Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

If Battlefield Beats Call of Duty

• 63 results
    VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VictoryBlixt

This post by Sign really got me thinking,

@Sign: What confuses me more than anything (and I see it more on reddit /r/gaming than here) is the people praying for this game to kill CoD while at the same time bashing CoD players. What I don't think these people realize is if BF3 does in fact dethrone CoD than all those people that play CoD are going to come over to BF3. Is that what they really want to happen? Do you really want the people you so actively mock and detest to move over to the game you are playing?

The fact of the matter is is that CoD caters to the LCD, I am not saying that if you play CoD you're an idiot, I'm just stating the fact that CoD is a game for the mass market and is designed to cater to the mass market. Battlefield ,while also catering to the mass market, does have more of a hardcore focus than games like Call of  Duty, due to it's more complex gameplay systems and because of this the multiplayer require more thought and coordination than CoD. Again I am not saying that people who enjoy just shooting dudes aren't gamers or are five years old, I'm just saying that the gameplay focus of Battlefield is more complex than that of CoD.  This complexity has driven people away from the Battlefield series.

Now if you've ever played CoD 4+, especially on consoles, then you know that these games are filled with the worst people and whiny kids and all kinds of other horrible things; now do the Battlefield games have these people? Yes absolutely they do, but just by the virtue of CoD being more popular and simpler there are more of those people playing CoD. 

There are two scenarios that I can see happening, on consoles not PC:

1. "The MAG Problem": For a very long time in MAG you could pretty much only play Sabo. If you looked at the player numbers there would be around 2000 people playing Sabo and around a hundred in the other modes. MAG was supposed to be about large scale battles and team work but because people preferred to just shoot dudes, Sabo became the most played game mode because it was simple and straightforward, there were other issues at play in MAG's case but the fact remains that Domination mode was supposed to be the focus of MAG. 
    Battlefield 3 is the first Battlefield game to have a two team TDM mode out of the box. This is undeniably an effort to appeal to a wider audience. Battlefield has always been about Conquest mode, and in BC series Rush, and that is what people played and that is what people love. Now if your average CoD player comes to BF3 for it's shiny graphics or because they saw it on TV, what mode are they gonna play? They're gonna play TDM because it's simple, fast, and uncomplicated, they're not going to play complex conquest or rush, they are going to play the mode that they can play with the smallest learning curve. I'm not saying they are wrong for doing so, I'm saying that TDM is not what Battlefield is about. So what you could see happen is, on consoles, Battlefield becoming a TDM game and that the vast majority of people playing will play TDM exclusively and the playerbase for Conquest and Rush, dwindle. DICE, and EA, being the businesses they are will in subsequent games cater to their audience and make Battlefield more and more TDM focused ( I wouldn't blame them for doing so, they aren't charities they're businesses.)

2. "Spillover": If BF3 is wildly popular and these people, who aren't interested in playing as a team or for objectives, simply playing to shoot dudes or for K/D, jump into the objective modes they will ruin the play for people and make playing the game for the objectives to be no fun at all. This is already a huge problem in Battlefield games, and it will only get worse the more popular it is. Am I saying that I don't want BF to be popular? No, I'm simply stating an unavoidable fact.

I don't say this because I'm a PC Elitist, I'm not I haven't played PC games since BF2. I don't say this because I hate CoD, I like CoD. I say this because Battlefield, as we know it, is not a CoD killer and that it is now being positioned as one. This means that in order for Battlefield to compete with CoD on the level EA wants it to, they will have to change the game in some significant ways. All the other Battlefield games have been very good games, and critic darlings, but they haven't sold anywhere near the number of copies CoD has. They will not outsell CoD duty by making a better Battlefield game. Will Battlefield 3 be a CoD clone that loses touch with what the Battlefield games are supposed to be about? No it will most likely not, but if EA doesn't see the sales it wants, will BF4, BF5, BF6? Very likely. EA has stated that they want to dethrone CoD and all Battlefield to them is a brand name that already has lots of recognition and if you don't believe me that a company, and developer, would slap a brand name onto a game that goes completely against every thing the series stands for and is directly positioned as a game for the mass market, then just look at BIA: Furious 4.

I don't think that companies "owe" anything to their old fanbase, because Video Games are a business and are trying to make money and games have always been aimed to appeal to the people who buy them, it's just that the market is changing and unfortunately this is a consequence of business.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By yukoasho

The fact of the matter is is that CoD caters to the LCD, I am not saying that if you play CoD you're an idiot, I'm just stating the fact that CoD is a game for the mass market and is designed to cater to the mass market.

Which is a nice, very political way of saying "if you play CoD, you're an idiot."

Now while I surely don't mind people liking one game and disliking another, it's this sort of thumbing-the-nose and looking down that makes the whole of the gaming community look bad.  Well, that and the douchebags that seem to overpopulate nearly every online multiplayer game, but that's another post.  The problem with your line of thinking is that CoD and Battlefield 3 both have their faults - BF3 basically having giant, mostly flat landmasses with a few buildings on the sides, and CoD being a bit too twitch-heavy.  No one game is going to be perfect, but that doesn't mean that there's no depth to the modes or that people who play one game are less capable than those who play another.
    VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @YukoAsho:  I agree I'm not saying that every person who plays CoD are idiots, I don't care what game you play if your a nice person, but a lot  of people are assholes, and are idiots and CoD is a game designed to be simple and to appeal to the widest array of people.  Same logic as you will find a lot of dumb and smart people television, but there will be far less dumb people reading classic literature. Are you an idiot because you watch TV? No, but do more dumb people watch TV than read the Illiad? Yes
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vodun

Oh wow...battlefield hipster...

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ElBarto

The CoD players who spill over will find out that the play style they are used to won't translate well and they will just adapt and learn how Battlefield is played. (Hopefully)

GDGD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GDGD

So console BF3 might become the new TDM FPS game to go to... but true Battlefield fans know PC version is where its at. Ain't gonna be a shortage of Conquest Mode here. 

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @ElBarto: Tell that to BC2 on consoles. I imagine that the majority will find the path of least resistance and that path is sniping or TDM
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Dany

People will learn to play the game and enjoy it.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Twitchey
    @ElBarto said:
    The CoD players who spill over will find out that the play style they are used to won't translate well and they will just adapt and learn how Battlefield is played. (Hopefully)
    I have seen this happen twice. 

A few months ago I convinced my friend to buy BC2 for the PS3. He only played CoD before that. When we first started playing he bitched about it, then he began to enjoy the team work and the chaos. Now all we play is Battlefield, then another friend joined us and instead of bitching at first he jumped right into the team play and hasn't played CoD since. Now we're the Blackhawk Clan and tear shit up in support vehicles and infantry, 
    inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By inkerman

I actually consider myself a middle grounder on the FPS debate. I loath the arcadiness of the CoDs (although I thoroughly enjoyed CoD 2, which is still among the best FPS's I've played), but having said that, I cannot stand the movement mechanics in BF:BC2 or the multiplayer of MoH, they're simply too clanky. I can see where they want to go with them, but we don't yet have the technology to accurately simulate realistic running, especially up inclines. What my dream FPS is the smooth movement of CoD, but the weapons mechanics, level design and destruction of BF.

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ElBarto
    @VictoryBlixt said:
    @ElBarto: Tell that to BC2 on consoles. I imagine that the majority will find the path of least resistance and that path is sniping or TDM
    So my original post was going to be longer and I wrote about how if all else fails they'll probably just play Recon, but when I cut my post down I forgot to write that back in. :\ I don't play on console so fortunately (for me) this isn't an issue. I would sympathize for you about this but I feel I must pity you for playing Battlefield on a console :P
    hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hoossy
    @VictoryBlixt:  

I don't see this happening.  I think it was the game style specifically of CoD that caused the sort of influx of bad sportsmanship.  

I think the class based/vehicle gameplay that BF relies on will weed out any of those commando douche nozzles that try to muscle themselves onto the ...ahem... battlefield. 

That's is one of the major reason BF always clicked with me, even if I got tired of dealing with a certain play-style or a certain group of people on a map, I could always go off and do something else.  Get a vehicle, go sniping, or give support elsewhere.  There isn't that option for flexibility in CoD.  It's all or nothing.  In your face douchebaggery.  BF works because it demands a varied set of play-styles.  Long live it!
    VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @hoossy: I think dumb people, assholes, and children cause most of the problems in any game and if there are more people playing your game then more of them will be dumb, assholes, and children.
    hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hoossy
    @VictoryBlixt:  

meh, I'll gladly take them out.  I'm not worried about it.  You can't pull cheap moves in BF like in CoD and get away with it match after match. 

I'm glad EA and DICE are going for blood.  We get a better product because of it.
    VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @hoossy: We won't get a better Battlefield game if EA wants to beat CoD we will get a game that is a lot more like CoD
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic

It won't beat Call of Duty, thank god for that. 
     Somehow DICE have fooled EA into thinking that Battlefield 3 is, shall we say the words, "noob friendly" where in fact it has a lot of the franchise's legacy in it and a lot of depth. Call of Duty players can't handle depth, they will buy MW 1.3 this year and keep playing it. 
     Believe me, man, we can't get the Call of Duty imbeciles to switch sides even if we pay them. Be glad that they're so depth-resistant. They want a flashy XP counter taking up the upper half of their screen once every 20 seconds, and nothing less.

Now what saddens me is the fact that BF3 failing to beat MW3 will really damage DICE's place in the company and damage EA's faith in the franchise for future releases :( 

@VictoryBlixt said:

So what you could see happen is, on consoles, Battlefield becoming a TDM game and that the vast majority of people playing will play TDM exclusively and the playerbase for Conquest and Rush, dwindle. DICE, and EA, being the businesses they are will in subsequent games cater to their audience and make Battlefield more and more TDM focused ( I wouldn't blame them for doing so, they aren't charities they're businesses.) 
    Sucks for you that the console is the platform of choice for most casuals who don't wanna do anything progressive or useful in a video game.. If you're "hardcore" enough to want a real Battlefield experience, sell your console and buy a PC, they're not that expensive. 
    And no, DICE will never ditch their style and become a TDM developer, no way in hell ;) 

2. "Spillover": If BF3 is wildly popular and these people, who aren't interested in playing as a team or for objectives, simply playing to shoot dudes or for K/D, jump into the objective modes they will ruin the play for people and make playing the game for the objectives to be no fun at all. This is already a huge problem in Battlefield games, and it will only get worse the more popular it is. 
    There are enough people who know how to play Conquest who will fuck up those rotten players and disallow them to make any negative affect on the game
    VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  1. BF3 does have a giant flashy XP counter 2. I agree BF as we know it will not outsell CoD but a game that is very similar to CoD with improvements and minor changes called BF could. 3. DICE will ditch their style and make a game that will sell more if pressured just look at Zipper and Crytek 4. Your last statement may be true on the PC but believe me not on consoles.
    Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pezen

I don't get the debate between the two games, they're more similar than people give them credit for. I am considering switching to Battlefield 3 this fall as my go-to multiplayer shooter just because of bigger maps, that's all. The differences between the games are superficial and negligible.

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @Pezen said:

I don't get the debate between the two games, they're more similar than people give them credit for. I am considering switching to Battlefield 3 this fall as my go-to multiplayer shooter just because of bigger maps, that's all. The differences between the games are superficial and negligible.

I'm really sorry but that statement is born from pure ignorance. Sure they are similar but they are similar in the way that Boxing and MMA are. Superficially they are very similar but if you actually learned about the two you'd realize there are huge differences between the two.
    ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By ChillyUK7

Hopefully the players who are tired of Cod will turn to Battlefield 3 for something new, maybe realize it wasn't really designed for TDM and focus on the larger scale battles with vehichles. Then again this type of player will most likely get BF3 on consoles where the maps size and players are significantly smaller than PC, they may be dissapointed by how it turns out considering how epic the Caspian Border gameplay looked.
    Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pezen

@VictoryBlixt: Pure ignorance? Man, and here I thought I had played both franchises to tell the difference on my own. So then, enlighten me, what is so different about them that's so huge?

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VictoryBlixt
    @Pezen:  Vehicles, Map Size, Player Count, BF has weapon physics CoD is hit scan, Battlefield player characters move slower and take more damage, Conquest, Rush, Classes, Killstreaks, Prestiging, and many more things I'm not thinking of at the moment
    Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pezen

@VictoryBlixt: But to me, most of those are all superficial differences. The two major differences I would point to would be Weapon physics/hit scan and character speed because those make the game handle slightly differently. But conquest vs tdm, vehicles vs no vehicles, classes vs ..classes. It's all superficial preferences. So to me, and I say to me so you do not confuse my post as "fact" because I am stating pure opinion and that's all this is at the end of the day, they are similar enough to where the differences are, as noted, negligible. And thus, I find the debate puzzling. But, perhaps it's just as simple as people taking those differences a lot more seriously than I do.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By scarace360

Dont worry everything will be fine ... for pc

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Heltom92

There is no way in hell that BF3 will sell more than MW3. Sorry it just won't happen. That's not to say BF3 will not be successful, I'm sure it will be but CoD has way more brand recognition and more casual gamers are aware of it.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Slaker117

A potentially interesting discussion, but I really can't see that happening. "Call of Duty" is a brand everyone knows at this point. Even if more and more "core gamers" are tiring of it, the franchise has taken on a life of it's own in the mainstream. And if they get bored of it, they don't move to a competitor, they stop playing games.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Bouke

I´m pretty sure we don´t have to worry about BF3 "beating" Call of Duty. Although i'm a big fan of the Battlefield game i've played only the earlier CoD games (and the CoD4 MW singleplayer), but í am just amazed by how many people keep buying the CoD games (not saying they are bad). Its kind of crazy how many copies CoD sells and we can only imagine what MW3 will do. That said BF3 is probably shaping up to be the best competition CoD has had, but i think most gamers will just decide to go with what their friends are playing; or with what they know.  

If gamers do decide to jump te fence and buy BF3 then i'll see it as a bigger challenge, not something to worry about. As long as i can team up with my friends i'm having fun.
    Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Scrawnto

@Pezen said:

@VictoryBlixt: But to me, most of those are all superficial differences. The two major differences I would point to would be Weapon physics/hit scan and character speed because those make the game handle slightly differently. But conquest vs tdm, vehicles vs no vehicles, classes vs ..classes. It's all superficial preferences. So to me, and I say to me so you do not confuse my post as "fact" because I am stating pure opinion and that's all this is at the end of the day, they are similar enough to where the differences are, as noted, negligible. And thus, I find the debate puzzling. But, perhaps it's just as simple as people taking those differences a lot more seriously than I do.

You may have a valid point hidden away somewhere, but I think your word choice is obscuring it. Superficial and negligible have very specific meanings that don't apply here. I wrote two paragraphs explaining how that is the case, but I cut them. I realized I'm probably alone in caring about accurate word choice.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By swamplord666

honestly the mag thing may have been true at first but now it's different. Most people play domination and play as a team which is awesome! although there is still a legion of snipers who can't play the objective to save their life.

I think all that will happen is like what happens with all mutiplayer shooters: they jump ship for a little while, find out they can't play and succeed in the COD style and leave. I have so many friends who gave up on games like mag or BF because "I killed lotsa guyz but i'm not at da top of da leederbordz. DERP! Y no work?"

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By Seppli
    @VictoryBlixt

Dude - 7+ millions of copies of BF:BC 2 have been sold worldwide. The larger part of those sales were non-veterans. BF2 only sold about half as much as BF:BC 2. Just because there's more players, doesn't mean the game experience is gonna get worse. True, there's more idiots around for sure, but since the community is much larger, there will be more good players in absolute numbers too.

It will be easy to fill up your Battlelog with competent players. I hope it will be just as easy to add friends on Battlelog as it is on PSN and XBL. You'll be playing with competent veterans in no time - all the time. If you stick with favorites servers too, usually you'll get the same quality crowd everytime.

Also - just because somebody plays CoD, doesn't mean he's some kind of mentally challenged deviant retard. Running into those in any game. Way to be a dick to a 15 million strong community. Way to look for some hairbrain excuse to bash-on BF3...
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Seppli
    @Ahmad_Metallic

Since 'Infantry Mode' is confirmed, it is very noob-friendly. The depth of infantry-only combat is limited and very manageable. No matter if TDM or Conquest. If I recall my CoD-experiences right, there's Domination mode which is very similar to Battlefield's Conquest.

BF3 has an extreme range. From infantry only tight 24 player TDM to 64 player Conquest on huge maps with all kinds of vehicles. It's all there. Just play what aspect of the game you enjoy most and ignore the rest (or play some for a change).
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DonPixel
    @Ahmad_Metallic I don't get your rabid hate and agressions for all CoD.

it's very childish and makes you look like prone to black and white facist thinking.. if you go check a bit of psycology that's also a characteristic of insecure weak minded people
    JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JerichoBlyth

There's no battle going on between the two if they are released in two seperate months.

EA chickened out.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DonPixel
    @VictoryBlixt I think you are falling into a lot of cliches, any decent shooter has the potential for teamwork CoD, DoD, Cs, Mag, etc.. Personally I've play Battlefield sereies the most, yet I used to clan battles in Modern Warfare 2 - with teamspeak and an organized group teamwork is as intense and satysfaying as any e-sport out there.

I can say the same for the class based squad combat of DoD or the intense yeling needed for Cs pro ... Is up to the players to do the teamwork in any game really.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DonPixel

And BTW I also think you guys are mistaken Reward Conditioning for "Teamwork" in the battlefield series, My dog would also sit in the flag to death if I give him +150 food

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@DonPixel said:

And BTW I also think you guys are mistaken Reward Conditioning for "Teamwork" in the battlefield series, My dog would also sit in the flag to death if I give him +150 food

So true.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Seppli
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@DonPixel said:

So true.

I don't care if somebody repairs my tank because he genuinely wants to do 'teamwork' or because he wants them juicy points. Either way, I get supported.

People are inherently selfish. If gamedesign doesn't direct that selfishness into teamwork, what good is your gamedesign then? If you want Videogames to teach self-reflection and discipline, I think you've got the wrong idea. In this case - gamedesign is about our basest wants and wonts and how to design mechanics feeding these, whilst directing us to being part of something bigger than us - a team.

I expect players to suck. Suck at the game at large. Suck at specific skill. Suck in every aspect of it. You're being condescending on what could make the suckiest player ever do something that doesn't suck. That dude might not do it for the 'right' reasons, but he's doing the right thing non-the-less. Why is that a bad thing? Way to be a snobbish douche.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MeierTheRed

Sick and tired of people measuring these games against each other. Will MW3 sell more than BF3, yes at least if  you ask me. Will BF3 review higher than MW3 also yes. And even if so, doesn't mean jack shit, people will play and enjoy them respectably.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By penguindust
    @VictoryBlixt:  Interesting post.  I like the way you think and how you pose your arguments.  Followed. 

As to the subject, I can't really say myself since I tend to stick to single-player campaigns primarily for some of the reasons you outlined when discussing COD.  Well, that and I suck at all these games in competitive play and feel like I am a drag on whichever team I wind up on.  I'm the online equivalent of the last kid picked for dodgeball.  It would seem however that people who do play these games tend to migrate to whatever is the most popular, so if BF3 takes that lead, then a lot of folks from COD will go there.  One of the main reasons people buy certain games on a specific console is because that's where all their friends are.  If all your friends have switched to BF3 then that's what you'll buy.  I don't believe that BF3 will outsell MW3 this fall, but I do expect it to do far better than EA's previous attempt, Medal of Honor. 
    ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ChillyUK7
    @DonPixel said:

While you do have a point in that I've always felt that you can have teamwork in any game if your team is communicating whereas passive 'Teamwork' which you mentioned in Battlefield can promote more strategies isn't in and of itself real teamwork. However if you removed that +150 food reward there is still the simple goal of winning a match which will result in people sitting on a flag without instant rewards.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @DonPixel said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic I don't get your rabid hate and agressions for all CoD. it's very childish and makes you look like prone to black and white facist thinking.. if you go check a bit of psycology that's also a characteristic of insecure weak minded people
    .. what hate?
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Slaker117
    @pornstorestiffi said:
    Sick and tired of people measuring these games against each other. Will MW3 sell more than BF3, yes at least if  you ask me. Will BF3 review higher than MW3 also yes. And even if so, doesn't mean jack shit, people will play and enjoy them respectably.
    But how can I enjoy my game if I know that there are other people enjoying a different game? Don't they know that can only be one good thing at a time?
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Potter9156

The superiority complex some BF fans have is endlessly entertaining. It's as if their beloved game is a work of art to be treasured, and only they can appreciate and understand the seemingly endless depth and complexity that the lowly cod and console peasants can only dream to understand. In reality, BF is just another shooter, just like every other shooter. But with some classes and vehicles. I love BF, but sometimes the fans are just pathetic with their false sense of superiority, and are arguably more annoying than your average XBL 12 year old.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Seppli
    @Potter9156 said:

The superiority complex some BF fans have is endlessly entertaining. It's as if their beloved game is a work of art to be treasured, and only they can appreciate and understand the seemingly endless depth and complexity that the lowly cod and console peasants can only dream to understand. In reality, BF is just another shooter, just like every other shooter. But with some classes and vehicles. I love BF, but sometimes the fans are just pathetic with their false sense of superiority, and are arguably more annoying than your average XBL 12 year old.

You can say the same thing about Street Fighter. It's just another Fighting game. Yet if you care to peel-off the layers and master new depths, they are there. Not all games have these layers. The skill gap between master and newb can be gargantuan. Battlefield certainly does have a sheer endless amount of layers to it. Just because you have a shallow relationship with Battlefield doesn't mean it's a shallow game.

But yeah - the PC crowd can be aggrivating indeed, that's where most of the perceived 'BF superiority complex' comes from. BF3 is the current messiah of PC gaming. Deal with it.
    ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ChillyUK7
    @Seppli said:
    @Potter9156 said:

You can say the same thing about Street Fighter. It's just another Fighting game. Yet if you care to peel-off the layers and master new depths, they are there. Not all games have these layers. The skill gap between master and newb can be gargantuan. Battlefield certainly does have a sheer endless amount of layers to it. Just because you have a shallow relationship with Battlefield doesn't mean it's a shallow game.  But yeah - the PC crowd can be aggrivating indeed, that's where most of the perceived 'BF superiority complex' comes from. BF3 is the current messiah of PC gaming. Deal with it.

Ogres have layers! Onions have layers! You get it? We both have layers...
    Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Raineko

Reminds me of KZ2. I always wanted to play the tactical objective modes but everyone only had TDM servers.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By napalm
    @Seppli said:
    Deal with it.
    Putting this at the end of your argument automatically voids your entire post.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#48  Edited By big_jon

In order for Battlefield 3 to "beat" the Call of Duty franchise it would have to become the best selling game ever. This will not Happen, Call of Duty out sells Halo on its own platform people!

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By StingerMK2

"if Battlefield beats call of duty..."

it wont, simple as that. while battlefield is by far my favourite shooter on the market, it doesnt stand a chance of "beating" Call Of Duty, both games will sell extremely well, but there is no way in hell battlefield will sell more copies than call of duty,

even if it does, you wont even notice the "immature" COD crowd coming across to battlefield because of the way the squad systems work, and fuck it, play with friends its better that way anyway

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DonPixel
    @Seppli If you red the post previous to that one (sry iphone at airport here can't. edit) I was just stating true teamwork can be achieve in most FPS, So I don't get where the snoby douchebagery of Battlefield players comes from.

Sounds to me like the kind of possers will bash CoD players for ruining the industry, but will not buy Red Orchestra 2, Bastion, Eye Divine Cybermancy, etc.. You know because he's to bussy Grinding one multiplayer whichever he choses

So what's the diference? also you mistaken sir Harcore PC players are betting more into Red Orchestra 2 than BF3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.