Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Rifles, Carabines, PDW's

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Beaudacious

So I've been only playing support this whole beta, then decided to try out the other classes for while. To my surprise rifles carabines, pdw's require absolutely no aiming beyond point in the general direction of the target. First 3 bullets from a rifle or carabine is insta kill, now I know why I see assaults running around out of cover all willy nilly. Cause if they see someone, that person is dead. Makes me feel like support is useless when I can be standing in front of someone in iron sights shoot off 15 bullets form a lmg, and they still live. While rambo runs around just pointing and killing with no effort.

It seems the cone of fire on lmg's is as big and random as can be while rifles, carabines, pdw all spray in straight lines. I don't mind the intense recoil on lmg's but when I have to hit someone with 15-20 bullets form a fully automatic heavy machine-gun, I'd rather pick up an ump and just hold down fire , watch everything in front of me insta die.

I understand they had to nerf lmg bullet dmg to compensate for the giant clip size, but I have to be stationary with a bipod to really take advantage, or have the forward grip accessory while crouched. Being locked in with a lmg bipod is a huge sacrifice in mobility, especially when an assault can prefire a corner an insta kill me without aiming. I agree with intense recoil, but when am able to control the beast without a bipod I'd like my gun to actually do dmg, cause whats the point of low dmg and high recoil?

Anyone else agree? I've found my self using a shotgun now since that appears to be more consistent then a lmg, who would of thought pellets fly straighter then lmg bullets.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Azteck

Kinda felt the same thing when I went from Assault to Support. Feels kinda eh

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By artgarcrunkle

BF2 and BC2 had pretty crappy weapon balance, why would Bad Companyfield 3 be different?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

I get way more kills with my LMG than I do with other classes, so I'm not too worried about it.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thehexeditor

When I go support, I lay down insane amounts of covering fire. It isn't efficient, but it's fun to make people's screens blur to hell and deny them from being able to travel past my line of fire. Taking advantage of that suppression system is fun.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't the whole point of the belt-fed LMGs in this game to lay down a ton of suppressive/covering fire? The other support weapons (IAR 27, RPK) seem to be about equal to assault rifles with a slightly larger magazine from what I've played of them (granted it was a short time of playing with them).

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By DystopiaX

carabines.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Three0neFive

It does seem kind of backwards, but I wouldn't exactly say the LMGs are at a disadvantage - hell, with 1-2-round bursts while deployed I can pretty much snipe people from across the map. Combine that with extended mag for a fucking ridiculous amount of sniping and/or suppressive fire and you've got a helluva class.

It's all about sticking to your weapon's strengths.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rubberluffy

I caught a guy offguard from about 5 feet away with a LMG (m249) and he still killed me.  It felt pretty bullshit.  I've had a few other similar experiences.  I do like support/LMG though, I just feel like the spray/accuracy whatever could use some...tweaking.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Donos

I pretty much disagree with everything the OP says here. In my experience, it takes about 1/2 a magazine (bullets fired, not necessarily hits) to spray-kill someone with any weapon while on the move at non-pont-blank range. Shotguns, that's 2 shots. PDWs and pistols, maybe 10, 13 - 17 for carbines and assault rifles, 20+ for LMGs. Considering the refire rates of these weapons, notice how lighter weapons meant for movement kill faster at short range while moving. Sounds good to me.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Wuddel

I most use PDWs. They are certainly not as powerful as rifles/carabines. Also the damage drop off over distance is much worse.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

UMP-45... best gun in the beta imo.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Wuddel

@Marz said:

UMP-45... best gun in the beta imo.

Yeah, Just unlocked it, and I love it again. I basically use it in every game that has it. The ironsights are a bit obstructed, though.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By mosdl

@rubberluffy said:

I caught a guy offguard from about 5 feet away with a LMG (m249) and he still killed me. It felt pretty bullshit. I've had a few other similar experiences. I do like support/LMG though, I just feel like the spray/accuracy whatever could use some...tweaking.

There is a reason its called a beta. And like all shooters, things will get rebalanced with patches.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By ericdrum

I've used the M249 more than any gun so far in the beta and it has been great for suppression and kills. The rifles give me more range, but the M249 indoors has been great. Use the right tool for the right job. I don't see ditching my support role any time soon.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Sooty

@Beaudacious said:

First 3 bullets from a rifle or carabine is insta kill

We are clearly playing a different game.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By mikemcn

I say that we shouldn't form opinions about weapon damage until they fix the hit detection. If they fix it that is.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there's a lot of problems (reported & acknowledged) with weapon damage, hit detection etc.

easily fixed really

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bwmcmaste

@Sooty said:

@Beaudacious said:

First 3 bullets from a rifle or carabine is insta kill

We are clearly playing a different game.

Indeed, I played several hours as assault and I would like to know how one might find themselves in possession of such a glorious means of ballistic conveyance. I found the recoil to be utterly excessive on the AR/LMGs; the carbines felt like they were mounted on pogo sticks, and the LMGs were fairly disappointing as well. This is all in comparison to BC2, which - despite it's manifold flaws - maintained a fairly comfortable sensation of recoil.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AlexW00d

All I know is I have been one-shotted by UMPs more times than I can physically count.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@AlexW00d said:

All I know is I have been one-shotted by UMPs more times than I can physically count.

I've been one-shotted by BB guns in this beta, so it doesnt make a difference really

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Beaudacious

@Sooty:@bwmcmaste: I've been rolling ~24/2 kd's with the ump and m4 on a consistent basis. So idk what game you fella's are playing but I'm intsa killing anything i see.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Clonedzero

the UMP is disgustingly over powered.

want to go 20ish+ with only like 5 deaths? easy! sprint up as far as you can, drop a spawn beacon (as recon) then just go around spawn killing. its so easy its gross. i felt bad doing it so i stopped but people are doing this all over the place.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Donos

@Clonedzero: I do that a fair bit (though I avoid spawns) and yeah, it is effective, but I feel like people will learn how to deal with it. Spawn beacons are pretty damn easy to find if you actually pay attention and know what they look/sound like.

nickb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nickb64

I really like the default US IAR or whatever it's called. Didn't care for the SAW. In fairness, the gun I have the most kills with is the PP2000 thanks to the flash suppressor. It's great for the first stage of Metro, makes it super useful to hide and defend point A.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Bouke

@nickb64: Yeah i've also had a lot of fun with that PP-2000, its accurate and doesn't have a ton of recoil.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By uberexplodey

instakiling carabinees plus shottygunz

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By awe_stuck

M4 all the way. its like a sundae buffet when u start unlocking stuff. I'm like 1 kill away from ump45 but havent played since monday :(

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ben_H

I use the only thing that I find works, shotguns since they kill them before their 3 shots land.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.