Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Kotick vs Riccitiello

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9ee8b9b3047
    deactivated-5e9ee8b9b3047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

EA and Activision are really going after each others necks from what I can make out of this recent article by game informer. 

Electronic Arts and Activision have been trading words before the November showdown of Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Now EA's CEO John Riccitiello has poured more gas on the fire.

This latest round started when Kotick was apparently asked by Reuters what he thought of EA's Battlefield 3 (shown above).

"I can’t objectively tell you what I think of other products until I see them. Battlefield I’ve only seen on a PC and nobody’s seen it on a console yet. Most of our consumers play games on a console. Until I see it on a console, I wouldn’t be objective on commenting on it."

It's not like he didn't try, either. Kotick was reportedly barred from seeing Battlefield 3 at E3.

Electronic Arts' CEO John Riccitiello fired back:

"It’s the beginning of the war and (Kotick) recognizes they’re going to be threatened. We’re going to have a clash of the titans this fall. The very fact that he’s trying to cast doubt on our game is a perfect example of how we got his goat. In terms of where this goes, we think our PS3 game is better than their Xbox game and our PC game is better than their PC game. If that’s all he’s got to say, it’s obviously going to evaporate as we launch all three. If you went to our press conference, you saw the PS3 footage and the Xbox footage. If Bobby thinks that is PC footage, he’s in real trouble."

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cheesebob

I would pay vast sums of money for a wrestling game in the style of WWE Allstars with those two as characters.

David Jaffe would be unlockable.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By EuanDewar

Wait, which bits were PS3 and Xbox footage?

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Gabriel

Riccitello has lost it.

mutley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By mutley

Riccitello is Al Pachino.

In an interview he was saying that " We want a big slice of what Activision is making and knock it down a couple of notches."

Translation- "We're ganna get a few guys whacked and totally fuck em over"

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Donos

Kotick's response sounds perfectly reasonable. I would say Riccitello should calm down, but it sounds like much of his career is riding on this game so I guess he can't.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@RedDragon123 said:

Riccitello is Al Pachino.

In an interview he was saying that " We want a big slice of what Activision is making and knock it down a couple of notches."

Translation- "We're ganna get a few guys whacked and totally fuck em over"

"Activision is a pussy, and it's gonna get fucked?"

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Gabriel said:

Riccitello has lost it.

I must agree.. EA are pushing it and trying to get themselves killed in a business drive by 
     The over-confidence in BF3 over MW3 and the stupendous cash spent on it, the whole Origin dealio, not being able to buy the new Star Wars MMO anywhere other than Origin... 

This is also on-topic : 

I laughed so hard my sides made sounds
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pie
    @EuanDewar said:

I too would like to know this. They were playing the tank bit on damn PCs
    commodore64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By commodore64

@Cheesebob said:

I would pay vast sums of money for a wrestling game in the style of WWE Allstars with those two as characters. David Jaffe would be unlockable.

David would have the word "fuck" bouncing around as a powerup.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Pie said:
    @EuanDewar said:

None hss been shown. The very first glimpse at the console footage will be this thursday if i'm not mistaken (can't be arsed looking up the tweet)
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By benjaebe

I like Riccitiello. He's done a good job of fostering some innovation within EA. Without him we probably wouldn't have seen Dead Space, Mirror's Edge or some of the other games that they've put out recently. You can't blame him for pushing hard on this - Activision has definitely been losing steam and ever since the IW debacle he can smell blood in the water.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Donos

@benjaebe: Maybe it's his nose bleeding.

'twas perfect.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EuanDewar

@Ahmad_Metallic: But the direct quote is "If you went to our press conference, you saw the PS3 footage and the Xbox footage". So then which bits from the press conference were console footage?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Seppli
    @Pie said:
    @EuanDewar said:

Apparently some of the 'Engine Trailer' footage or all of it was PS3. Don't worry, there's gonna be a proper console version reveal this coming Thursday, at least that's the semi-official buzz on twitter.
    Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Sogeman
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Azteck

Kind of a weird reply but since Kotick is on the other side of it I am down.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mighty

I'm buying BF3, and I think that lots of others will too.  

After seeing MW3, well, I just don't want the same game over again.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @EuanDewar said:

@Ahmad_Metallic: But the direct quote is "If you went to our press conference, you saw the PS3 footage and the Xbox footage". So then which bits from the press conference were console footage?

Well there's been speculation that the 49 second MP trailer was of the console version because it didn't look nearly as refined and cutting edge as the PC footage does 

so maybe that.
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@benjaebe said:

I like Riccitiello. He's done a good job of fostering some innovation within EA. Without him we probably wouldn't have seen Dead Space, Mirror's Edge or some of the other games that they've put out recently. You can't blame him for pushing hard on this - Activision has definitely been losing steam and ever since the IW debacle he can smell blood in the water.

Yeah ... im not taking sides on the whole BF3 vs. MW3 argument between those two (since im biased) but I like him as the CEO of EA ... at least they have been trying to push out some original IP's and not only sequel everything to death they own like Activision is doing.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Beaudacious

Riccitello is way to excited, and hopeful.  Yes more people will buy bf3 then bad company 2, but mw3 will still dominate in sales. Bf3 will be too complicated a game for the average cod player who want to simply shoot stuff. They don't want to have to think about, suppression, commanders, vehicles, destruction all they want is their COD. Also Riccitello's job is probably riding on BF3 and SW:TOR.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Enigma777

Don't worry, we'll know how bad (or good) the game is when the beta comes out. It will make or break the game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seppli
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Gabriel said:

Riccitello has lost it.

I must agree.. EA are pushing it and trying to get themselves killed in a business drive by 
     The over-confidence in BF3 over MW3 and the stupendous cash spent on it, the whole Origin dealio, not being able to buy the new Star Wars MMO anywhere other than Origin...

• I strongly disagree. EA has to attack. You can't be Electronic Arts and not be going after CoD's and WoW's respective marketshares. Activision's oppressive control of these markets cannot go unchallenged. Right now, all the stars align in favor of EA and DICE's Battlefield 3. It isn't an option not to go balls-out. 
    • Same deal with SW:TOR. The MMORPG market is about to get a whole lot more dynamic as WoW's marketshare is in a constant decline for the first time since its release. Whilst I'm not yet sure if SW:TOR has longterm staying power, it certainly is EA's best shot at seizing a chunk of WoWs marketshare - at the very least temporarily. Anybody even remotely into MMORPGs will pick it up for sure.
    • Then there's the rebranded EA Download Manager. Obviously EA has to actively pursue the direct digital distribution market more aggressively. Every sale EA takes away from Steam onto their Origin service earns them like 10$ more, which otherwise would go to Valve paying for the Steam service fee. Obviously they have to be more competitive.

• Riccitiello is awesome. EA hasn't been as good as it is now in years. We currently get a ton of great core games out of EA. EA's having a great fiscal year thus far. No other publisher has as strong a lineup for the holiday season and beyond.
    • Kotick clearly is a very smart businessman. I just hate his blabbermouth. Why tell us all those outright offensive sounding business mantras and philosophies? If he'd just shut his trap, be the man behind the curtain, instead of going around ruining my perception of the gaming industry by showing-off his 'business-shark' shit; I'd not be hatin' on him.
    EA's business strategy is sound and I predict they'll be well off and on the road to success in 2011 well into 2012. Riccitiello's stewardship is tight. Haters be hatin'.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Donos

@Seppli: I'd like to know what data is backing your opinions. Why should EA push into the modern FPS and fantasy MMO markets when it sounds like those are already oversaturated, as opposed to doing something else. Hasn't EA been bleeding money since Riccitiello's new IP rush a few years ago?

Also, the things your complaining about from Kotick were (to my knowledge) statements to businessmen, never to the public. You only hear what he says if you try to find out. On the other hand, EA in general seems bent on yelling about Battlefield 3 and Activision to anyone who'll listen (and some people who won't), and it's getting annoying.

Maybe what you're saying is right, but it contradicts what I knew of the situation and I'd like to know why.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seppli
    @Donos said:

@Seppli: I'd like to know what data is backing your opinions. Why should EA push into the modern FPS and fantasy MMO markets when it sounds like those are already oversaturated, as opposed to doing something else. Hasn't EA been bleeding money since Riccitiello's new IP rush a few years ago?

Also, the thing's your complaining about from Kotick were (to my knowledge) statements to businessmen, never to the public. You only hear what he says if you try to find out. On the other hand, EA in general seems set on yelling about Battlefield 3 and Activision to anyone who'll listen (and some people who won't), and it's getting annoying.

Maybe what you're saying is right, but it contradicts what I knew of the situation and I'd like to know why.

EA's just had their most successful spring fiscal quarter ever. All the investments and long-term strategies made back when Riccitiello started out begin to pay off. They'll be going from losing 500 millions in 2010 to making a solid profit in 2011 - for certain.

They're touting their horn with BF3. Rightfully so. They've been putting more money into research and developement than Activision. Cultivating a more tech-driven and unified development environment. Making all of EA's developers work together on tools for their proprietary engine. They are developing an EA software technolgy platform. Increasing creative synergies. The tech-side of EA games developement seems to become a whole lot more of a singular unit instead of a bunch of splinter cells doing their own shit. It's likely they'll gain '3rd party software technology indipendence' within the next couple of years.

If I read the signs right, EA is the only publisher truely growing on a 'corporate culture' level right now. Like they're back on track to realizing the initial 'Electronic Arts Mission Statement'. Now if only they'd rein is all the marketing BS they're pulling. EA's got some serious control issues. Control freaks can be shitty for sure.

Google keywords like 'fiscal year' and shit to back-up my claims. Too lazy to do so. The story broke around the time Crysis 2 topped the UK sales charts.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Seppli

EA's Mission State from way back when...

"We are an association of electronic artists who share a common goal. We want to fulfill the potential of personal computing." 

Right now, I'm feeling it. EA's back on track. Riccitiello and his officers in charge definitely are a good influence on EA corporate.
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Seppli said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Gabriel said:

Riccitello has lost it.

• I strongly disagree. EA has to attack. You can't be Electronic Arts and not be going after CoD's and WoW's respective marketshares. Activision's oppressive control of these markets cannot go unchallenged. Right now, all the stars align in favor of EA and DICE's Battlefield 3. It isn't an option not to go balls-out.
    • Same deal with SW:TOR. The MMORPG market is about to get a whole lot more dynamic as WoW's marketshare is in a constant decline for the first time since its release. Whilst I'm not yet sure if SW:TOR has longterm staying power, it certainly is EA's best shot at seizing a chunk of WoWs marketshare - at the very least temporarily. Anybody even remotely into MMORPGs will pick it up for sure.
    • Then there's the rebranded EA Download Manager. Obviously EA has to actively pursue the direct digital distribution market more aggressively. Every sale EA takes away from Steam onto their Origin serive earns them like 10$ more, which otherwise would go to Valve paying for the Steam service fee. Obviously they have to be more competitive.

• Riccitiello is awesome. EA hasn't been as good as it is now in years. We get a ton of great core games this year out of EA. EA's having a great fiscal year thus far. No other publisher has as strong a lineup for the holiday season and beyond.
    • Kotick clearly is a very smart businessman. I just hate his blabbermouth. Why tell us all those outright offensive sounding business mantras and philosophies? If he'd just shut his trap, be the man behind the curtain, instead of going around ruining my perception of the gaming industry by showing-off his 'business-shark' shit.
    EA's business strategy is sound and I predict they'll be well off and on the road to success in 2011 well into 2012. Riccitiellos stewardship is tight. Haters be hatin'.

Unfortunately, the way TOR is looking I have no faith that it will make a dent in WoW's domination of the MMO market. I was stoked for it for a good 2 or 3 years but now...I'm doubting it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Seppli
    @MariachiMacabre

I'm certain it will sell very well in the short term. I'm just as doubtful as you are about its longterm attractivity. If the class-specific/faction-specific storytelling holds up, it definitely might hook me through to its first expansion. If it ain't SW:TOR, it's Guild Wars 2 and TERA and so forth. WoW is in decline and that won't change. Not saying SW:TOR will be the sole benefactor, but there is MMORPG marketshares up for grabs and EA will do their darndest to win as much of it as it can.

While WoW won't die a death of a 1000 cuts (it will always be a viable business), it will lose marketshare to its competitors. RIFT already showed how starved the MMORPG community is for 'something that ain't WoW'. If SW:TOR fails, it's certainly not due to bad timing. Now's the best and first real opportunity in years to capture a seizable part of WoW's audience with another MMORPG for keeps.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By big_jon

To be fair, I want to see console footage too and the game come out soon, we still having seen any, seems odd to me...

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jimbo

I don't see that EA have any choice but to be bullish about Battlefield 3 and TOR, whether they believe it or not. I don't think they need to 'topple' CoD and WoW to be regarded as a success, but if you're working on either of those games (or even a consumer considering buying either of those games), you don't want to hear EA management coming out and acting like they're content to just be a distant second to Activision in these spaces. You want them to act like they have full confidence in their team, in their product, in their ability to sell that product and in their ability to go toe-to-toe with anybody. You want Churchill, not Chamberlain.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Aeterna

@Sogeman said:

@EuanDewar said:

He either meant that they'll all look the same or he meant 0:45 and 0:52 in this trailer (lower right corner) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQTC3NXxR5M

Wow, I totally didn't see that change to PS3 when watching it initially.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TwoOneFive

bunch a rich nerds pretending to fight with each other. theyre both just trying to get more attention for their games and we all play into it

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Alexander

This "War of Words" seems almost entirely one sided.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By nintendoeats

*sticks head through the door* Bobby Kotick is wrong about whatever it is. *leaves*

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Seppli
    @TwoOneFive said:
    bunch a rich nerds pretending to fight with each other. theyre both just trying to get more attention for their games and we all play into it
    If you got some scratch on the side, you can wager some on any contestant to spice shit up. It's getting real up in here.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Alexander said:
    This "War of Words" seems almost entirely one sided.
    I agree to that aswell. Activision never took shots at EA, and the Kotick statement in the OP is very practical and respectful. 

As much as i love DICE, and respect EA as a publisher that brought me alot of new-IP joy, those two are the pathetic ones in this case. Always taking shots at COD in their games, talking trash, and being totally ignored by Acti/IW, since the latter are too busy being number 1
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By project343

"Bobby," haha. I love it.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @nintendoeats said:

*sticks head through the door* Bobby Kotick is wrong about whatever it is. *leaves*

Come back.

Robert is being pretty straightforward with his comment, I don't know why Ricotello has to respond so harshly. 
    I love EA, they destroyed the first half of 2011 with Dead Space 2, Dragon Age, Bulletstorm, Crysis 2, Shift 2 and they're on pace for a great holiday showing in terms of games, but this constant jabbing at Activision is making them look bad. It feels like Ricotello is trying to be remembered in case the +200 million dollars EA has spent on Battlefield and the Infinite amount of monayse they spent on that MMO doesn't amount to sales and he ends up losing his job.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Brendan

It looks to me like Kotick made a completely reasonable comment, and Riccietello made an aggressive comment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.