Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Black Myth: Wu Kong

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Q2 2024

An adventure/brawler based on Journey to the West and other Chinese literature and myth

Black Myth Wukong gameplay trailer out

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

This looks amazing. Apparently developed by a team of 30 over the last two years. Hopefully they didn't have to crunch hard to get to this point because its seems crazy they were able to do so much with so little in such a small amount of time.

What do you think about this game?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

You see the familiar gameplay it’s wrapped in which is totally fine, I just hope sun wukongs staff has some good gameplay weight behind it

But mannnnnn, that game looks so slick and just has a visual flair I haven’t seen since Asuras Wrath, hoping the final product comes together whenever it’s out (that’s a definite next gen game even if it was made with UE4)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It looks really nice, as a Monkey King enthusiast, it was nice to see the nods to the Indian/Chinese fable of a divine monkey. One of my favorite games from last generation was Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, which while very westernized was a nice take on the character from Journey to the West -Monkey, Pigsy, and Trip (AKA: Tripitaka or the monk Tang Sanzang)

There have been many telling of the story in film, book, comic, and games. Its a multicultural borrowing of story and myth from all over East Asia. The game seems to pull mostly from the interesting and playful origin story - a monkey born from a stone who acquires/steals supernatural powers through taoist teachings.

I hope it turns out well. It looks really nice; but a bit rough in spots too. For 'westerns' the quality of the result might comes down to how good the translation is from Chinese to English. I think the game play, design and set pieces are looking great; so if they make teh story good it will be really amazing. My question is; will the player get to turn into a mile tall monkey who battles a celestial-god general in heaven? ;-)

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

That is an uncomfortably detailed and well animated close up of a bug.

This looks very cool though, will definitely keep an eye on it.

yyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

User Lists: 4

I did some research and this game is built with UE4. Man, game engines have gone a long way and I'm impressed that even smaller teams can make AAA budget looking games.

From what I've seen, the action reminds me a lot of the pre-PS4 GoW games.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Looks great, this what I thought most next-gen games would look like.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly this will get overlooked and labeled a dark souls clone along with being hit by the coveted too short since its likely about 8-12 hours given the studio. Great showcase of powers and styles, I know they showed a end game leveled character like ya should to entice audiences. I can see ps4 giving them money to make this exclusive and build it up more into a franchise. Solo i dont think they will get enough sales for the sequel even with word of mouth. Heres hoping im wrong. The game looks great.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Definitely has a look to it which is a nice change of pace from the usual fantasy style you come to expect. Combat looks nice but how it actually plays remains to be seen. I'm assuming this is more of a character action game than anything else which is a great thing because we don't get enough of those. From just the video it looks neat I guess and it's always nice to see stories from different cultures that aren't your classic elves and orcs or grim-dark fantasy.

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What machine will be required to run this at desirable detail and desirable framerate?
    I don't think I own that kind of machine.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A 30 person team made this?! This really is a golden age to make games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@noobsauce: I do wonder how MUCH this is. They show some neat later areas but games are typically made out of order so I’m curious how far along they are.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: True. The size could be significantly smaller than what they hint at (and would make sense that THAT'S the corner they had to cut to produce something like this in 2 years). Still, I think this studio will be one to keep an eye on as long as this trailer isn't all smoke and mirrors.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Games need more tails, and this game has got a lot of tail, so I've been tailing it with exuberance.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I look forward over the next decades to see what China can show us from their own culture. Like everything else technical, a ton of work for games IS done in China. But, when will we get Chinese studios with native game producers making game for the wider world?

The world of games needs more voices - Latin American nations, Eastern Europe, African nations, Middle Eastern nations, and more South Asian nations!

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is something that I want to keep an eye on for sure.

The premise and the implication that China can produce a AAA game that sells well worldwide should be a big deal. It's always amazing seeing what they're able to come up with in China in terms of graphics and pushing the limit, but their games are always littered with so many micro transactions and other weirdness that it deters many from taking them seriously.

There seems to be a lot of passion and national pride with telling this story of the monkey king. So for their sake, I hope this ends up a big hit for them because it would be nice having another country and developing team producing great selling games. Especially when other developers can't seem to "break the next-gen barrier" so to speak.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this doesn't get another year or two development time i'm assuming it's either 4 hours long or reuses content to pad out its length, the gameplay trailer doesn't have any kind of flow it's completely dense with moments purely to impress so that will change, but we'll have to wait for it to come out to see what it actually is.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

I was just on YouTube and I saw the video; I had no idea what it was but it caught my attention. I was very surprised. It looks great. I guess it got huge traction, and it surprises me that in response, the developer was... (I am totally blanking on the word right now, but) he was being critical about it, pointing out the flaws, like animations, music, etc. and said that people should forget about what they saw because it's not as impressive as what they're trying to make it be. I hope if/when it comes out, they keep the Chinese VO as a choice. It looks very cool; not quite like a Soulsborne, but easy to draw comparisons to something like Sekiro at first glance. To be honest, though, something seems fishy about this. I hope I'm wrong to be skeptical.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh cool, they made a game about that Dota character.

Seriously though, this game looks neat. I mean the gameplay looks pretty standard(which is fine) but I REALLY dig the visual style and character design. Sounds are good too.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: what's "fishy" about this?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikewhy: Hmm. I don't know, maybe I was being a bit pessimistic. I probably should have edited that out since I'm not sure I am that skeptical, it was just a thought at the time of writing. I was thinking that the game looks really good but they're being super humble about it, which is nothing new (the biggest critic is yourself and all that). I was thinking that maybe they're trying to cover something up. They made the footage, but it's not going to be as impressive as it seems, so they say 'disregard what you saw', like an uh-oh moment. Again, that's pessimism. I think it looks cool though, and I'll definitely keep my eye on it. I don't think, now at least, that there is something 'fishy' going on.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Well, that's now on my radar i guess! Very impressive stuff. Wukongis also just an interesting character to base a game around.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda wish I didn’t watch all that. I think I spoiled a bunch of the game for myself. That being said I think it’s probably very far out still and a lot will change before it’s in non-dev’s hands.

AKTANE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Myth Wukong Dev Responds - if this response is genuine ..

1.) This dev is going for perfect in a way that I absolutely appreciate but hope doesn't step on employees doing so. I'm good with the game being small and perfect.

2.) Sounds like they are using it to recruit more devs anyways so game seems far from complete.

I have no issue with it having the HP/MP/Stamina souls system, it just looks imaginative, and the combat and physics look fluid and fun. This trailer has me excited, cautiously but excited.

AKTANE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: Great ID .... way too relevant haha, also I agree with you :) I'm gonna be playing Raji soon and Im excited to see something a-typical and from a perspective of developers that is their "own experience". Ash from Kotaku writes about this and its neat... and the most exciting thing about Next Gen for me ... more diverse devs have more accessible tools to make games based on their experiences.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: What we'll get from an all Chinese developer is whatever has been "approved" by the CCP, like all media produced in China.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ToughShed

@nameredacted said:

@monkeyking1969: What we'll get from an all Chinese developer is whatever has been "approved" by the CCP, like all media produced in China.

when the US military advises on Call of Duty and whitewashes war and real conflict for them it's not really so different. otherwise I bet they don't really care about a fantasy soulslike game.

Not that I approve of any censorship or propaganda. But lets be real and respect other people from a whole country and culture who are not the enemy.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a chinese game so I would bet that crunch was there from day one of development. I would assume the same for most japanese developers too

This looks really great, seemed to run at 60fps the entire time too until the end when they were in the clouds. I wonder what engine this is using?

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This definitely looks like UE4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.