Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 19, 2008

Widely considered a spiritual successor to the studio's Guilty Gear series, BlazBlue is a fighting game with highly-detailed hand-drawn character graphics and a story involving sorcery and science.

Need Help Deciding Which Version to Buy?

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Luke

As a owner of nearly ever system ever released, I always have this same age old problem with multiplatform games... trying to figure-out which one is the best. 

The release of BlazBlue brought-up this question in my mind, many of times. 

I personally came to the conclusion and picked-it-up on the PS3 because of one small but neat feature in the PS3 version that the XBOX 360 version doesn't have. 

It's 2 words.  Remote Play.  The PS3 version of BlazBlue lets you play the game on your PSP as well! 

So, I guess if you're on the fence as to what version to buy, (even though there can be many other factors, like what systems your friends play on, etc.)  here is the break-down of advantages/disadvantages of the 2 versions: 

1. Remote Play Feature - Winner = PS3  
    2. Limited Edition Disk on Blu-Ray and not on DVD - Winner = PS3 
    3. Game is Region Locked on XBOX 360, but not on PS3 - Winner = PS3 
    4. You can play against Japanese Players online on PS3 (Region 1 vs. Region 3) - Winner = PS3 
    5. Network / XBOX Live (may not be free but is an overall better experience, for North American Players) = Winner XBOX 360 
    6. Trophies vs. Achievements (are better and work on Giant Bomb) - Winner XBOX 360 
    7. Option of Unlimited Characters DLC - Winner = XBOX 360  
    8. Has Patch to fix Online Memory Leak on XBOX 360, which sometimes makes Rounds 2 and 3 Lag... still not fixed for PS3 - Winner = XBOX 360 
    Feel free to post your thoughts, or if I missed anything, or if I'm completely off-base/wrong about something... and I guess, if you guys can help it, please don't turn this into some system wars thread :p  I mean, sometimes one version is better than another and that's just a fact of life.   Most the time it goes the way of the XBOX 360, but maybe not this time? 

Feedback?  Which version are you going to get and why? 
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Just a side note: Right now only the 360 version has a patch for its online play and the PS3's patch is currently undergoing approvals. Most of my matches on PS3 have been relatively lag-free, but when it lags it REALLY lags.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By webby
    I just bought the Limited Edition and the BlazBlue Hori Fight Stick.
    For PS3 since it's region free and im in the UK. 
    No point in me buying a US 360 or anything when I can play it perfectly on my PS3.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

I'm still debating if I should get this game right away.  If I get it now I can get the limited edition.  Grrrrr..... being jobless sucks.  :-P

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Luke
    @Sleepy_Insomniac: Oh nice, the 360 got the Patch already!?  I edited my initial post with that information. 
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By get2sammyb

Does it lag in remote play though? I remember trying Remote Play on Bionic Commando Rearmed and found my button presses were about a second behind. In principle it's a nice feature but in concept I wasn't too sure it worked so well in that instance. How about with BlazBlue. You tried it yet?

m_rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By m_rum

I'm going with the triple. Well I don't have a choice since other one is region locked. Too bad I own a stick for 360 only. I guess I could sell that one and buy another for the PS3 since they're not so hard to get anymore... Really pisses me off.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By get2sammyb
    @m_rum: If you're UK, I think Amazon do a pretty standard Hori for like under £30.

EDIT: It's £40. I swear it used to be £29 or something.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Luke
    @get2sammyb: No, I haven't tried it yet.  Just read about the feature and got really excited.  I'll try it later tonight (or maybe this 4th of July weekend) and report back. 

One other thing I noticed that's either really kewl or really annoying (depending on how you feel), is that when playing online the game uses the Voice Settings of each Player. 

So, say if you set your Voices to be all Japanese and are playing as Ragna, he will say everything in Japanese... but, if the other play is playing as Jin and set the Voices to English, then Jin will speak nothing but English.  So at the beginning of the Match, Ranga will yell at Jin in Japanese and Jin will yell back his reply in English :p 

It's weird and almost kewl at the same time... not really sure how I feel about it, right now.  Anyone know if it functions the same way on the 360? 
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Oh, and that 360 patch also has double-blind character selection... I hope the PS3 gets it soon.

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By bagmanforhire

i got it on 360 cause that was the only one i could find

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By bagmanforhire

also i think that the bonus disk on DVD is better cause i have it running on my laptop while i play and i dont have 2 blu-ray players!

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @BagManForHire said:
    " also i think that the bonus disk on DVD is better cause i have it running on my laptop while i play and i dont have 2 blu-ray players! "
    Yeah, the Blu-Ray is all pixelated and whatnot. You can tell they didn't even bother upscaling from DVD quality.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Luke

Sure guys, take 1 point away from the PS3 :p  Well, at least the Street Fighter IV Blu-Ray Movie in the Collectors Edition was worth it. 

Anyway, did anyone else watch the Tager Strategy Section on the Blu-Ray/DVD.  If you haven't yet, DO IT!!!  It's fucking great! :D 

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Luke
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " Oh, and that 360 patch also has double-blind character selection... I hope the PS3 gets it soon. "
    I was just reading through the Dustloop Forums and here are some of the things that people have said that may be changed/fixed with the Patch on 360: 
    1. Online Lag Bug Fixed. 
    2. Double Blind Character Selection Added for Ranked Matches.  
    3. Punishment for Disconnectors. 
    4. Fixed Replay Downloading and the ability to get the Achievement/Trophy for it (The PS3 has to get this Patch or it will be impossible to get all the Trophies). 
    5. Fix for when The Kageyama Theme sometimes doesn't play when Bang uses FuuRinKaZan.  
    I'll add to this if I can find more info. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.