight to iconic and unexpected places in the USA, Middle East, and Europe including claustrophobic streets, metropolitan downtowns, and open, vehicle-friendly landscapes as you fight your way through the war of tomorrow."

So, you're right in your observation; the game will take place in more than just Middle Eastern desserts.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RsistncE

I'd rather them focus completely on the multiplayer and just skip the single player entirely. It's not exactly what the Battlefield franchise is known for...

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By B0nd07
    @RsistncE: Yeah, I'd rather the single player (and co-op) be the traditional multiplayer but with bots.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kishan6

Please tell me that some of it will be in dubai.... its the perfect place for a battleground 
    half of the map is some of the worst slums you've ever seen and then the other half is the most amazing city youve ever seen

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikeeegeee

I knew it. Larger scale destruction. A full range of building sizes. All(?) destructible. This alone will improve the gameplay leaps and bounds. The addition of jets to the new engine, with the (presumably) updated destruction capacity, will make this game a landmark in the war simulation genre. Fully realized physics, combat, map size, and (hopefully) destruction on a larger scale will make this one for the books. This will be the game that prompts me to build a gaming PC.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic

ya

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By PhatSeeJay

The trailer scream urban warfare with that Russian jet shooting down a civilian helicopter!
    I for one wouldn't mind the chance to put some serious dents in the New York skyscrapers or blow off one of the supports for the Eiffel Tower and see it Frostbite 2.0. 

Hey, one can dream!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Enigma777
    @B0nd07 said:
    " @RsistncE: Yeah, I'd rather the single player (and co-op) be the traditional multiplayer but with bots. "
    Screw that. It sucked in UT3 and it will suck here too.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vitor
    @Enigma777 said:
    " @B0nd07 said:
    " @RsistncE: Yeah, I'd rather the single player (and co-op) be the traditional multiplayer but with bots. "
    Screw that. It sucked in UT3 and it will suck here too. "
    No way they'd ship a MP only game though. Not for $60 anyway.  

Clearly Dice have learnt a thing or two from the BC series though so I'm expecting a decent effort offline at the very least. Still, it's not something this series needs. Frankly, I'd just be happy if they don't stray too far from the BF2 formula. 
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Enigma777
    @Vitor: Yea, I'm expecting a decent SP as well since I really liked BC2's. I was merely commenting on how the suggestion that the SP should basically be the MP maps with bots is a terrible idea.
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sameeeeam

Guys, please stop talking about this game now. It's getting me excited.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vitor
    @Enigma777: It is a terrible idea. Has been awful in every game that's implemented it as it just feels lazy. 

Hopefully with the amount of guys Dice recently pulled in from other projects, this means they're giving both sides, MP and SP, full attention. 
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AuthenticM

I would not be surprised if the game had a true single player campaign. I don't know if EA is willing to ship a game that is multiplayer only this time around, especially if it's coming to consoles. The games industry is pretty different from when BF2 came out all those years ago. Who knows; we'll see. I wouldn't mind it, as long as multiplayer is the main focus and does not get compromised.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By sumbog
    @mikeeegeee: There are jets? are the maps gonna be big enough to support them while keeping the massive sense of speed you want from a jet?
    Avatar image for deactivated-6442941ed320c
    deactivated-6442941ed320c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AuthenticM said:  hey, what if, whether or not there is a single player campaign, the narrative framework follows what is established at the end of Bad Company 2? Which is Russia invading the US (from what I seem to remember). " 

BC2's SP end shot was followed immediately by the MP. If you check out their descriptions and look at the locations, a logical timeline emerges and you essentially fight in the larger battle displayed. 

That being said, it's been suggested by a few people that perhaps we'll fight IN that larger war anyhow. Potentially expect a cameo from the B-Company folks.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Yeah it totally had buildings and stuff.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Jayross

"In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines where they will experience heart-pounding single player missions and competitive multiplayer actions ranging across diverse locations from around the globe including Paris, Tehran and New York."

So, New York, Paris... Tehran? This is going to be crazy!!

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I'm really upset at this game taking place in Tehran for no apparent reason. Plus, they have no idea as to how to realistically and effectively display that city.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By B0nd07
    @Vitor said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    " @B0nd07 said:
    No way they'd ship a MP only game though. Not for $60 anyway. "
    Who says a multiplayer only game would cost $60?  I'm pretty sure I picked up BF2 for around $40, and it's only been recently that PC games started costing $60 (no thanks to console games).  They were $50 for the longest time.

Besides, it's only what I'd prefer.  It actually worked pretty well in BF2; even if the AI wasn't as smart as you'd like.  The core franchise doesn't need a campaign, but if it turns out great, that's fine too.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayross
    @ISuperGamerI
    I'm really upset at this game taking place in Tehran for no apparent reason. Plus, they have no idea as to how to realistically and effectively display that city.
    I'm upset that it is taking place in New York.

Wait, no I'm not, because that's dumb.
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mikeeegeee
    canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By canucks23
    @mikeeegeee said:
    " I knew it. Larger scale destruction. A full range of building sizes. All(?) destructible. This alone will improve the gameplay leaps and bounds. The addition of jets to the new engine, with the (presumably) updated destruction capacity, will make this game a landmark in the war simulation genre. Fully realized physics, combat, map size, and (hopefully) destruction on a larger scale will make this one for the books. This will be the game that prompts me to build a gaming PC. "
    Gah! Stop, you're getting me to excited now.
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Jayross said:
    " @ISuperGamerI
    I'm upset that it is taking place in New York. Wait, no I'm not, because that's dumb. "
    It's not dumb cause we are talking about a Middle Eastern country and in just about every video game, they are misrepresented. Even when the Middle Eastern characters talk, it's gibberish and not the correct language.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jayross
    @ISuperGamerI
    @Jayross said:
    " @ISuperGamerI
    I'm upset that it is taking place in New York. Wait, no I'm not, because that's dumb. "
    It's not dumb cause we are talking about a Middle Eastern country and in just about every video game, they are misrepresented. Even when the Middle Eastern characters talk, it's gibberish and not the correct language.
    Okay, I understand where you are coming from. I was more thinking of multiplayer..

However, I hope DICE approaches Tehran carefully and is not overtly disrespectful or inaccurate.
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Jayross said:
    " @ISuperGamerI
    @Jayross said:
    " @ISuperGamerI
    Okay, I understand where you are coming from. I was more thinking of multiplayer.. However, I hope DICE approaches Tehran carefully and is not overtly disrespectful or inaccurate. "
    Thanks I appreciate it and I will boycott DICE unless they do a good job at representing the city. Also, I wonder how the SP will incorporate into all of this.
    jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jmfinamore
    @B0nd07 said:
    " @Vitor said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    " @B0nd07 said:
    No way they'd ship a MP only game though. Not for $60 anyway. "
    Who says a multiplayer only game would cost $60?  I'm pretty sure I picked up BF2 for around $40, and it's only been recently that PC games started costing $60 (no thanks to console games).  They were $50 for the longest time.

Besides, it's only what I'd prefer.  It actually worked pretty well in BF2; even if the AI wasn't as smart as you'd like.  The core franchise doesn't need a campaign, but if it turns out great, that's fine too. "
    No way it won't be $60. EA is not going to release one of their biggest games of the year for under $60. It's going to have a story driven SP campaign whether anyone likes it or not. 
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By Seppli
    @Jayross:@ISuperGamerI:

Who cares, as long as it is pretty and blows up well?

Also, we will fight on both sides. So you are Teheran in a way. I guess more people will have problems with defending Teheran, rather than being offended by it being represented wrongly. You are gonna play as the dudes your dudes gonna attack within this decade for realz.
    Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Aurelito
    @Seppli said:

" @Jayross:@ISuperGamerI:  Who cares, as long as it is pretty and blows up well?  Also, we will fight on both sides. So you are Teheran in a way. I guess more people will have problems with defending Teheran, rather than being offended by it being represented wrongly. You are gonna play as the dudes your dudes gonna attack within this decade for realz. "

What bugs me is that they're probably gonna call Iranians "Arab", which they're certainly not, and will never be. I don't care about destroying the city, they might as well put the whole country into the game and nuke it, I won't care as long as they don't call Iranians Arab.

Edit: I'm desperate and I'm sure that they will call Iranians Arab. I don't know how to contact Dice and tell them about it. They probably won't care anyway, because there are no legal End-users for their game in Iran (there's lots of illegal users though).
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By jakob187
    @RsistncE said:
    " I'd rather them focus completely on the multiplayer and just skip the single player entirely. It's not exactly what the Battlefield franchise is known for... "
    It's not like they DIDN'T focus on the multiplayer for Bad Company 2.  Hell, that multiplayer was pretty excellent.  Moreover, it happened to have a pretty good single player as well.  The same can be said for its predecessor. 

As long as the multiplayer is beefy and will keep my fingers on the keyboard, then I'm fine with it.  The single player would just be a bonus.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By KaosAngel

BF3 has a story mode?  O_o

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Seppli said:
    " @Jayross:@ISuperGamerI:  Who cares, as long as it is pretty and blows up well?  Also, we will fight on both sides. So you are Teheran in a way. I guess more people will have problems with defending Teheran, rather than being offended by it being represented wrongly. You are gonna play as the dudes your dudes gonna attack within this decade for realz. "
    What the heck are you talking about? Do you even know where Tehran is in the world?
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Aurelito said:
    " @Seppli said:

What bugs me is that they're probably gonna call Iranians "Arab", which they're certainly not, and will never be. I don't care about destroying the city, they might as well put the whole country into the game and nuke it, I won't care as long as they don't call Iranians Arab.  Edit: I'm desperate and I'm sure that they will call Iranians Arab. I don't know how to contact Dice and tell them about it. They probably won't care anyway, because there are no legal End-users for their game in Iran (there's lots of illegal users though). "
    I totally agree with you, they will misrepresent Persians and if they do, I am never buying another DICE game ever again. Also, they shouldn't put the entire country, not even one or two cities.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By tekmojo
    @Underachiever007 said:
    " Guys, please stop talking about this game now. It's getting me excited. "
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RsistncE
    @jakob187 said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    " I'd rather them focus completely on the multiplayer and just skip the single player entirely. It's not exactly what the Battlefield franchise is known for... "
    It's not like they DIDN'T focus on the multiplayer for Bad Company 2.  Hell, that multiplayer was pretty excellent.  Moreover, it happened to have a pretty good single player as well.  The same can be said for its predecessor.  As long as the multiplayer is beefy and will keep my fingers on the keyboard, then I'm fine with it.  The single player would just be a bonus. "
    Yeah BUT what I'm saying is that it's the multiplayer that's important to me and if cutting single player in any way improves the multiplayer then I'm all for it.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Seppli
    @ISuperGamerI said:

" @Seppli said:

What the heck are you talking about? Do you even know where Tehran is in the world? "
    Iran. Which is likely to be invaded by the US within this decade. Take my word for it.
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Seppli said:
    " @ISuperGamerI said:

" @Seppli said:

What the heck are you talking about? Do you even know where Tehran is in the world? "
    Iran. Which is likely to be invaded by the US within this decade. Take my word for it. "
    I feel sorry for how much of a redneck you are and the US will not invade Iran, that would be an abomination just waiting to happen.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Seppli
    @ISuperGamerI said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @ISuperGamerI said:

" @Seppli said:

Iran. Which is likely to be invaded by the US within this decade. Take my word for it. "
    I feel sorry for how much of a redneck you are and the US will not invade Iran, that would be an abomination just waiting to happen. "
    Not even American. Current regime acts pretty iffy in my opinion. Iran has WMD in the works. Just recently 2 Iranian nuclear scientist got BOMBED at the same day. That's some Sam Fischer-style CIA shit.

Anticipating interventention by American forces and later International forces to stop Iran from becoming a nuclear power. Likelyness 50% to happen this decade by my own unqualifyied estimation.
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Seppli said:
    " @ISuperGamerI said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @ISuperGamerI said:

" @Seppli said:

I feel sorry for how much of a redneck you are and the US will not invade Iran, that would be an abomination just waiting to happen. "
    Not even American. Current regime acts pretty iffy in my opinion. Iran has WMD in the works. Just recently 2 Iranian nuclear scientist got BOMBED at the same day. That's some Sam Fischer-style CIA shit.  Anticipating interventention by American forces and later International forces to stop Iran from becoming a nuclear power. Likelyness 50% to happen this decade by my own unqualifyied estimation. "
    Yes the current Persian regime is a disgrace, but the only way to get rid of it is to take out the government. The country that is quickly becoming a nuclear powerhouse is China.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.