Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

Games and movies with a similar aesthetic.

Flower Child

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've always loved lovecraftian stuff, but Bloodborne has given me a hankering for more. Are there any good games or movies with a similar look? Preferably not horror, as I don't deal well with jump scares.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The Order is the first thing that jumps to mind, although the reception of that game was less than stellar.

Is there anything specific? "Crapsack world Victorian London with lots of supernatural elements" is what I'm thinking of. Dishonored could fit that bill. It has a Lovecraftian being that hangs around in the background, rarely revealing himself but you know he's there and paying attention.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen this yet myself but

No Caption Provided

I'm guessing it doesn't have the Lovecraft elements though.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kcin

Brotherhood of the Wolf is a pretty damn good suggestion, actually, though it spends a lot of time in the woods, and also uses a tribal aesthetic at parts. And no, no Lovecraft, just 'werewolves' and the hunting thereof. Note that the movie is in French, and I remember it being slower than expected (though good).

Flower Child

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Flower Child

@kcin: @kcin: @redyoshi: @believer258:

It's not so much the werewolf stuff. My favorite moment was defeating Rom (pretty big spoilers) and the Amygdalae appearing all over. Walking outside Oedon chapel and seeing the creature on the chapel just staring at you, was awesome. The place with the respawining enemies and the huge spider things on the buildings, just sitting there. That kind of stuff.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By emfromthesea

It's hard to recommend Lovecraft-inspired works that aren't part of the horror genre because his work was very much in the horror genre, but a few examples of stuff that aren't especially scary are:

Darkest Dungeon:

Though the game doesn't involve Great Ones as far as I know, it does deal with the whole concept of insanity and the dangers otherworldly beings present to man's psyche. The aesthetic is also quite similar to the Souls series.

Alan Wake:

This is more inspired by the works of Stephen King, but if you like stories that involve mystery and macabre, you'd probably like this one. It doesn't really look anything like Bloodborne though.

Eversion:

I don't want to say much about this game other than it's a platformer that gets weirder as you continue to play it. It's short, cheap and worth a look.

Eldritch:

Neat little indie game that deals heavily in Lovecraftian imagery. Kinda like if Bloodborne's chalice dungeons and Minecraft had a baby.

Amnesia: The Dark Decent:

This one is definitely a horror game, but it's about as close as you'll get to Lovecraft-inspired game that resembles the Gothic aesthetic of Bloodborne.

As for films, just go watch Cabin in the Woods. It's the most entertaining Lovecraftian film out there.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By csl316

Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess you could also say Dishonored fits the bill. The aesthetic is somewhat similar, and the lore has hints of Lovecraftian roots.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some Twilight Zone stuff,

Any Lovecraft Mythos,

Eternal Darkness,

Amnesia,

Norse Mythology for the Hunt aspect

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eternal Darkness is one my all time favourites!

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I wouldn't say Brotherhood of the Wolf is that much like what the OP is looking for, apart from maybe the costumes, but I love that someone mentioned that film. Fucking AWESOME movie, though it's not for everyone, and the effects are certainly dated. It's a long movie and a little slow, but well worth it for the amazing action scenes.

Anyway, I would say that...the original Nightmare Creatures on the PlayStation fits the bill quite nicely. I mean, it's not a good game, but it's got the look and feel. Or at least what a 1997 version of that look would be.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Dussck

Quake?

Although it's obviously dated, the monster and world design is definitely Lovecraft inspired!

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Flower Child

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak:

I just played Eversion, and wow, that was awesome. Thanks for that!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Will second Alan Wake

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going out on a limb here, but if you're open to anime Berserk might be a good choice. I can't imagine it's aged too well at this point but it was pretty clear Miyazaki (or someone else handling the visuals) was somewhat influenced by it.

As for games I think Eternal Darkness is still the best Lovecraftian experience I've had. Although I'm not sure it has necessarily aged well either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.