Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

BF3 week one sales beats every other BF game(17 of them) combined

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills
    http://www.oxm.co.uk/35425/uk-charts-battlefield-3-week-one-sales-beat-all-17-previous-battlefields-combined/ 

EA and DICE's Battlefield 3 is off to a furious start at retail, clocking up the 10th biggest UK all-formats units sold performance ever, and the ninth biggest by revenue.

Rather shockingly, the new shooter not only blasted past last year's Medal of Honor to the tune of 2:1, but managed to beat the launch week sales of all 17 previous Battlefields combined. That's what you get when you turn the marketing dial up to 11, I guess.

Battlefield 3's thunderous debut was more than enough to knock Warner's Batman: Arkham City to second place, after a 52 per cent fall for the Dark Knight's celebrated new outing. FIFA 12 takes third, and Football Manager 2012 nabs fourth after sales drops of 14 and 42 per cent respectively.

In UK that is but still very impressive. Holy shit. I guess those 10 million shipped copies were justified. I can't wait to see the NPD numbers of this and MW3. It's going to be great. Also, lol kinect.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I was eager to hate on BF3 post launch as a disappointment but, fuck me, DICE deserve every buck they made.

Good on them, here's to 10 more.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bwmcmaste

@Metal_Mills: When I bought my copy last week: I stood in line behind a fellow who was buying BF3 for the PS3, bought my copy of BF3 for the PS3, and was followed by a fellow buying the same. Oh, and when I was just about at the door, I heard a fellow on his cell phone mentioning that he was about to go purchase the aforementioned game.

It is enough to say that I can imagine that a round of large Christmas hams will be going out to DICE employees this year, though they be figurative.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By Atlas

Not surprised. I remember driving past one of South London's major supermarkets in June, five months before release, and they totally had a big BF3 billboard. This game has been all over buses, they've done TV spots, it's been all over my online advertising, every which way they could let you know about BF3 they did it.

I still feel bad about how EA handled the launch of this game, especially review-wise, but it's good to know that the masses can appreciate an excellent action game that isn't called Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By redbliss

@AhmadMetallic said:

I was eager to hate on BF3 post launch as a disappointment but, fuck me, DICE deserve every buck they made.

People said the same thing when COD 4 came out, except for the hate part, and now everyone hates the series.

Anyway, I dont think it is going to beat MW3. That game is still going to sell a ton, and may even beat Black Ops first week sales.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

No objections here.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @AhmadMetallic said:

Told you so. :P
    daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By daiphyer

Wow. Good for them. About time some other game than CoD sold this well.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By big_jon

Am I the only one on this site no fully happy with this game?

It needs a lot of patch work.

Cymatics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Cymatics

@big_jon: Probably not the only one. But for me, everything is great in this game, I got the PC version.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By xxizzypop

@redbliss said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

People said the same thing when COD 4 came out, except for the hate part, and now everyone hates the series.

Anyway, I dont think it is going to beat MW3. That game is still going to sell a ton, and may even beat Black Ops first week sales.

I dunno. Honestly, there are a lot of people who have cooled fierce to MW3. It will sell gangbusters, there is no doubt about that, but I know that in my own social circles and a couple others there is furtive talk about 'I just don't really care about it and have the money. I'll get it used or rent it.'

BF3 is a fantastic multiplayer experience when it works right, and it does, more often than not now. Plus, MW2 left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths around my area. We played the shit out of CoD 4 and loved it tremendously. MW2 wasn't anywhere near the experience that that game was, and we've collectively never 'got' what made it so great.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Evilmetal

I wonder what PC only sales were, without the consoles being counted.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Cirdain
    @xxizzypop

@redbliss said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I dunno. Honestly, there are a lot of people who have cooled fierce to MW3. It will sell gangbusters, there is no doubt about that, but I know that in my own social circles and a couple others there is furtive talk about 'I just don't really care about it and have the money. I'll get it used or rent it.'

BF3 is a fantastic multiplayer experience when it works right, and it does, more often than not now. Plus, MW2 left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths around my area. We played the shit out of CoD 4 and loved it tremendously. MW2 wasn't anywhere near the experience that that game was, and we've collectively never 'got' what made it so great.

But Batman...... :'(
    zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zaglis
    @Evilmetal said:

I wonder what PC only sales were, without the consoles being counted.

I wanna know how much EA lost by not releasing, what seems like the second biggest game this year, on Steam.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Vinny_Says

How are there 17 battlefield games? I count 11 at most...

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By butano
    wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wardcleaver

@xxizzypop said:

Yea, my group of friends has the same attitude about MW4. I actually liked MW2 and BO, but I am also kinda burnt-out on COD games. Plus, I have a back-log of great games to tide me over until next year, that I can live without MW4 until I can find it for cheap.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Butano said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Counting all the expansion packs and F2P titles also, there are, in fact, 17: http://www.giantbomb.com/battlefield/62-51/games/

dudebro? How do you account for the sales of a F2P title?

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By butano

@Vinny_Says said:

@Butano said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Counting all the expansion packs and F2P titles also, there are, in fact, 17: http://www.giantbomb.com/battlefield/62-51/games/

dudebro? How do you account for the sales of a F2P title?

No clue other than the amount of microtransactions that happened during the first week, is what I would guess.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomeJerk

The COD problem is not doing anything new.

Every year.

But I am looking forward to Bad Company 3 because I enjoy infantry-only action, especially when you get those cockbag assault rifles away and balance the playfield out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.