Rockstar Hints at Bully Sequel Maybe Coming Eventually

• 109 results
Posted by patrickklepek (6019 posts) -
Jimmy found himself in plenty of fights, but he was also into kissin' dudes and chicks.

It’s an undisputed fact that Bully is the best game Rockstar Games has ever produced. The notion of an open world game set in high school continues to baffle me, but it totally, completely worked.

I’ve been patiently waiting for a sequel ever since, as Bully was ripe for making the collegiate leap. Bully was originally released on 2006, however, and rumors of a sequel have never come to fruition.

Throw a few more logs on the fire, though, as Rockstar VP Dan Houser spoke to Gamasutra about his decision making process when it comes to sequels, and mentioned Bully in the same breath.

“We knew that we didn't want to start doing the Bully sequel instantly at that second with those guys--even though it is a property that, like Max, we adore and might come back to in the future,” said Houser. “There was just no impetus to do that then. So we said, 'You can do Max, and then we will see what we can do with Bully.' So it was really waiting for the slot to open up and the group to open up to at least start work on it."

We could be looking at years before a sequel to Bully, but hey, I’ll wait as long as it takes.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (6019 posts) -
Jimmy found himself in plenty of fights, but he was also into kissin' dudes and chicks.

It’s an undisputed fact that Bully is the best game Rockstar Games has ever produced. The notion of an open world game set in high school continues to baffle me, but it totally, completely worked.

I’ve been patiently waiting for a sequel ever since, as Bully was ripe for making the collegiate leap. Bully was originally released on 2006, however, and rumors of a sequel have never come to fruition.

Throw a few more logs on the fire, though, as Rockstar VP Dan Houser spoke to Gamasutra about his decision making process when it comes to sequels, and mentioned Bully in the same breath.

“We knew that we didn't want to start doing the Bully sequel instantly at that second with those guys--even though it is a property that, like Max, we adore and might come back to in the future,” said Houser. “There was just no impetus to do that then. So we said, 'You can do Max, and then we will see what we can do with Bully.' So it was really waiting for the slot to open up and the group to open up to at least start work on it."

We could be looking at years before a sequel to Bully, but hey, I’ll wait as long as it takes.

#2 Posted by yani (413 posts) -

would be great to finally get a sequal

#3 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

YES! YES!

#4 Edited by SuperSambo (2881 posts) -

Can't wait, Bully was the first game that I ever bothered to get 100% completion.

#5 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

I am down with it.

#6 Posted by spiceninja (3065 posts) -

I want a sequel so bad.

#7 Posted by AwesomeAquaman (164 posts) -

YES YES YES!!! I love Jimmy Hopkins!

#8 Posted by smithz2 (48 posts) -

Bully was one of my favorite games of the past ten years so a sequel would be awesome! I have one condition though: the music has to be done by Shawn Lee.

#9 Posted by benpicko (2012 posts) -

I thought Bully was only mediocre, but I'd buy a sequel.

#10 Posted by Rongaryen (281 posts) -

The game glitched and I couldn't get the 100% achievement. That was a bummer. It was a great game though.

#11 Posted by Euey (110 posts) -

I would LOVE to see this actually happen!

#12 Posted by JarenFace (205 posts) -

Bully is by far my favourite Rockstar game. There was just something about the story/atmosphere that made it so enjoyable and appealing to me (don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Rockstar fan in general). Here's hoping if the sequel exists, they do something really special with it.

#13 Posted by cikame (1057 posts) -

Canis Canem Edit Deux?

#14 Posted by DigitalOpiate (21 posts) -

Bully is a great game but best Rockstar game?? C'mon, what are you smokin Patrick?

#15 Posted by mrcraggle (1974 posts) -

Absolutely agree with you Patrick. My only worry is the melee combat. Bully took the fighting system from The Warriors and made it even deeper and it was brilliant but since R* have taken on the Euphoria engine for their animations, melee combat has just been terrible. It was bad in GTA IV, slightly better in RDR and completely dumbed down in LA: N and I doubt Max Payne 3 will have melee of any kind as it's not that kind of game.

#17 Posted by ch3burashka (5181 posts) -

It was an incredibly well-rounded game; the high school made sense, the missions made sense, Jimmy's character made sense (as the Rockstar do-what-you-will protagonist), the actual town was great to play around in, the combat was good (enough), and that music..

dat music...

#18 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Undisputed, huh? Nice try, Klepek.

Either way, this is good news. I look forward to it.

#19 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Dude...Bully and The Warriors was an awesome era of rockstar gaming.

#20 Posted by DystopiaX (5352 posts) -

Never got into Bully as much as some people here apparently did, but more R* is always good.

#21 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@DigitalOpiate said:

Bully is a great game but best Rockstar game?? C'mon, what are you smokin Patrick?

it is the best rockstar game! fuck GTAIV, RDR, SA, whatever, bully is king.

#22 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -

Patrick, I want you to read that headline again. And again. And again.

#23 Posted by ComradeCrash (570 posts) -

Oh! So excited! When this comes, I will be happy. lol I will even get the special edition with a new dodgeball.

#24 Posted by DigitalCantina (12 posts) -

I never got the chance to play the original though I've always wanted to. Think I may check this out on PC

#25 Posted by DigitalOpiate (21 posts) -

@Animasta: Yea cause all those games are horrible(end sarcasm)

#26 Posted by zacharai (88 posts) -

RDR was great, but Bully's right up there. It's also great, but for totally different reasons. I still get the bike-riding song stuck in my head sometimes.

I bought it for the PS2 and (later) the 360, and recently when I sold most of my used games, I made sure to keep both Bully and RDR. I would get a Bully sequel in a heartbeat. Hopefully this time they'll have removed the stupid QTE's for classes.

#27 Posted by MrDapper (15 posts) -

Don't toy with with my emotions Rockstar. You better come through.

#28 Posted by osuzoo08 (91 posts) -

Bully is one of the very few games that my wife and I both played through to 100% not once but twice. It would be awesome to go back into that world again let's hope it comes out sooner than later.

#29 Posted by eaglespear (2 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA: I never played Bully, that song just made me wish I had.

#30 Posted by triviaman09 (803 posts) -

RDR, Klepek. That is all. Bully was great too though. This is great news.

#31 Posted by zacharai (88 posts) -

@smithz2: According to the Wikipedia page for Bully, Shawn Lee said in 2009 that he would be working on the score for Bully 2 in the not-too-distant future. Which hopefully means right now.

#32 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -

Bully is a great game!

#33 Posted by ProfessorEss (7472 posts) -

I'd hit it.

#34 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I need to finish that game, played a whole bunch of the Wii version but never finished it.

#35 Posted by risseless (477 posts) -

That game was a blast. I'd love to have a sequel.

#36 Posted by Butano (1774 posts) -

Played I think 1/2 of it on the PC. Enjoyed it for the most part, but I was playing it on my not-on-par laptop. Think I'll reinstall it on my desktop after I'm finished romping around Skyrim (which means not soon).

#37 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -

This doesn't mean anything. It's just like DICE "hinting" that they're still interested in Mirror's Edge, when that might just mean that there might be a sequel in 2015 or something.

#38 Posted by MeatSim (10927 posts) -

I would buy another Bully.

#39 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

Never finished Bully but what I did play was great. I'd buy another Bully game.

#40 Posted by jonano (366 posts) -

man i loved bully so much, great game . can't wait for the next one

#41 Posted by Marshermallow (222 posts) -

All this bully talk... Think I'm gonna buy the first one

#42 Posted by bcjohnnie (442 posts) -

Bully was a solid game, but never really hooked me. I'm interested to see what they will do with the idea, but I'm not ravenous for more Bully.

#43 Posted by paulunga (2104 posts) -

I think the fact that Bully was a lot less open-world and a more focused experience really helped it. And I agree, it's definitely my favourite.

#44 Edited by TheLeamenator (146 posts) -

The first line of this article is a pretty bold statement. Bully IS certainly really, really good, but both Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto IV trump it in my opinion (and many other people's opinions). Having said that though, Bully is probably easily my third favorite Rockstar game after those two, so I guess I can't harp on anybody for saying it is THE BEST... Yeah, Bully kicks fuckin' ass. And Bully II has the potential to kick even more ass. I can't wait.

#45 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@DigitalOpiate: I hated RDR and GTAIV, so yes! I loved SA, but nothing can top bully.

#46 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

I would love a sequel to this and a remake of The Warriors. And a remake of the original Red Dead Revolver. Those are the only Rockstar games I've really loved.

#47 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

Before Patrick, I thought I was the only one that loved Bully. Nice to see I'm not alone. I'm glad they decided not to do a cheap cash in and are waiting for a sequel to appear naturally. I'll wait as look as it takes if it means getting a game of equal quality and charm of the original.

#48 Posted by VincentVendetta (270 posts) -

Thank you. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

#49 Posted by Redbullet685 (6068 posts) -

Hell Yes! It's not the best R* game though.

#50 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Where is Jack Thompson when you need him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.