Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Chat sessions with DICE about Battlefield 3

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By swoxx

So I took the liberty to translate a chat session with some DICE guys that was conducted on a swedish gaming site. Hope it is worth the read because I had to do it twice because I accidentally went back instead of erasing with backspace when I had finished it the first time :(

I left the original text in, if you find it annoying I can remove it.

Sorry if the english sucks, hard to translate swedish into proper english sometimes without completely changing the text.

Let me know if I made any glaring errors!

Source: http://www.fz.se/sidor/chatta-med-dice

Tuesday November 1, 2011

2:12
    Mats Nylund:
    Hej allihop, Mats här! Nu hoppas jag att vi är igång och att allt funkar :).
    Ska börja passa frågor till killarna om en seknd

Hello everyone, Mats here! Now I'm hoping everything is running and working :).
    Will start throwing questions to the guys in a second.
    2:13
    Calle Sundelius (FZ):
    Jay!
    2:14
    Comment From Hellpower
    Tjena Patrick och Anders BF3 är grymt bra men kan bli grymst!? Har en viktig fråga ang. teamwork? Har ni funderat hur ni kan lösa så att gruppledaren genom commorose får mer möjligheter att ge order typ ”Move to this location” för att lättare hålla ihop gruppen? Kul om förutsättningen finns för teamwork om man vill ha teamwork. I Battlefield 2 har ni löst det bra så varför inte i Battlefeild 3? Mvh Hellpower and Slammer Members of SUGS

I have an important question regarding teamwork? Have you considered how you can solve so that the squadleader through commorose gets more opportunities to give orders? Such as "Move to this location" to make it easier to keep the squad together? Would be fun if the possibilities for teamwork was there if you want teamwork. You solved it well in Battlefield 2 so why not in Battlefield 3?
    2:15
    Mats Nylund:
    Första frågan ute, jag kommer barea att lägga ut roliga, relevanta frågor från läsare som mutat mig tillräckligt :).

The first question is out, I will only put out fun, relevant questions from users that have sufficiently bribed me :).
    2:15
    Calle Sundelius (FZ):
    Det är som sagt en modererad chat, så era frågor syns inte innan vi har godkänt dom. Om din fråga inte besvaras rör det sig troligen om redan känd information eller så är den redan besvarad, scrolla upp och kolla.

This is as stated a moderated chat, so your questions will not be visible until we've approved them. If your question is not answered it's probably due to the information already being known or has already been answered, scroll up and check.
    2:18
    DICE:
    Hej alla, vi jobbar kontinuerligt med att förbättra spelet. När det gäller commo rose så tittar vi på diverse förbättringar. Exakt vilka kan vi inte gå in på i detalj nu. Vi lyssnar på alla förslag och utvärderar all feedback. Det viktigaste är att så många som möjligt blir nöjda.

Hello everyone! We're continuously working on improving the game. Regarding commo rose we're looking at various improvements. Exactly what these are is something we can't go into detail about now. We're listening to all suggestions and evaluate all feedback. The most important thing is that as many as possible are satisfied.
    Comment From MonsterGuden
    Många klagar på buggar och problem, är någon patch på väg?

A lot of people are complaining about bugs and problems, is there a patch on the way?
    Comment From painOplenty
    På dom flesta 64 player servrar märks en "rubberband" effekt.. är det något ni är medvetna om?

On most 64 player servers you notice a "rubberband" effect...is this something you're aware of?
    2:20
    Mats Nylund:
    Bara så ni vet, vi får massor av frågor, jag postar så många jag hinner så fort killarna har svarat. Alla lär garanterat inte hinnas med, tyvärr. :/

Just so you know, we're getting tons of questions, I'm posting as many as I can as soon as the guys have answered. There will not be time for all of them, unfortunately. :/
    DICE:
    Generellt sett så har de flesta inga problem med spelet som helhet men givetvis finns det massor av saker som vi kommer fixa i framtida patchar och uppdateringar. Vi har redant patchat servarna och jobbar med klientpatchar både på lång och kort sikt.

Generally most people have no issues with the game as a whole but of course there are tons of stuff we will fix in future patches and updates. We've already patched servers and are working on client-patches both on long and short term.
    Comment From Guest
    Den öppna betan fick blandad kritik, tycker ni betan gav önskad effekt ur ett marknadsföringsperspektiv?

The open beta got mixed criticism, do you think the beta gave the desired effect from a marketing perspective?
    2:21
    DICE:
    Ang. Rubberbanding så har vi hört att vissa har detta problem. Vi håller på att felsöka vad det kan vara så att vi kan patcha.

Regarding rubberbanding we've heard that some have this problem. We're in the process of troubleshooting what's wrong so that we can patch.
    2:21
    What score do YOU give Battlefield 3?
    ( 1% )
    ( 1% )
    ( 10% )
    ( 32% )
    ( 56% )
    2:23
    DICE:
    Betan var inget marknadsföringsverktyg utan ett utvecklarverktyg. Vi behövde få in information om backend och allmän spelbalans. Vi fick in extremt mycket bra feedback som vi löste till släppet. Givetvis finns det oändligt med saker vi vill fortsätta fixa med.

The beta was not a marketing tool but a developer tool. We needed to get information about backend and general game balance. We got in extremely much good feedback that we solved till release. Of course there is an infinite amount of stuff we want to continue working with.
    2:24
    Comment From painOplenty
    Support med mortar i spawn där man inte kommer åt dom var ingen bra idé Är det något ni kommer kolla på?

Support with mortars in spawn where you can't get to them was not a good idea. Is this something you will look into?
    2:25
    DICE:
    Vi håller på att kika på hur vi skall förbättra balanseringen här och på andra ställen.

We're looking into how we can improve balance here and in other places.
    2:25
    Comment From Thommy
    Före release av BF3 så sa ni själva att ni fokuserade mycket på e-sport. Nu om vi kollar en vecka efter release så saknar fortfarande vi dom viktigaste delarna för att kunna ta Battlefield 3 till toppen av e-sport. Hur ser statusen ut på Specmode, Battlerecorder eller tickets efter rundans slut? Och har ni några planer på att utveckla minimapen mer?

Before release you yourselves said that you focused a lot on e-sports. Now if we take a look a week after release you're still missing the most important parts to be able to bring Battlefield 3 to the top of e-sports. What's the status on specmode, battlerecorder or tickets after the round is over? And do you have any plans on developing the minimap more?
    2:28
    DICE:
    Vi har fortfarande kvar fokuset men har inte hunnit få in alla features ännu. Vi kommer att släppa fler features efterhand. Generellt sett så är backenden redan förberedd men vi vill inte släppa ifrån oss saker som vi inte känner är redo att släppa.

We still have that focus but we have not had time to get all the features in yet. We will be releasing more features as time goes by. Generally the badckend is already prepared but we do not want to release things we feel are not ready to be released.
    Comment From heady
    Vad är det som gör att nätkoden i spelet är så seg? Är det på grund av förstörelsen ? Sällan har spel varit mer irriterande när man kan dö "efter" man sprungit runt ett hörn eller tagit skydd. Något frostbite haft problem med enda sedan BC1 och dess introduktion..

What is it that makes the netcode in the game so slow? Is it because of destruction? Rarely has a game been more irritating when you can die "after" having ran around a corner or take cover. Something the frostbite engine has had problems with since BC1 and it's introduction.
    How many hours have you played since release?
    >1
    ( 6% )
    2-5
    ( 10% )
    5-10
    ( 17% )
    10-15
    ( 29% )
    15-20
    ( 39% )
    2:31
    DICE:
    Nätkoden i BF3 hanterar så mycket mer än bara kulbanor och soldatförflyttningar. Just det faktum att vi har fordon, ballistik, förstörelse gör att vi ställer lite högre krav på att man har en hyggligt snabb och stabil internetuppkoppling.

The netcode in BF3 handles so much more than just bullet trajectories and soldier movements. Just the fact that we have vehicles, ballistics and destruction means that we put higher demands on having a decently fast and stable internet connection.
    2:32
    Comment From Komuflage
    Jag har sätt många fusk servrar i serverbrowsern där man får mer poäng en standard. även sätt folk som kan ha över 4tusen poäng/minut, är ni medvetna om detta fuskande?

I've seen many cheat servers in the server browser where you get more points than a standard server. I have even seen people who have over 4000 points/minute, are you aware of this cheating?
    2:35
    DICE:
    Absolut! Detta är ju någonting som vi ogillar skarpt och har byggt många system som skall motverka detta. Dock så går det att jobba sig runt oavsett vad vi gör då en PC innehåller så många system utanför vår kontroll. Vi har ett stort team som följer upp på orimliga stats och rapporter från spelare. Vi bannar och wipe-ar konton kontinuerligt. Fortsätt rapportera om ni ser något skumt...

Absolutely! This is something that we strongly dislike and have built many systems to prevent it. However there are workarounds no matter what we do because a PC includes so many systems that are out of our control. We have a large team that follows up on unreasonable stats and reports from players. We ban and wipe accounts continuously. Keep reporting if you see anything fishy...
    2:35
    Comment From Guest
    När kommer möjligheten att läsa av ping in-game? Och hurpass intresserade är ni av Battlefield 3 PC Wishlisttråden, 143 sidor kan inte ha fel?

When will the ability to check ping in game be available? And how interested are you in the Battlefield 3 PC wishlist thread, 143 pages can't be wrong?
    2:39
    DICE:
    Vi håller på att stoppa in det, så i nästa eller en senare patch skall det vara inne. Vi läser Wishlist tråden hela tiden. Tyvärr så är många önskningar motstridiga eller väldigt specifika för att förbättra för en väldigt speciell spelstil vilket gör att vi inte kan göra någonting åt det. Ofta får vi försöka hitta en helt ny lösning som kanske inkluderar fler spelstilar men som inte är exakt det som finns som förfrågan.

We're in the process of implementing it, so in the next or a later patch it will be in. We read the wishlist thread all the time. Unfortunately a lot of requests are contradictive or very specific for improving a very specialized playstyle which means we can't do anything about it. Often we have to try to find a whole new solution that may include more playstyles but that are not exactly what is requested.
    2:40
    Comment From Henric
    Hur stor kan en bana bli med Frostbite motorn? Mätt med Highway tampa från Battlefield 2. Vilket jag har för mig var en av de största banorna ifrån den serien

How big can a map get with the Frostbite engine? Compared to Highway tampa from Battlefield 2. Which from what I recall was one of the biggest maps from that series.
    2:41
    DICE:
    Vi skulle nog kunna bygga en större bana en så, men som vi alla vet så har ju storleken ingen betydelse :)

We could probably build a bigger map than that, but as we all know size doesn't matter :)
    2:41
    Comment From Komuflage
    Vad har hänt med förstörelsen? Varken broar eller vissa murar som kan finnas mitt i en banna är oförstörbara.

What happened to destruction? Neither bridges nor certain wall that can be found in the middle of a map are destructible.
    2:43
    DICE:
    Vi kan förstöra i princip vad vi vill men för att hitta en bra spelbalans så väljer vi att bibehålla en del strukturer ur ett taktiskt perspektiv.

We can basically destroy whatever we want but to find a good gameplay balance we choose to keep some structures from a tactical perspective.
    2:43
    Comment From Thailandur
    Varför har helikoptrarna (attack) ändrats så mycket från BF2/1942. Då syftar jag på rörlighet i luften, tex "Barrelrolls".

Why has the helicopters (attack) changed so much from BF2/1942. In regard to maneuverability in air, i.e "Barrelrolls".
    2:45
    Mats Nylund:
    Vi hinner bara med två frågor till, ungefär, så har du en fantastisk fråga, ställ den nu!

We only have time for about two more questions, so if you have an amazing question, ask it now!
    2:46
    DICE:
    Helikoptrarna liksom alla andra fordon handlar väldigt mycket om tycke och smak. Många tyckte VÄLDIGT illa om helikoptrarna i BF2 (fanns inga i 1942). Vi tycker vi har hittat en bra balans på helikoptrarna i BF3. Det är för övrigt samma personer som varit inblandad i helikopterkontrollerna sen BF2.

The helicopters just like all other vehicles are very much about personal preference. A lot of people REALLY disliked the helicopters in BF2 (there were none in 1942). We think We've found a good balance for the helicopters in BF3. It is by the way the same people who have been involved in helicopter controls since BF2.
    2:47
    Comment From Christoffer
    En fråga angående Battlelog. Kul idé att man styr och ser information via en hemsida. Vad var det som triggade er att gå i den riktningen? är det enklare vid utvecklingen? och tror ni fler och fler (även icke EA-spel) kommer göra samma i framtiden?

A question regarding Battlelog. Fun idea that you control and see information via a website. What triggered you to go in this direction? Is it simpler during development? And do you think more and more (including non EA-games) will do the same in the future?
    2:52
    DICE:
    Vi håller med om att Battlelog är helt rätt väg att gå. Vi har spelat Battlefield i så många år nu och försökte samla allt man gör när man inte springer eller flyger på kartorna. Den sociala aspekten är också viktig för oss då du nu mycket enkelt kan följa upp hur det går för dig själv och även dina kompisar när du sitter på jobbet/skolan eller på bussen. Det blir också mycket enklare för oss att få ut uppdateringar och info då spelaren inte behöver ladda ner något för att få en uppdatering i Battlelog.

We agree that battlelog was the right way to go. We've been playing battlefield for so many years now and tried to collect everything you do when you're not running or flying on the maps. The social aspect is also important for us because you can now very easily follow up how you and your friends are doing when you're at work/school or on the buss. It's also much easier for us to get updates and information out because the player does not need to download anything to get an update in the battlelog.
    2:52
    Comment From Fade
    Den fantastiska frågan. När patchas flashlight buggen? Inte kan det vara medvetet gjort så man blir bländad utomhus av en ficklampa?
    The amazing question. When will the flashlight bug be fixed? It can't be intended that you get blinded by a flashlight outdoors?
    2:55
    DICE:
    Jo, faktiskt :) BF3 är ingen simulering. Dock så kommer vi fortsätta med att balansera och justera alla delar av spelet i framtiden.

Yes, actually :) BF3 is not a simulation. However we will continue balancing and adjusting all aspects of the game in the future.
    2:55
    Comment From Robert
    Är ni nöjda med det ni har släppt? Hur nöjda är ni fortfarande den 8:de november?

Are you satisfied with what you've released? How satisfied will you be on November 8th?
    2:56
    Mats Nylund:
    Den frågan får bli den sista, sedan måste vi tyvärr släppa killarna igen, så de kan fortsätta göra fantastiska spel!

This will be the last question, then we have to let the guys go again, so they can keep making amazing games!
    2:59
    DICE:
    Absolut! Vi är verkligen nöjda! Vi har aldrig släppt en så stor titel förut och vi har redan sålt 5 miljoner ex så det är svårt att inte vara glad.
    Den 8 nov kommer vi vara fortsatt nöjda och spela BF3 med er samt kanske testa något annat spel för variationens skull... sen tillbaks till BF3 :)

Absolutely! We're really satisfied. We've never released such a big title before and we've already sold 5 million copies so it's difficult not to be happy. On November 8th we will still be satisfied and playing BF3 with you, as well as trying some other games for variety... then back to BF3 :)
    3:00
    Mats Nylund:
    Tack för att ni var här allihop! Nu kommer en sista kommentar från grabbarna, sedan hejdå!

Thank you all for being here! Here comes one last comment from the guys, then goodbye!
    3:02
    DICE:
    Tack för att ni avsatt tid för att skriva frågorna. Hoppas ni fortsätter att rapportera in fuskare och/eller problem så vi kan jobba vidare med att göra BF3 ännu bättre.

Tack, ni är grymma, men ge fan i våra Dogtags!!!

-Patrick & Anders

Thank you for taking the time to ask questions. We hope you continue to report cheaters and/or problems so that we can continue to make BF3 even better.

Thanks, you're awesome, but stay the hell away from our Dogtags!!!

-Patrick & Anders
    3:03
    Mats Nylund:
    Tack allihop för de fantastiska, och de andra frågorna :). Nu ska jag gå hem och spela BF3! Puss och kram.

Thanks everone for the fantastic, and the other questions :). Now I'm going to go home and play BF3! Kiss and hug.
    swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By swoxx

Well, It's official, I wasted my time!

Either way, I thought it was pretty interesting even though it was nothing major. Good to see ping being added soon.

Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Giacomito

Not a waste. interesting read.

Well, maybe a waste med tanke på att jag är svensk :)

enai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By enai

Thanks that was a good little read, I'm glad they're talking about things like battle recorder and showing ping in game. Looks like it will only get better. I've missed good PC Battlefield

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By swoxx

@Dr_Rofl: Agreed, I want a battle recorder bad! And it needs the ability to move around freely while it's playing back (halo style). You could probably capture 50 awesome moments in each game if you could do that.

@Giacomito: Haha.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mikemcn

More important than ping, CAR HORNS IN THE NEXT BF3 PATCH! BEEEEP Beeeeppppp

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By fishmicmuffin

That was a great read, thanks for translating it!

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By swoxx

@Mikemcn said:

More important than ping, CAR HORNS IN THE NEXT BF3 PATCH! BEEEEP Beeeeppppp

Dude yes, why are they gone :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.