Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

pc gamer review

ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ascholzk

so the PC Gamer review of Bioshock 2 came in. i didn't read the actual review, but based on it's Metacritic page, it got a 90%, not bad 
    i'm slightly disapointed that PC Gamer said that Bioshock 2's story is not as memorable as the first game.  
    heres the link:  http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/bioshock2

ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ascholzk

personally, i'm not terribly excited about the multiplayer, i just want a atmospheric, fun and memorable singleplayer experience with a good story. o well

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Story in the first game sucked anyways and the ending just ruined everything. It was basically just System Shock 2 under water so the twist didn't surprise me.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By sjschmidt93

"... despite a less memorable story." 

='(

ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ascholzk

i actually loved the story and premise of the first game, i didn't play System Shock 2 though.  
    but i was slightly skeptical of the whole "10 years after Bioshock 1" idea. i really think that a prequel to Bioshock 1 taking place about 1 year before the the rapture civil war and going through the the war would be a fantastic Bioshock game. 
     oh well, i'm hoping that the other reviews will say otherwise regarding the story

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Binman88

Here's the PC Gamer UK review. Taken with camera rather than scanned so pardon the quality.

ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ascholzk
    @Binman88: thanks dude!!
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Clinkz
    @PapaLazarou said:
    " Story in the first game sucked anyways and the ending just ruined everything. It was basically just System Shock 2 under water so the twist didn't surprise me. "
    The plot was one of the best plots this generation. Name a better one.
    Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Turtlemayor333

I thought as much.  Not to sound like the spoiled idiot who refuses to play a game because it didn't get a perfect score, I feel like my last chance at playing this game was pretty much just shot down for good. With no interest in the multiplayer, the story needed to be...."important." Being a great game isn't enough, BioShock 2 needed to be a great sequel to a great game. Oh well.

Well written review, also.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By clubsandwich

"despite a sadly less-memorable story."

I loved the first BioShock, but to me a sequel was stupid and needless, so I think I'll pass.

ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ascholzk

well i already preordered it and paid all of it off at Gamestop so i'll be picking it up on day one, but to be honest, i'll probably play it at least a couple weeks after its release because i'm currently on my first playthrough of Mass Effect 2 and i want to play it again.   
    well if another Bioshock game comes out, Irrational Games needs to make it, and it should be a prequel, period. just my opinion.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @Clinkz: ...Yeah, not coming up with one for this generation. I mean, it's by no means the best plot in a video game to date, but it's better than anything I can think of from this gen. 

But the fact that the story might not be as memorable is okay; the saddest part of that review to me was this paragraph:  
    PCGamer said:
    "It feels as if BioShock took us through all the most interesting locales, leaving BioShock 2 to tread a less exciting path."  

Definitely the most important part of BioShock for me was the atmosphere. Rapture was gorgeous, moody, and intense just to walk through. The story being a bit worse is irrelevant to me: it probably couldn't have been much better. But the world being worse? That's an unforgivable crime for this game, and hopefully is not something we'll see in other reviews.
    ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ascholzk
    @Little_Socrates: yea i really loved the ironic dystopian vibe and retro futurism of the first game,  
    the Ryan Amusements level seems pretty great in terms of atmosphere.
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#14  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @GaLaXypwn3r: It was more than that, though; Fallout 3 in many ways shares those two themes, but it just didn't hit home for me the same way I'm guessing it did for you (*looking at your profile pic for that one*). It was more about the artistic beauty that went into every area; the lighting made even some of the more mundane hallways in Rapture's medical wing fantastic to be in, and don't even let me get started on Fort Frolic. It was just amazing the amount of thought that went into the level design, the artistic design with its implementation of art deco, and the sound design that I can't imagine the second one being worse at that, but if it is, then I'll actually end up skipping it to preserve my memories of the first game. 

That said, Ryan's Amusement Park sounds absolutely excellent, and there were a few other places I saw in the opening of the first game that I'd hoped we'd eventually reach, so it might just be in relation to the preferences of the reviewer. If it's a consistent problem in reviews, I probably won't buy it, but if other reviews still laud the atmosphere, then I'll feel secure in my purchase. :D
    fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By fripplebubby
    @GaLaXypwn3r said:
    "    well if another Bioshock game comes out, Irrational Games needs to make it, and it should be a prequel, period. just my opinion. "
    I don't know about the first part, but they should really make a Bioshock set in Pre-Disaster Rapture. Like GTA in a fish tank. 
    ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ascholzk
    @Fripplebubby: well Irrational Games made the original Bioshock (originally was Irrational Games, then 2K Boston, then Back to Irrational Games) so i feel that Ken Levine and the original Bioshock team should have a hand in making the next Bioshock
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By bacongames
    @GaLaXypwn3r said:
    " @Fripplebubby: well Irrational Games made the original Bioshock (originally was Irrational Games, then 2K Boston, then Back to Irrational Games) so i feel that Ken Levine and the original Bioshock team should have a hand in making the next Bioshock "
    From what I hear they are working a new project.  Seems to me like Irrational is moving away from Bioshock and I think that's a good move.  Unless the ending to Bioshock 2 demands a sequel, I highly doubt we'll see another Bioshock this console generation.  Then again this hasn't stopped them before.  I get the feeling like after this one, I don't see where else they can go. The world is pretty fleshed out it seems after this game. 
    BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles
    @Turtlemayor333 said:
    "I thought as much.  Not to sound like the spoiled idiot who refuses to play a game because it didn't get a perfect score, I feel like my last chance at playing this game was pretty much just shot down for good. With no interest in the multiplayer, the story needed to be...."important." Being a great game isn't enough, BioShock 2 needed to be a great sequel to a great game. Oh well. Well written review, also. "

It's funny because that review is exactly what I expected and here I am still wanting to play the game, to expect the sequel to be better or just as good as the first is unrealistic just due to the fact that it was nearly perfect (except for the endings) aside from the fact that it would have beeen damn near impossible to top the first game people must also remember that 2 was not written by the same person as 1.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.