Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

Bloodborne is satiating my Nioh fix until launch

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Nioh Alpha was the first time I'd ever really played a Souls-like. Once I found the community, and fell in love with the story, I tried playing Dark Souls II on the PS4. It was kind of fun, and very interesting, but it didn't really agree with me. I'd initially passed on Bloodborne because it looked genuinely scary. I was right, but, the combat and feel of the game is much closer to what I was looking for. At this point, I'd already put Bloodborne on my list of favorite games of all time.

What I"m saying is, I hope they announce a sequel of some kind at E3.

Guybrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

I have recently gotten into the Souls games too. Right now I have all three Dark Souls and Bloodborne in progress, this is probably not the best idea. Going between them just makes each one more difficult.

Out of the four of them, I would easily say that Bloodborne is my favourite. I really like the setting and the way it feels. It feels a bit more forgiving than DS, but still very difficult.

I would really like to see another Bloodborne.

I've not seen anything of Nioh, but the more I hear about it's comparisons to the Souls games, the more I'm interested in it.

Woodyrson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Woodyrson

How are you finding Bloodborne in comparison to what you played of Nioh? In the run up to Bloodborne, I played a lot of Dark Souls and Dark Souls II to "get ready" for it. All the Souls games had really turned me off in the past, but in that run, I fell in love with them. I loved Bloodborne, then went back and finished DS and DS2, and loved DS3 this year. That said, I thought that Nioh alpha was terrible. Just curious to hear the thoughts on the comparison from someone coming at it from the other direction.

CoffinVarnishh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really hoping for some kind of announcement of B2 but worried they are done completely. Would be super stupid to let a game like Bloodborne not have some sort of successor to the first game.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bloodborne 2 is inevitable, even if From Software didn't want to make it Sony would pay for the entire production cost of the game to force them to eventually.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel From and Sony are in different positions from when Bloodborne's deal was reached. They could do another one but the need is less greater.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I have been idly working my way through this for over a year now. It's completely baffling - I have no idea what any of the people in the world want or even who they are in most spots. I've glanced at some wikis, but I'll be damned if I can find any of the in-game references that people are referring to when they talk about the game's plot. It's fascinating how a game can be this opaque! I'm not even complaining; I think it's tremendously ballsy of the developers to basically make nothing clear. I look forward to getting through it just so I can try to read some complete storyline guides or something. Maybe in another year or so...

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@woodyrson: In my estimation, the Nioh combat is years ahead of anything in the Souls series, and Bloodborne is closer, but still behind. The speed and flexibility of Nioh's combat is exactly what I wish the others were like. I really enjoy the combat in Bloodborne, and I like it more as I continue playing, but it's still a much more limited move set. Also, the ability to unlock new moves and combos in Nioh is something that'll really draw me in more once it releases. Story wise, who can say, but I'm hoping the individual area system doesn't hurt things, as the interconnected crazy world of Bloodborne is one of my favorite things about the game.

If you loved all the other Souls stuff, I'm guessing you were just in the wrong state when you played Nioh, and you'll probably like it more if you give it another chance. At least I hope so.

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: You're certainly not wrong. Before I even bought Bloodborne, I watched a very, very long explanation video of the story. That's actually what pushed me into the purchase. I think it was VaatiVidya on YouTube, but it could have been one of the other storyline videos. Also, as a fan of antiquated horror stories, I love that there's the Frankestein town, and the Warewolf town, and the Wich town, and stuff like that (intentionally or not, but probably intentionally). Also, Mr. Rorie, I feel like you do or would like the manga series Berzerk, on which tons of this game was based.

Woodyrson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squidking: That may very well be the case. In fairness to Nioh, I didn't give it all that much of a chance. Plus, it was an alpha, so it's not fair to completely judge the game based on that. Still, I think there's a certain beauty to the simplicity of Souls combat. What little bit of Nioh I played seemed overly complicated and just didn't "feel" right to me. But I think the setting is great and I'd love to love that game. Here's hoping I can give it another shot and enjoy it the next time around.

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@woodyrson: Yeah, if you like simplicity, I'm pretty sure Nioh isn't going to be your favorite. It seems like the combat overall is about double Bloodborne, which I think was about double (or maybe 2/3rds more) on Dark Souls. I do think Nioh gives a pretty good opportunity to play defensively, more like Souls, with a very solid counterattack system built in, and an option to parry and riposte and all of that.

The biggest complaint I heard was the stamina system seemed to limited, but I think that's because they did an absolutely awful job explaining the Ki Pulse system, which refills your stamina when you use it correctly. I only learned about it by way of a GameFaqs post, that I still don't know how or why that person was so informed on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.