Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Burnout 3: Takedown

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 07, 2004

The third installment of the Burnout series of high-octane street racing games introduces online multiplayer, licensed soundtracks, and a revamped car combat system where players can shunt opposing racers into crashes for high-reward "takedowns".

In a few days, the best Burnout game will be offline-only

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Shadow

For a year after this game came out, this was my go-to game for online play.  To this day, it's the best Burnout game.  Burnout Revenge just had too many obstacles that made completing a lap without crashing into an amazing feat.  Burnout Paradise is good, but not for actual racing.  The open world nature of it makes any wrong turn (and wrong turns are easy) fatal.  Sure there are multiple paths, but there is always one path that takes you to the goal twice as fast as any other.  Accidentally deviating from that path means stopping, turning around, and getting back on the right track.  By the time you do that, you're already so far behind that you've lost.  Burnout 3 was far and away the best of the series and it makes me very sad to see it go.

darkfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By darkfury

Burnout 3 was the first game I ever played on Xbox Live, and I was in the Top 20 UK players on the leaderboards for a good year. Also sad to see it go, I'm going to try and connect online now to see if there is a group saying goodbye...

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

What a fucking classic game. Easily the best in the series with one of the best licensed soundtracks of all time.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By FrankCanada97

I have it on PS2, but it still applies. I spent many a day playing that one.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By landon

Burnout Paradise isn't going offline, is it?

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

I do love Takedown, but I love Revenge even more and considering that was released on the 360 as well, I'm covered.

darkfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By darkfury
    @HandsomeDead said:

" What a fucking classic game. Easily the best in the series with one of the best licensed soundtracks of all time. "

I'm sitting here with no-one else on the game, and the soundtrack on the menu is all that's keeping me here now.
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Djeffers03
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " What a fucking classic game. Easily the best in the series with one of the best licensed soundtracks of all time. "  
    Completely agree.
    mada193

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By mada193

*hides in the corner* I never had burnout 3 :'( 
    Had the first one and then sort of ignored the series until revenge.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Bones8677

I want another Burnout game like that one. I hated what they did to Burnout: Revenge, "let's take out the takedowns, and have people bump into each other like bumper cars." And while Burnout Paradise was good, it being an open world -- a brown open world -- really takes away from the racing itself. Just give me a plain linear race track, and I'll buy it day one.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By dbz1995

Burnout 3 had the best blend of proper, pure racing skill and blowing things up. Whilst blowing stuff up was somewat key to large success, skill on the track mattered a lot as well. Burnout Paradise went right off into the 'blowing shit up' category, which appealed to a great deal of customers, but it wouldn't have the same immersion as Burnout 3. It's sad to see it go.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Venatio

Nah gonna disagree on that, I played a ton of Burnout 3 but Paradise is the best Burnout game ever, seriously

Both are excellent games though

Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Korone

This is one of my most favourite games of all time.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @HandsomeDead said:

That part was sarcastic, right?

Right??

Dude... I always thought Burnout 3 had the worst soundtrack I've probably ever heard. I ended up turning off all the songs but about 4 of them. Oh, and for the record. I believe Burnout 3 was the first game I EVER played where I hated the soundtrack so much that I actually started turning off songs. It's not something I do often. I ended up having to do it again for Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. Anyway, Burnout 3 was a great game, but I'll be busy playing Halo 2 instead.
    Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Korone

This may never start

It'll tear us apart

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    That part was sarcastic, right?   Right??  Dude... I always thought Burnout 3 had the worst soundtrack I've probably ever heard. I ended up turning off all the songs but about 4 of them.Great game, though. But I'll be busy playing Halo 2 instead. "
    No. Besides Funeral For a Friend and Reggie and The Full Effect, I love nearly every song on that soundtrack and have them all on my iPod to this very day.
    Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Korone

Great. I now have Sugarcult stuck in my head.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Tylea002
    @HandsomeDead said:
    I hear that!
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @HandsomeDead:  Alright. Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I will say that I found some to be fun and enjoyable in a cheesy, awesomely bad sort of way. Like that song by uhh... I think they were called Local H. Uhh... Everyone Alive! That's it. Hahaha, that song was SO AWESOME! I said "Hey, hello, Mom and Dad!" Are things great, okay, or just plain bad? Are you alliivveee? Is anyone alive?
    Classic. I also liked C'mon C'mon, I think by the Von Bundies or something. And of course, the Ramones and Franz Ferdinand were enjoyable to listen to.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By natetodamax

Best Burnout game.

darkfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By darkfury

I loved the soundtrack too, thought it was very fitting. Burnout 3 is definitely my favourite Burnout game to this day. 

I investigated and I saw a few people online but didn't manage to get any races done. Checked the leaderboards and I was still near the top 1000 after all these years. :)

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By REDRUN

Burnout 3: Takedown was the game that completely took me away from all other racing games. I quickly abandoned racing games like Gran Turismo, Ridge Racer and Sega GT because of it. I played the previous Burnouts and enjoyed them both. Just the tutorial video alone in Burnout 3 took me by surprise and eager to play. Another girlfriend breakup later, this game tested positive for awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.