Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Beyond: Two Souls

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 08, 2013

An interactive supernatural thriller from the studio behind Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy. It tells the story of Jodie Holmes, a girl with mysterious psychokinetic abilities.

Will you buy Beyond: Two Souls?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Poll Will you buy Beyond: Two Souls? (230 votes)

Yes 36%
    No 26%
    Maybe so 33%
    Results 5%

Quantic Dream, the makers of the hit "Heavy Rain", don't hold it back that they want to tell an 'emotional' story with their games. From what I personally gather from David Cage and the like, they want people to believe that technology, more specifically graphical prowess, can create better (and in their terms) more 'emotional' stories.

I'm not one to agree with that, as stories have been told without the use of technology to great effect. Obviously, books and such don't use graphical prowess to tell their stories. And I'm not sure what they mean by using the word 'emotional'. I assume it's a mere marketing gimmick and nothing much more than that. On the other hand, I think video games do have potential to tell great stories; I just don't believe technology is going to be a huge factor in that regard.

As for playing "Beyond", well, I don't know. Part of my problem with "Heavy Rain" was that it was that the script was poorly written and the acting was almost laughingly sub-par. With actors such as Willem Dafoe and Ellen Page, however, the latter seems to be at least getting addressed. This maybe a case of waiting for opinions on it before diving in at least for me.

• 
    billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Yeah...Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain had their problems but I still enjoyed them. I have always been an adventure game fan and I see them as that.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've not really been a fan of linear cinematic experiences lately, but considering the avalanche of open-world games that are coming out this fall I might get in the mood for something simpler and straight-forward.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yes. Don't tell Harry.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It's hard to call Heavy Rain "poorly written" as it can definitely be looked at as an experimental project which used interactivity to create the emotions and story more than dialogue (all though dialogue was also used) which is the point that David Cage was trying to make. I think they did a good job in that regard. What they did wrong was pacing and some terrible flaws....like the iconic "Oragami" what was the point of it? But lastly the controllers...which wasn't as big an issue in such a game...but still a nuissance.

That said, Heavy Rain laid the blueprint on the table by succeeding at the experimental part, it now up to Beyond: Two Souls to follow the blueprint and make a much better game. The actors are a huge step forward. The main thing I am worried about is the story itself may not be quite as relatable as the whole "Son is abducted" thing HR had going for it. Nevertheless I will buy this game to support an attempt at evolving games into something else. For a pretty ambitious project, Heavy Rain was quite well done despite its floors. This could be the sleeper hit of the year...and we need one...because aside from 2 (Maybe 3 after GTA) amazing games this, it's been a pretty poor year in gaming thus far.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Klei

I doubt it. I'll probably end up checking it out on youtube, for the kicks, but I doubt I'll have the time to really sit down and play it. I was disappointed with Indigo Prophecy's retarded second half, I was disappointed with Heavy Rain, so this time, I'm not handing Cage my money.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bane122

Hell yes. Cage has a real problem wrapping up a story well but nevertheless I loved Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain. I'll be there day one.

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 20

I'm a maybe. I'd certainly wait till its cheaper before purchasing. I enjoyed Heavy Rain enough, but overall it was an average experience. I don't rate David Cage. He creates incredible linear experiences which just scream out that he'd much rather be a film director than a game designer. I would of loved it if Heavy Rain adapted based on choices throughout the game and presented different outcomes, but overall it fell short of the mark.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It has Willem Dafoe so yeah.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, loved their other games. Still really confused by that whole E3 trailer with Ellen Page in a middle-eastern war zone though...

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By kaos_cracker

I really enjoyed Heavy Rain, so I want to see more

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless it somehow finds its way to PC, no.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Absolutely. Heavy Rain is one of my favorite games this gen and Indigo Prophecy was awesome until it went batshit crazy.

Plus maybe we won't get crazy accents that take you out of the game in this one

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At some point, probably. Heavy Rain had some issues that held it back, but overall I enjoyed it.

Too much coming out right now to consider spending any money on it though. There are other games that take priority.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy are two of my favorite games, so absolutely.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, if the writing and storyline is better than Heavy Rain's bullshit.

I clearly don't see what other people see in HR. Some people hated it because the gameplay was limited, but that's fine to me. It's just that the writing was so, so bad.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Sure, if the writing and storyline is better than Heavy Rain's bullshit.

I clearly don't see what other people see in HR. Some people hated it because the gameplay was limited, but that's fine to me. It's just that the writing was so, so bad.

Heavy Rain is an entertaining experience while actively playing it. I enjoyed my time with the game all the way to the end. And then I woke up the next morning and went over all of the batshit insane plotholes and inconsistencies and realized that it's actually really dumb despite its aspirations.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Yes but not at launch. I can't image this game not dropping like a rock in price soon after launch. Quantic Dream already has another game in development for PS4 so I won't feel too bad for not supporting this at launch.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: I know exactly what you mean. 24 hours after finishing HR and you realise just how little of it made sense. My least favorite thing about the game (and just writing in general) is that the twist is so undeserved. Sure it's surprising, but only because the writers lied to you the whole game. A twist is no fun if it exists for the twist's sake.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe after a price cut.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe later. Story isn't really jumping out at me. Surface level, it looks like another "misunderstood protagonist with (possible) supernatural abilities running away from cops."

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many Ellen Pages do I get with my purchase?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Hunter5024

I really liked Heavy Rain, and I thought I was in on this one too, but that trailer where it got all military third person shooter really put me off. I need a little more coverage on this one.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Probably not. The problem is that I know a guy who is almost assuredly going to buy it, so I might just borrow his copy like I did for Heavy Rain.

Used/borrowed games are ruining the industry. Or the economy. Or both, I dunno. Science.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

I dunno, man. The story in this game seems all over the place. I'm gonna need to see a few reviews before I decide.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meltac

Yup. I really liked Fahrenheit, and thought Heavy Rain was an enjoyable and worthwile experience, despite its flaws. So far I like what I have seen of Beyond so, even though I don't exactly understand what kind of game it is, but to me that is only a good thing. From what I have seen the voice acting also sounds like a massive improvement, and that was probably my biggest gripe with Heavy Rain.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Maybe?

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By altairre

Yes. It's one of the two games I absolutely want to play this year, the other being GTAV.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I'll check out the demo, but it's gonna take a lot to convince me to spend more hard-earned money on a Quantic Dream game.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will buy a ticket to it at my nearest cinema.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yes, will probably pick up the special edition as well. I am very curious about the story. Also Ellen Page.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not day one, but I'll get it eventually. If the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, I might be more inclined to do that.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Most likely. I really enjoyed Heavy Rain and didn't have a problem with the writing or acting.

I like that those games are different and that's the kind of thing I want at this point.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a big no. I already played Uncharted 4 Starring Ellen Page, so another game with Ellen Page is a bit too much.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By Humanity

I honestly don't know. I used to think I knew what this game was about but I don't even know anymore. If the reviews will be overwhelmingly positive I'll probably check it out. For all it's issue and plot holes, I enjoyed Heavy Rain as an interactive storytelling experience.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After Heavy Rain, which I loved, I'm so excited to get this. Hopefully they do the whole supernatural element well.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Looks more like a interactive movie then a game.

siaynoq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ellen Paige is an obnoxious, pretentious little scrag. I can't stand the sight of her face. Hell no will I buy this game.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Maybe, probably not right away though.

Digiwth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will watch a Two Best Friend's LP of Beyond: Two Souls.

And, that is all.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JUST pre-ordered it. So, yes

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not buying Beyond Two Souls, but for some reason I am terrified of this being terrible. I mean, I liked Heavy Rain because of it's idea of "no game overs" and the story still continuing despite your character dying or failing a certain task. That's a great concept that adds weight to your actions and doesn't just rewind to give you a second or third chance. Even as someone who doesn't like QTEs, I thought the QTEs were done extremely well, even better than God of War 3's. Gameplay wise, it was a great and memorable experience. But from an acting/writing direction, it was pretty damn bad. So many horribly faked North American accents, contrived plot points, and fights just for the sake of having action. Also what kind of mall has a clown in it that sells one dollar balloons that aren't even balloon animals? I enjoyed the game, but oftentimes I felt embarrassed for David Cage when playing it. He was so earnest in creating a mature and serious game and the result was that the story and acting in it were so cringe worthy.

That's why I'm not buying Beyond: Two Souls. I don't like that feeling of being embarrassed for someone else. Like seeing someone failing horribly on stage or something. And I predict I will feel that even worse because the game is touting 2 big name actors and I fear that the material they have to work with won't be on par with their skill. There's already been red flags in the trailer dialogue I've seen. "If you don't stop, next time, I'll kill everyone." It's supposed to come off as tough and maybe scary, but it just sounds like a vapid threat because of how broad and vague it is written. And this is Ellen Page delivering that line. I'm just really worried about how this reflects on the medium to non-gamers if this is the flashiest showpiece for "serious games."

Contrary to popular criticism, I think David Cage succeeded with Heavy Rain from a game director perspective, but failed from a movie director perspective.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By ProfessorEss

No. These games are all about the story and I think Cage is a terrible writer.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@siaynoq said:

Ellen Paige is an obnoxious, pretentious little scrag. I can't stand the sight of her face. Hell no will I buy this game.

:D

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato said:
    Contrary to popular criticism, I think David Cage succeeded with Heavy Rain from a game director perspective, but failed from a movie director perspective.

I agree. I came away from Heavy Rain disappointed but convinced the "format" had a lot of potential. The Walking Dead kinda confirmed it last year.

I'll get Beyond just to see it for myself, and because I want more games like this.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@juzie said:

It's hard to call Heavy Rain "poorly written"....

It would be hard to do simply because then what other gradation would you say about most other games. Are most other games therefore, "terribly written", "atrociously written" or "a war crime on plot, story & characters"?

I would say Heavy Rain is well written with an unsettling tone and supernatural features that while very mild are consistent tinged with portraying 'otherness' to the player on purpose. The story's dramatic portrayal of 'slightly quirky' characters engaged in morally dubious activities strays into caricature at times. Yet what mares the experiences, if anything, is voice acting that is 'inauthentically American'. It could even be said the setting has a decidedly European feel of clothing, home fixtures, and mannerisms that portray an inauthentic Philadelphia as well.

In a word, the setting, characters, and delivery of dialogue is often 'inauthentic', but none of that is the 'story' or the 'writing'. I think with American voice actors and artists going off reference photos of American homes, furnishing and fixtures would not trip player up as much. Yet, what would still remain is the unsettling tone, supernatural features, and a consistent tinged of 'otherness'. Nevertheless, that otherness would slot well into what is most like David Lynch or David Cronenberg who are uniquely American/Canadian voices of culture and story telling.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Nope, i played Heavy Rain and I was just put off by the way the story was presented. Gameplay wise I felt it was neat in some aspects, but then busting out super high tech detective equipment, it just pulled you out. And I think it might be unfair but the whole time I was playing the game, I was under the assumption that the game was made by Japanese developer because the dialogue seemed off, it didn't sound like it was written by someone who speaks English. Well I find this thread and have to look it up, they are French developer.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished the demo 15 minutes ago, and I like the majority of what I played (watched?) and as a big fan of Heavy Rain it pretty much seems like an evolution of that, but with the new ghost kid mechanics.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#48  Edited By irrelevantjohn

Didn't like Cage's last 2 games, so no.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will probably buy it at some point. I haven't finished GTA V yet, so adding another game into my backlog wouldn't be beneficial to me. If it's on sale during Black Friday, I will be more inclined to get it. If not, then I'm just going to wait.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.