Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bully

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 17, 2006

Rockstar swaps gangsters for delinquents in their open-world formula, giving players control of a new student at a rough-and-tumble private school.

I spent the last week enrolled at Bullworth Academy Part 1

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By ArcBorealis

Isn't it ironic that I am a junior in high school, yet the past several days after school I come home to play a game where I'm at school. Though that didn't make Bully any less fun. Not having anything new to play during the latter half of September, I just put Bully on my Gamefly Q just on a whim. I know there are still plenty of PS2 games I missed out on, but this game would also be the first open world Rockstar game I've played. Yeah, never played any of the GTAs or Red Dead Redemption. Again, no real reason for why I decided to put it on my Q other than needing a game to play (a good one anyway).  

I'm not gonna be getting 100% anytime soon, only at about 86%, but I certainly had an amazing experience in Bully, something that hasn't had me super immersed and excited since Uncharted 2 last year (well, Half Life 2 and both Episodes, but that was back in February/March this year). The setting, the characters, the story, it was an enjoyable ride for sure. 

This is actually the first of several entries of my thoughts on the game, each on one chapter. Spoilers, obviously.

Chapter 1

Jimmy is more of a violent version of me. I have not faced any troubles with authority or rule breaking like he did, but the general attitude he has going into Bullworth more or less reflects my attitude going into Jr. High. After coming out of Elementary, where my 6th grade class was filled with a bunch of dicks, I didn't really go into it with the idea of making friends or anything. Just go there and learn, because I have to, and don't really trust anyone else. Only Jimmy has the trouble with her mother remarrying for the 5th time and being expelled from several other schools.  

So arriving in Bullworth, 98% or so of the students are in some sort of clique. Jimmy doesn't fit in any of them, and neither do the two side characters Gary and Pete. Now, having read some stuff about Bully before, I already knew Gary was gonna be the antagonist. Even when he first greets you, trying to be your "friend," it's so obvious there's something sinister going on in that boy's head. Pete was just "eh," pretty wimpy when he's being harrassed by Gary and can't stand up for himself very well. 

Getting into the main game, running around Bullworth from class to class and seeing all the students, I generally tried to follow the rules, and even stuff that didn't count as a crime, like pushing someone out of the way while running, I avoided as well. It became especially hard when the same one or two bullies would keep chasing me, and I can't fight them off without the prefects walking around the corner and busting me. This is probably something most people, including me, went through when someone kept harrasing you and you wanted more than anything just to punch them. The only thing holding you back is getting in trouble. 

The classes are interesting, and the benefits they bring are very nice. Another funny thing about the game that relates to my actual life is English class. So far this year English is my lowest grade, and in Bully, English was the class I constantly failed until I went and printed off a sheet of words on GameFAQs and used that just to pass it. Cheating, sure, but it's not like that drunk Galloway can see me through the TV.  
    But everything else, the classes I did well in, Chemistry being the easiest. Followed by Art, then Gym, only after losing a couple games of dodgeball.

Back to the different characters, I was also introduced to some of the members of the nerd clique. Algie being the most recognizable. You can always find him if you look for a fat kid with his fly open. It's amazing how the usual nerd stereotype is so exaggerated yet works so well. Rockstar's genius writing at work I guess. 

Halloween was one of the big events in this chapter, and further showing the sinster, deranged figure that is Gary dressed up as an SS Officer. Good looking uniform for sure, but that just adds to his twisted personality. And also, I always remember a Christmas Story when I see someone in a pink bunny costume, and Pete just managed to do that. So after pulling some small pranks, Gary and Jimmy did the traditional (looking at what the other prank stuff is based on, I assume the Big Prank is no exception) light a bag of poo on fire and place it at the front door, and watch someone try and put it out. And I got the Red Ninja Outfit as a reward. Score! 

The next morning came the big turning point. The day that Gary backstabs Jimmy and throws him to Russel. Gary certainly knows how to manipulate people with such ridiculous lies. Well, I guess in Russel's case he's an easy target, but it proves more effective when he tries to turn the other cliques against Jimmy. After a brutal fight with the big bully, a very amusing cutscene with Jimmy disciplining Russel about who he can beat up was a great reward, as well as the 100% respect from the Bully clique. And seeing what Russel will do later on, I'm certainly glad Jimmy got him on his side. 

So already, I stumbled a bit through school on the first couple days, failing classes, passing classes, trying to avoid as much fights as possible, just not liking anyone upon first arrival. Now I have seen my nemesis' true colors, I got the stupid bully on my side as well as his cronies. And the school gates have now opened up. Next chapter I will finally get to leave the school grounds and explore a much bigger space: Bullworth Town and the Old Bullworth Vale.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ArcBorealis

Isn't it ironic that I am a junior in high school, yet the past several days after school I come home to play a game where I'm at school. Though that didn't make Bully any less fun. Not having anything new to play during the latter half of September, I just put Bully on my Gamefly Q just on a whim. I know there are still plenty of PS2 games I missed out on, but this game would also be the first open world Rockstar game I've played. Yeah, never played any of the GTAs or Red Dead Redemption. Again, no real reason for why I decided to put it on my Q other than needing a game to play (a good one anyway).  

I'm not gonna be getting 100% anytime soon, only at about 86%, but I certainly had an amazing experience in Bully, something that hasn't had me super immersed and excited since Uncharted 2 last year (well, Half Life 2 and both Episodes, but that was back in February/March this year). The setting, the characters, the story, it was an enjoyable ride for sure. 

This is actually the first of several entries of my thoughts on the game, each on one chapter. Spoilers, obviously.

Chapter 1

Jimmy is more of a violent version of me. I have not faced any troubles with authority or rule breaking like he did, but the general attitude he has going into Bullworth more or less reflects my attitude going into Jr. High. After coming out of Elementary, where my 6th grade class was filled with a bunch of dicks, I didn't really go into it with the idea of making friends or anything. Just go there and learn, because I have to, and don't really trust anyone else. Only Jimmy has the trouble with her mother remarrying for the 5th time and being expelled from several other schools.  

So arriving in Bullworth, 98% or so of the students are in some sort of clique. Jimmy doesn't fit in any of them, and neither do the two side characters Gary and Pete. Now, having read some stuff about Bully before, I already knew Gary was gonna be the antagonist. Even when he first greets you, trying to be your "friend," it's so obvious there's something sinister going on in that boy's head. Pete was just "eh," pretty wimpy when he's being harrassed by Gary and can't stand up for himself very well. 

Getting into the main game, running around Bullworth from class to class and seeing all the students, I generally tried to follow the rules, and even stuff that didn't count as a crime, like pushing someone out of the way while running, I avoided as well. It became especially hard when the same one or two bullies would keep chasing me, and I can't fight them off without the prefects walking around the corner and busting me. This is probably something most people, including me, went through when someone kept harrasing you and you wanted more than anything just to punch them. The only thing holding you back is getting in trouble. 

The classes are interesting, and the benefits they bring are very nice. Another funny thing about the game that relates to my actual life is English class. So far this year English is my lowest grade, and in Bully, English was the class I constantly failed until I went and printed off a sheet of words on GameFAQs and used that just to pass it. Cheating, sure, but it's not like that drunk Galloway can see me through the TV.  
    But everything else, the classes I did well in, Chemistry being the easiest. Followed by Art, then Gym, only after losing a couple games of dodgeball.

Back to the different characters, I was also introduced to some of the members of the nerd clique. Algie being the most recognizable. You can always find him if you look for a fat kid with his fly open. It's amazing how the usual nerd stereotype is so exaggerated yet works so well. Rockstar's genius writing at work I guess. 

Halloween was one of the big events in this chapter, and further showing the sinster, deranged figure that is Gary dressed up as an SS Officer. Good looking uniform for sure, but that just adds to his twisted personality. And also, I always remember a Christmas Story when I see someone in a pink bunny costume, and Pete just managed to do that. So after pulling some small pranks, Gary and Jimmy did the traditional (looking at what the other prank stuff is based on, I assume the Big Prank is no exception) light a bag of poo on fire and place it at the front door, and watch someone try and put it out. And I got the Red Ninja Outfit as a reward. Score! 

The next morning came the big turning point. The day that Gary backstabs Jimmy and throws him to Russel. Gary certainly knows how to manipulate people with such ridiculous lies. Well, I guess in Russel's case he's an easy target, but it proves more effective when he tries to turn the other cliques against Jimmy. After a brutal fight with the big bully, a very amusing cutscene with Jimmy disciplining Russel about who he can beat up was a great reward, as well as the 100% respect from the Bully clique. And seeing what Russel will do later on, I'm certainly glad Jimmy got him on his side. 

So already, I stumbled a bit through school on the first couple days, failing classes, passing classes, trying to avoid as much fights as possible, just not liking anyone upon first arrival. Now I have seen my nemesis' true colors, I got the stupid bully on my side as well as his cronies. And the school gates have now opened up. Next chapter I will finally get to leave the school grounds and explore a much bigger space: Bullworth Town and the Old Bullworth Vale.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.