Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

Has Bloodborne got anyone into H.P.Lovecraft!?

Darth-Malum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

just to pre-warn anyone i will be going into spoilers for bloodborne and some of Lovecrafts works!!

So i finished bloodborne a few months back and thought that the themes were fantastic but had no idea that it was so clearly influenced by Lovecraft having not read anything he'd written, someone told me about the themes being tied to Lovecraft so i thought id try out some of the books!

I will now forever be obsessed with Lovecraft, ive read everything there is to read by him, its strange how i had no idea how much of his influence is everywhere and be completely ignorant of it!

i was wondering if anyone else who may know of lovecrafts works has seen the same similarities as me; the tonsil stone after reading whisperer in darkness i think is clearly the black stone that they find in this story, but i havent seen anyone else make the comparison

ive also seen people complain about the lack of explanation of what the old ones are and where they come from, but thats kind of the point; because you cant know, because you wouldnt understand or if you did you would undoubtedly lose your sanity.

Anyway just thought id say if anyone realllllly enjoyed bloodborne like i did, do yourself a favor and read Lovecraft! you can read all of his works for free online because technically nobody owns it i think.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The Lovecraft themes, especially with the questioning of sanity, also put a lot of questions in my head as to what your character was really doing. Are these monstrous beasts truly what they are? Am I already mad? Am I possibly slaughtering innocents in a mad panic? Is Gehrman Nytharlotep, or an agent thereof? I'm sure more people have dug into this than myself, but I really really liked the representation of it.

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Hashbrowns

Not Bloodborne, no, but oddly enough Skyrim's DLC "Dragonborn." The realm of Apocrypha and Hermaues Mora in particular were pure Lovecraftian "forbidden knowledge" stuff, not to mention the Cthulhu lookalikes roaming around the levels.

I concur though that the ambiguity, the unknowable, is the real core of what makes Lovecraft appealing. Fortunately, it's balanced with enough plot, evocative descriptions, mood and atmosphere that it doesn't sink to the level of nihilistic poetry written in the margins of a depressed teenager's journal; it's actually engaging in spite of its bleakness.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There he was in a hallway much like the hallway he seen before, full of all sorts of scary things--but I won't speak of that now!!!

Darth-Malum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Darth-Malum

Lovecrafts work is genuinely scary though, the rats in the walls ending seriously sent shivers up my spine!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.