Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield Play4Free

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Apr 04, 2011

This spiritual successor to the free-to-play competitive online cartoon shooter, Battlefield Heroes. It will feature maps from Battlefield 2 and the classes and items from Battlefield: Bad Company 2. You will be able to level up and buy weapons using in-game or out-of-game cash.

The Open Beta went live today. Whats your thoughts and opinions ?

Avatar image for deathmachine117
    Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Deathmachine117

I thought it looked nice for a Browser Based Game but I hate the system implemented where you rent guns. I just dont believe its worth your time if you dont get to keep the gun. Also been getting some latency issues but I dont know whether thats because I am in Europe or theres just a lack of servers.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By NickL

I'll definitely try this when i get some free time.... what do you mean by renting guns though?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

It's just BF2 with some BC2 improvements.  I had it since Feb, and I like Heroes more.  If I want BF2 or BC2 I can do that.  

But it's a good way to get Veteran Status up for longtime BF fans.

Avatar image for deathmachine117
    Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Deathmachine117

@NickL:  I havent played it for long but it seems to be when you have enough game credits or whatever they are called in game  
    you rent the guns for a day , three days or I think seven days. Then I assume the lock again and you cant use them.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Rockanomics

I'm fine with them making you pay for extra class slots, but the fact that I can't delete one of mine to switch it out is a pain in the ass. 

First round I played was pretty good but every one after that sucked big time.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By NickL
    @Deathmachine117: As long as its not too hard to get game credits that could be fine, when i play an FPS online i usually switch guns pretty often anyways...
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

I downloaded it the other day, they were giving the keys out like crazy, they sent me like 10 to give away. 
    But I couldn't play for longer than 15 minutes, the community was already full of immature idiots. :(

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By infininja

I tried it once during the closed beta. I don't think I want to try again.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By warxsnake

If there's no way to AT LEAST pick the region in which it takes you into a server, yeah... 

Tired of getting thrown into Brazilian servers and I'm in Montreal. 

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Marz

It plays like a streamlined BF2 with interface tweaks.    It's fun, but then you get to the part where you need gold currency to get stuff you want :\

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By kalmis

Really liked th Battlefield Heroes concept but the excessive buyable content kind of ruined it. Not sure if this will be any better.  The renting mechanism sounds bit odd. Anyway will still give this a shot

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Donos

I tried this game out, and it seems pretty good, at least till Battlefield 3 comes out. Playing from Toronto I never had any latency. Not being able to switch classes in-game, or all four at all without buying is FUCKED, but whatever. There are at least plenty of anti-armor options around the maps to keep vehicles balanced when engineers aren't available. 

As for the money systems, here's how it works:

By playing the game, you earn silver credits, which are used to rent weapons and equipment other than your starting ones. They can be rented in increments of one to three days. I'm a pretty decent player, and I earned enough point to unlock a weapon for a day in one round.

You can purchase gold credits (BF's, whatever that means) in a similar way to Microsoft Points. These can rent weapons for longer periods of time, or purchase them for permanent use. You can also purchase cloths/hats/vests that don't affect gameplay, and buy xp or credit boosts which make you earn more for a period of time.

By playing the game, you earn XP which allows you to rank up, earning points to put into an unlock tree for your character's class. I play Assault, so I can dump points into, say, grenades to get more grenages, or awareness to give me an indicator of where I'm being shot from. You have to put a point into planes and helicopters to unlock the ability to pilot planes and helicopters, which I think is a smart move.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.