Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

The State of the Battlefield Franchise: Bad Company 2

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

Edited By Jayross

Bad Company 2

A few week ago, Onslaught Mode was announced, essentially a horde mode but with objectives and vehicles. It will allow four people to squad up and compete on the leaderboards for the fastest times. It seems to be only for consoles for now, and has been confirmed to be paid DLC. I have no idea how well they expect this to sell, but I hope they aren't expecting MW2 Stimulus Package kind of sales.  

Multiplayer maps clearly sell well for games that have a dedicated following. While a map pack for Bad Company 2 won't sell as many digital copies as MW2, I have a feeling they would certainly sell more than the Onslaught gamemode. 

However, senior producer Patrick Bach stated that DICE never wants to charge for new BC2 maps. A representative for DICE said "Unless they aren't standard maps we won't charge [for them]." 

EA, however wasn't able to promise that, saying "We can't comment on the future, but we'll have more details on our DLC plans shortly." Those "DLC plans" seem to be the Onslaught gamemode. 

So we can't rule out a map pack just yet, and hopefully DICE will finish unlocking the maps for all gamemodes with the VIP system. The Bad Company 1 maps are great, and I know a lot of hardcore Battlefield fans would be more than willing to pay a few bucks for them. Harvest Day and Oasis are great maps, and the close-quarters ones will be a nice change of pace as well. 

Next up: Battlefield 3.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jayross

Bad Company 2

A few week ago, Onslaught Mode was announced, essentially a horde mode but with objectives and vehicles. It will allow four people to squad up and compete on the leaderboards for the fastest times. It seems to be only for consoles for now, and has been confirmed to be paid DLC. I have no idea how well they expect this to sell, but I hope they aren't expecting MW2 Stimulus Package kind of sales.  

Multiplayer maps clearly sell well for games that have a dedicated following. While a map pack for Bad Company 2 won't sell as many digital copies as MW2, I have a feeling they would certainly sell more than the Onslaught gamemode. 

However, senior producer Patrick Bach stated that DICE never wants to charge for new BC2 maps. A representative for DICE said "Unless they aren't standard maps we won't charge [for them]." 

EA, however wasn't able to promise that, saying "We can't comment on the future, but we'll have more details on our DLC plans shortly." Those "DLC plans" seem to be the Onslaught gamemode. 

So we can't rule out a map pack just yet, and hopefully DICE will finish unlocking the maps for all gamemodes with the VIP system. The Bad Company 1 maps are great, and I know a lot of hardcore Battlefield fans would be more than willing to pay a few bucks for them. Harvest Day and Oasis are great maps, and the close-quarters ones will be a nice change of pace as well. 

Next up: Battlefield 3.
    DR0KZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DR0KZ

Great post! 

Really hope that one day we will get new maps, and i don't think people mind paying a couple bucks for it either.  I think most people saw right trough the VIP sham from the get-go and are just frustrated by the slow unlocking of more maps. Not sure why this was done, probebly to slowly saturate the players with new stuff, In wich case they did the opposite and bored everyone with a glaring lack of maps to begin with.

Also it feels like that new co-op mode should be free, i mean...most games have a co-op/horde mode with the game. It's just a feature that comes with it, not something that should be paid for, especially not if you are doing it on the same damn maps we have been playing for months already. Feels abit like you are supposed to pay for something you already paid for.

Regardless, the BC1 maps could just be brushed up and put in BC2 but some actual new maps would be favourable. 

That said, i really hope DICE steps it up abit with their games, they are still great developers but either they or EA do stuff that really makes the world boggle their heads.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MrSnow
    @Jayross: battlefield 3 is set when
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jayross
    @MrSnow: I would guess in modern times, like 2015. 

But again, we have no details at all. I have a post coming up about Battlefield later today.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.