Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

Should I 're-up' on the orginal Bioshock?

DaveBeFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DaveBeFree

I recently finished Bioshock 2.  It was wonderful, despite the fact that I didn't particularly enjoy the first Bioshock.  My enjoyment of the second game, however, has made me think that maybe I should revisit the original voyage through Rapture.  I'm skeptical, though, that the first game will be able to hold up against the second.  I sold the first game, along with my dying 360, and wasn't to broken up about being separated from it at the time.  Also, the improvements in gameplay were really significant for me, and I enjoyed the combat much more in the sequel.  With that said, I consider myself a collector of sorts when it comes to classic games.  But, I don't want a game sitting around my house that I will never pick up and play.  So, should I 're-up' on the original Bioshock, or should I just be content with the newer-- and in many ways better-- game?

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By uniform

I never considered 1 or 2 to be "great" FPS'. It was always the atmosphere, and character dialog that drew me into Rapture. I'm only about 1/4 into Bioshock 2, and so far the experience pales in comparison to the first. The moment, and especially the way in which I first discovered Rapture, was both haunting and gorgeous. I was on the edge of my seat for a large portion of the original. So far, with Bioshock 2, everything is going through the motions. I'm already in Rapture, doing the exact same things I did in the original, but without that new shiny feeling I got from the original. While there are improvements to the combat in 2, it more or less feels like more of the same, with a Drill. I suppose judging Bioshock 1 and 2 based solely on FPS mechanics, 2 is the better game, but the original trounces the sequel in most other aspects. 

Yes, get the original back.

TDWPvengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TDWPvengeance

It'll help with comprehension of the second BioShock, my friends got the second one and didn't understand most of what was going on, and I happen to have the first one lying around on my dresser, so I let them all borrow it and they all understood it afterwards. It's your decision either way though.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Th3_James

Re-Up? how much you need? $200 for Oz of Kush.....ohhhhh bioshock, ye you should do that

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Yukoei

I am currently forcing myself through the 1st game to play the 2nd, you should have done the same.

mark_evans83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mark_evans83

Do it, the first is a damn gaming masterpiece.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By xyzygy

I just finished getting everything in Bioshock 1. It's weird because when I got the game about 2 years ago, I played it and was extremely underwhelmed, well compared to what the reviews were giving it. Now I go back and I really see how the plasmid and tonic system is awesome, I felt like I was playing a really short First Person RPG.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.