Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

They should rename this Call of Duty: Host Ops

TK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TK

As it stands: Having a 3 bar connection=losing 80% of gun fights. I empty an entire AK-47 magazine onto someone and they down me with 2 shots to the leg with an ASP. This is the most connection based COD game to date which I never thought I would have to say again since World At War.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By gamb1t

The connection is the sole reason i dont even play it anymore. Havent touched it in nweeks maybe one day they will fix it but until then im not gunna rage cause of connection drops left and right. I think out of 10 games only 1 will play through so whats the point?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

well maybe you need to pick a server not so close to...

oh wait, playing on a console?

boom.

TK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TK
    @Laketown said:
    "well maybe you need to pick a server not so close to...  oh wait, playing on a console?  boom. "

At least my version isn't completely broken.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Animasta
    @TK said:
    " @Laketown said:
    "well maybe you need to pick a server not so close to...  oh wait, playing on a console?  boom. "
    At least my version isn't completely broken. "
    I play the game perfectly fine (how is it broken exactly), and if I didn't I wouldn't say the smug comment would I?
    Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Bolt

Yeah, The entire purpose of getting that game was for the wife and I to play together, half the time we couldn't even party up right. Craigslisted those fuckers fast
    TK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TK
    @Laketown said:
    " @TK said:
    " @Laketown said:
    I play the game perfectly fine (how is it broken exactly), and if I didn't I wouldn't say the smug comment would I? "

Here.
    fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By fentonalpha
    @TK said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " @TK said:
    " @Laketown said:
    I play the game perfectly fine (how is it broken exactly), and if I didn't I wouldn't say the smug comment would I? "

Here. "
    Yeah if he doesn't know how it's broken he clearly is new to the internet.
    Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Sambambo

I have a bad Internet and usually low bars, but do fine...

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By ericdrum

Sometimes the host is the worst person to be. The game will give you you host lag to balance things out that is often worse than the lag that others are experiencing in the game. You end up middle of the road to less than middle as far as your ping goes.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jack268
    @fentonalpha said:

" @TK said:

" @Laketown said:
    " @TK said:
    " @Laketown said:

Here. "
    Yeah if he doesn't know how it's broken he clearly is new to the internet. "
    Except it's far from broken to a lot of people, and with the patches the people having problems with it are probably in minority but mentioning that on the internet wouldn't really be good sensationalist journalism. 
    hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By hansolol

Fuck you Modern Warfare 2.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By meteora

Good thing I have the PC version. I got sick of always having 3 bars in MW2 just because I lived in Canada.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Jack268 said:
    " @fentonalpha said:

" @TK said:

" @Laketown said:
    " @TK said:
    " @Laketown said:

Here. "
    Except it's far from broken to a lot of people, and with the patches the people having problems with it are probably in minority but mentioning that on the internet wouldn't really be good sensationalist journalism.  "
    Black Ops plays fine for me on PC as well.  News to me.  I'm curious now which one I should trust more.  A random internet article one day after the games release or my own personal experience from a few days ago. 

Well, guess I wasted 60.00 on a broken game.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By 234r2we232

I average 30-10 on FFA's and my Internet quality is inconsistent at best.

Wait. Are you just bad at the game? Aw...

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By christ0phe

Oh enough, we know the fucking host has a minor advantage.  Shut the fuck up about it.  It was the same in Cod 4 MW2.  If you're still bitching about it, stop playing

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By btman

Ya the hosting problem is a big pain in my ass.....almost 1/3 of games drop.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Example1013

Some of this shit is ridiculous (console). Lag is probably the number one reason why I die. I really wouldn't complain if it weren't for the fact that I played a ton of MW2, and most of my deaths wouldn't have happened had I been playing on MW2 instead of blops. I love the improvements to the gameplay, but lag is just a monster issue on PSN right now, and it really kinda needs to be fixed.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dark_Jon

My friend and I both try to play together but he lives in Ontario and I live in Washington. When we join a game it either lags for me or lags for him, fucking bullshit. With a dedicated server we compromise by picking a server located in the middle of the US but can't do that here.

Back to BC2, the game is better anyways.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FourWude
    @Laketown said:
    " well maybe you need to pick a server not so close to...  oh wait, playing on a console?  boom. "
    LMAO. COD on PC.... have fun with that.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Ah, the fun times when MW2 had me host 10 games in a row on a daily basis. Really miss that.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jack268
    @FourWude said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " well maybe you need to pick a server not so close to...  oh wait, playing on a console?  boom. "
    LMAO. COD on PC.... have fun with that. "
    What's the problem?
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Marz

That's why you camp when you don't have a full bar,  running and gunning with low latency is just asking for a low K/D ratio

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Bass
    @TK: I think you are exaggerating. 90% of the time I would rather simply have a good connection to the host, as opposed to being the host. In this game, there is a bunch of weird FPS drops that happen at seemingly random moments.  Also, I am rarely host, and I frequently do well while playing aggressively, where connection usually matters most. (as a side note, you cannot be killed by 2 shots from an asp unless they are both to the head).  

Also, posting a link to an article about PC problems only 1 day after the game came out isn't a good approximation of how the game plays now (after numerous patches).
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JoelTGM

I watched my friend play online for a while, and it was usually fine, but several times there were connection errors or just laggy games.  I don't get matchmaking because it doesn't even put you in game with similarly ranked players, so if it's not going to give you fair games, it could at least give you a good host.  Anyway, over here with the PC version, I can be all smug because lag or host advantage is just not possible :)

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Subjugation

PC version is absolutely fine. Lag is a non-issue when you can choose from dedicated servers. Oh, but console players wouldn't know about that ... 
    Don't try to back a losing argument next time.

CaptianBadKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CaptianBadKid

499 Shots in a Death Machine, 499 Hit Markers. I had full connection, he was sitting in the back glitched >_>

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TK said:

" @Laketown said:

" @TK said:
    " @Laketown said:

Here. "
    and yet u havent played the pc version....  talk when u actually do a legit comparison
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Rockdalf said:
    " @Jack268 said:
    " @fentonalpha said:

" @TK said:

" @Laketown said:
    " @TK said:
    " @Laketown said:

Here. "
    Except it's far from broken to a lot of people, and with the patches the people having problems with it are probably in minority but mentioning that on the internet wouldn't really be good sensationalist journalism.  "
    Black Ops plays fine for me on PC as well.  News to me.  I'm curious now which one I should trust more.  A random internet article one day after the games release or my own personal experience from a few days ago.  Well, guess I wasted 60.00 on a broken game. "

I dunno, I had quite a bit of problems with BlOps on PC, but I didn't find it particularly cringeworthy. My campaign, however, would freeze up every now and again, and my rig should be way more than enough to handle it, considering that it handles every other game I've ever played brilliantly.
    Avatar image for broadswordofthespirit
    BroadswordOfTheSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Michigan and play Blops on the 360 with my brother in Florida pretty regularly; aside from the odd laggy game we generally have few significant problems with framerate or host advantage.    I consider myself at best in the upper range of average skill level, so I usually just attribute bad games to just that. 

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dbz1995

Whilst what you say might be slightly exaggerated, the host seems to have an advantage in the game.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Example1013
    @weeman105: Actually, Star Wars: Battlefront II for PS2 and PC lumped everyone together, so us console players were actually on dedicated PC servers, playing with PC gamers. So yeah, a few of us actually have had the experience.

Also, Zipper used to run dedicated servers for SOCOM 3. I think they also still have servers for whatever the new one is. So yeah, some of us have enjoyed the bliss that is dedicated servers. I gotta say, it is much better than this matchmaking/lobby crap that we're stuck with  for CoD games.

So yeah, sticking my nose up at 360 owners! Take your Xbox Live and shove it!
    stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By stonyman65

once again, you console guys got fucked. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34  Edited By natetodamax

Maybe you're just bad at the game?

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By warxsnake
    @FourWude said:
    " @Laketown said:
    LMAO. COD on PC.... have fun with that. "
    Yeah, an FPS on PC...What the FUCK
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tennmuerti

Having played the game both on PC and on 360 (my brothers copy) 3 bars is completely playable and the tiny disadvantage you get is insignificant. A good player can still do very well and easily top the charts with 3 bars. Your only real disadvantage is in CQC situations where split seconds matters (like knifing) Play smart a 3 bar connection is no excuse for playing badly. Only when you get into 2 bar territory do you have to start truly camping to not get worked over. At 1 bar just don't play online (you can but it is a terrible experience).

The PC servers do have advantages like selecting the good servers and actually being able to see your ping and not that 4-1 bar bullshit, they carry some downsides too.
    3arc messed up on dedicated servers by not letting you do ANYTHING between games when playing on PC servers, this means you need to completely quit the server to do any changes to your class set-ups, buy pro perks or contracts, etcetera ... which kind of sucks.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By l4wd0g

My favorite mini game in CoD:BO is try and stay with your party on the PS3.  
    How to play:
    Get into a Party of 2 or more
    Join a game lobby.
    Wait for game to start
    see if your whole party made it into the game. 

Fucking hardest game to win.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.