Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Betrayer

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Mar 24, 2014

A black-and-white, first-person horror game set in colonial America. It is the debut project of Blackpowder Games, an indie studio composed of ex-Monolith developers.

Soooo...has anybody bought it?

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I think the game looks pretty cool but, since it's just Early Access, it's very hard to get some legit information on the game (that's one reason why I think GB should do QL on Early Access games). Is it good? What is it exactly?

Has anybody here bought it and can "recommand" it? The steam forums just seem to consist of a bunch of "I want color in the game" and "Hey, look at my cool Youtube channel" threads which are not that helpful.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By CoinMatze

@abendlaender: Hey, I'm six weeks late. That's okay, right? Betrayer is on sale this week with one third off and I bought it because someone on the Steam forums was shouting the magic words "dark souls dark souls!" I had to wade through a lot of garbage to find any useful information on there.

No Caption Provided

I only played two hours of it but I'm really liking it so far. The game tosses you into its world without much explanation. You get a map that isn't showing your location and a compass at the top of the screen that I think you can disable in the menu. The first area is a just a linear path with some very light tutorializing and story set-up but after that it becomes a little more open. It's not that hard to find your way but it's still nice not to constantly get hit over the head with a mission marker.

The combat is mostly ranged weapons focused. There's a button for a quick melee attack but I'm yet to kill an enemy with it. So far it's been all bows and tomahawks for me. There are guns but they take ages to reload and make a lot of noise which is important because you're going to be sneaking a lot. Your character is very fragile. It takes maybe three or four arrows to kill you and I died every time an enemy got close. You lose all your money when you die but you can do a corpse run to recover it and that's the most dark soulsian it's been so far. I haven't found a good use for the money other than buying better weapons.

I interacted with two other characters. Most of the story is conveyed through letters and diary entries. After solving a "puzzle" I saw a dark, ghostly silhouette and I stopped playing right there.

"Come right here! We've got yer color and everything!"

The developers responded to the color criticism by putting a saturation slider in the menu. Now you can make it look like this:

I think the black and white looks spectacular. Important objects and enemies have a red glow.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@coinmatze: Game looks neat! I wonder why they even added the saturation thing though. The lack of color is such an integral part of the feel the game wants to bring. Also the colored mode looks like crap.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

@tobbrobb:

It's optional and it defaults to black and white. You can probably get a more realistic look out of the game by not cranking it all the way up like I did in that screenshot but I'm with you. That black and white adds a lot of personality and atmosphere. I have seen some comments on the Steam forums of people hoping the developers won't water their vision down further by responding to stuff like this. Apparently they are going to implement easier ways for the player to find his bearings.

No Caption Provided
    PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I haven't played it... but even if I had I couldn't "recommand" it.

kingjulesxii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I played it, it blows

Godawful combat, and stealth is unmanageable (it's nearly impossible to know whether you can be seen or not) and very little sense of direction.

Not that I want my hand held but everything about the world is so vague and obtuse and it just feels unearned. There's no gravitas to the mystery, it was just mysterious for the sake of having an answer(s?) to propel yourself towards.

Not much personality, no characters worth caring about, nada. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea, but I played it for two hours and really didn't dig it.

A very beautiful world to walk around in for about an hour, but that's all I really got out of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.