Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

This game is terrible

• 85 results
    MrJiggerski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MrJiggerski

OK, first of all, this is not a rant, this is my opinion on the game, to be exact, the multiplayer part of it.  I will be comparing it to MW2 since it is it's successor.  

Let's start with MW2. It featured great maps, weapons and perk sets. It also had the UMP which was\is the most overused and overpowered gun in the game, and the terrible perks called Commando, Danger Close, Last Stand and the Marathon\Lightweight combo.

All I hoped for, was to Treyarch to remove those things and give us some new maps. But they decided to take it further, to make it more “balanced”.

I’m not going to talk about my view on balancing things in multiplayer games, but I want to write down the little and big things that piss me off in this, so called, “best CoD ever”.

The maps.

They are claustrophobic and feel very unnatural. It’s obvious that Treyarch wanted to make the game less camper friendly, since making every room have lot’s of entry points and windows to shoot through. There’s only one thing they forgot. By removing obvious camp spots you are not removing the campers. You are giving them the advantage of having lots and lots of not-so-obvious camp spots. In MW2 I could enter every room with safety, because I knew where to look to spot a camper. In BO I tend not to enter\leave rooms because I just don’t know where to look.

The perks.

Commando – instead of removing it, they gave it to everyone. GREAT GUYS.

Danger Close – removed, with grenades nerfed and Flak Jacket, the explosives in the game feel like throwing snow balls.

Marathon\Lightweight – still going strong.

Last Stand – same as above.

Also, thanks for putting Marathon and Ninja in the same cathegory.

The guns.

UMP was bullshit. So yeah, Treyarch nerfed everything else, except for the SMGs. GREAT JOB GUYS. Also thanks for the autoaim feature that helps me to score headshot when I am clearly losing a gun fight. It’s super balanced.

Other issues.

The spawn system doesn’t work at all, spawning people on my back when I am busy fighting the rest of the team that spawned in front of me.

The audio is messed up, making my footsteps and guns sound like it’s WWII, while the footsteps and guns of guys 5 meters in front of me sound like a news station heard in the room next to mine.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By melcene

Your thread title alone makes this flamebait.  Good luck.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By uberexplodey

Don't play it then.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Jack268

I think it's just same old with worse maps, maybe a bit better balancing(except SMGs) and worse meta game. The spawn system was pretty messed up in MW2 as well. They fixed the connection issues with MW2's matchmaking though, which is good.  

I just don't get why they remove quickscoping when none of the maps work well with hardscopes. It's just more efficient to use an AR or SMG at all times. They could as well have removed snipers from the game completely. 

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By jacdg

Obviously you are entitled to your own opinion, but I strongly disagree with everything you just said about Black Ops.

Also:
    @UberExplodey said:

" Don't play it then. "
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Yanngc33
    @MrJiggerski:
    I agree about the maps. Maps like WMD are bad but not all are crap. Nuketown is a guilty pleasure while other medium sized ones can be fun. As for the guns, yes some are shit and I think that this is the first Call of Duty where I feel at a disadvantage against players who've unlocked later tiered weapons. MW 2 had balancing issues (the models) but you could still pull off a nuke with the Famas.
    bipwp778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bipwp778

Totally agree.  Playing Nuketown and having somebody spawn practically three feet behind you is ridiculous.  Spawning needs to be fixed, it's killing my multiplayer experience.  

MrJiggerski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrJiggerski
    @Yanngc33:  My fav map is GRID. It's the only one I feel good playing at. 

@UberExplodey: Yeah, it's so easy to say, when you just spent 1/8 of your monthly earnings on a game that was supposed to have all the remedy your favourite game needed.
    jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By jacdg
    @bipwp778 said:
    " Totally agree.  Playing Nuketown and having somebody spawn practically three feet behind you is ridiculous.  Spawning needs to be fixed, it's killing my multiplayer experience.   "
    It's either that, or being spawn trapped by a talented team, and unless you are a pretty god damn good player it's nearly impossible to break out of those, this is basically about picking your poison.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By ESREVER

Huh, really? I felt the maps in MW2 were pretty garbage.  
    Also:

It’s obvious that Treyarch wanted to make the game less camper friendly, since making every room have lot’s of entry points and windows to shoot through. There’s only one thing they forgot. By removing obvious camp spots you are not removing the campers. You are giving them the advantage of having lots and lots of not-so-obvious camp spots. In MW2 I could enter every room with safety, because I knew where to look to spot a camper. In BO I tend not to enter\leave rooms because I just don’t know where to look.    

There's something about those sentences that I don't like, but I can't put my finger on it.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By Yanngc33
    @MrJiggerski:
    Yeah that's a good map and an easy one to learn. I feel like I may be hating it because I don't have enough time to get really into it, by learning every map and watching replays. I remember I used to day dream during exams about multiplayer strategies in MW 2 lol
    jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jayjonesjunior

now tell us something we don't know.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Aetos

Yeah, the maps in MW2 were bad. And if you don't like then don't play it. Simple enough.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CptChiken

I hope that this is a joke. 

To which the only response is: 

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Sitoxity
    @ESREVER:  He wants to play the game where he knows the exact location of every enemy at all times without having random encounters.

Basically, he want's the enemy to line up somewhere so he doesn't have to worry about them killing him.
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By foggel

It's good, but terrible compared to MW2.

And you can play games that don't include perks...

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I'm kind of the opposite on this one. I liked both recent COD games, however Black Ops just seems more fun for me.

arca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By arca
    @JacDG said:
    " Obviously you are entitled to your own opinion, but I strongly disagree with everything you just said about Black Ops.

Also:
    @UberExplodey said:
    " Don't play it then. "
    "
    This. Apart from nuketown which I hate.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @MrJiggerski said:
    " I ask all the minors that never bought anything in their life to kindly FUCK OFF. "
    That was an assumption now wasn't it.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dbz1995

MW2 has better maps than BO? Really? Interesting.
     In all fairness, MW2 may have been better. But Wager Matches are really fun, it has split-screen online, knifing isn't as bad as you say (comparing it to Commando is downright heresy), and I'm guessing more people enjoy Nazi Zombies to Spec Ops, though that's just guessing from what I've heard from my peers.
     In my mind, comparing MW2 to BO:

• MW2 has better maps, like Skidrow, Highrise and Invasion
    • MW2 has worse maps, like Wasteland, Rust, and the snowy one which I cannot remember
    • BO has overall better gun balancing
    • MW2 seems to have better online features regarding connection
    • BO has split-screen online
    • BO has Nazi Zombies
    • MW2 has Spec Ops
    • BO have Wager Matches
    • BO have much better Killstreaks
    • MW2 have marginally better spawn points (but both have awful spawn points)
    • BO has much better customisation
    • BO's grenade launchers and rocket launchers have been heavily nerfed (take that how you may, though I think it's fantastic)
    • MW2 has Riot Shields (again, take that how you may, though I think it's fantastic)

Overall, for me, BO win, but it's stupid how they've still got ridiculously stupid spawn points and a new thing-awful online connection, though maybe that's just me.

MrJiggerski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrJiggerski
    @Sitoxity said:

" @ESREVER:  He wants to play the game where he knows the exact location of every enemy at all times without having random encounters.  Basically, he want's the enemy to line up somewhere so he doesn't have to worry about them killing him. "

WOW. JUST WOW. I don't want random encounters that include getting killed by a guy laying down in a corner or stabbing me in the back BECAUSE THEY JUST SPAWNED THERE.  

@SethPhotopoulos:

I was talking to all the "don't play it then" dudes.
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sitoxity
    @MrJiggerski:  So you're saying players shouldn't be rewarded for out-thinking you? 

If you just spawn and you go prone to hide, that's smart thinking if the spawn system isn't perfect. If you know people do that, enter the building, check the corners and floors, and move on. Your complaints are that you suck.
    MrJiggerski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrJiggerski

@Sitoxity:  Out-thinking me? WHAT? Lay down the cocaine dude. If camping is out-thinking somebody, wowowowowowo WE HAVE GENIUSES PLAYING VIDEO GAMES, I WONDER WHY THEY ARE NOT AT MIT.

My complaints are, that Black Ops is a noob friendly game, that does A LOT to help people that DO SUCK at the game to kill people that DO HAVE skills, people like myself.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Skald
    @MrJiggerski said:
    "  @Sitoxity:  Out-thinking me? WHAT? Lay down the cocaine dude. If camping is out-thinking somebody, wowowowowowo WE HAVE GENIUSES PLAYING VIDEO GAMES, I WONDER WHY THEY ARE NOT AT MIT.  My complaints are, that Black Ops is a noob friendly game, that does A LOT to help people that DO SUCK at the game to kill people that DO HAVE skills, people like myself. "
    People who are more skilled at a game will always beat new players. Black Ops is no exception. Why are you so determined to get people to join your flame war?
    karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By karneh

Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kieran_ES
    @MrJiggerski said:
    "  @Sitoxity:  Out-thinking me? WHAT? Lay down the cocaine dude. If camping is out-thinking somebody, wowowowowowo WE HAVE GENIUSES PLAYING VIDEO GAMES, I WONDER WHY THEY ARE NOT AT MIT.  My complaints are, that Black Ops is a noob friendly game, that does A LOT to help people that DO SUCK at the game to kill people that DO HAVE skills, people like myself. "
    This sounds like the people in Starcraft 2 who complain about losing to 'cheese', if you're not prepared for that and able to hold it off then you need to get better. I will say the same to you, adjust. Don't assume you're better because they're using an easy, exploitable tactic. Learn how to deal with that.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tunaburn

i love the maps and the grenades feel much much much much much better now. I still get tons of kills with them but can actually avoid them when they land 10 feet away. and the knifing distance does need to be fixed. But its not EVEN CLOSE to as bad as fuckin commando was.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sitoxity
    @EndSarcasm & @extremeradical

Thank you for not being dumb.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @EndSarcasm: I don't think you got what he was saying at all. 

He actually adapted to the camping to MW2 and got some enjoyment out of that game (I'm guessing on his enjoyment). 

The problem is with people spawning right behind you and hitting prone to tap left trigger and right trigger to let the auto aim murder you, it's not something you can see coming...it's just randomness... 

Although if he's complaining about that now, well he must have been in denial. He should have switched his online choice a while ago...
    Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kieran_ES
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @EndSarcasm: I don't think you got what he was saying at all.  He actually adapted to the camping to MW2 and got some enjoyment out of that game (I'm guessing on his enjoyment).  The problem is with people spawning right behind you and hitting prone to tap left trigger and right trigger to let the auto aim murder you, it's not something you can see coming...it's just randomness...  Although if he's complaining about that now, well he must have been in denial. He should have switched his online choice a while ago... "
    Are there a certain number of spawn points? I haven't played a lot of BO. 
    MrJiggerski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrJiggerski
    @Doctorchimp: 
    I guess you are right. Thanks for the polite way you put it. Not like some idiots here.
    Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Potter9156

I agree with almost everything you said, but you forgot to mention the overpowered Famas and AK74.

faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By faustyn
    @Potter9156 said:
    " I agree with almost everything you said, but you forgot to mention the overpowered Famas and AK74. "
    ak74u is not even overpowered. it's a cruel joke imo. they have to nerf it really soon because the game is just boring right now. everyone is running with 74u and that's it.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iam3green

i think black ops is good. the only problem is the spawning, like what everyone else said.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By awesomeusername
    @MrJiggerski: Well. I just hope you don't go buy CoD next year. Or everyone will be convinced you buy every CoD just to complain about it and every other game they will make is going to be the same. So yeah, don't buy it anymore.

By the way, sell the game if you think is terrible. No point in having it if you don't like it right?
    Jerome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jerome85

The only thing I agree with is how you said everyone has commando now.  the knifing in this game is ridiculous.  i would change the knifing distance/lunge, the respawn system, and do something about the hardline pro/care package/sam turret/regular turret nonsense.  other than that I am enjoying black ops a lot.  it's going to be hard choosing my game of the year between mass effect 2, red dead redemption, black ops and assassins creed brotherhood.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cloudenvy
    @ESREVER said:
    " Huh, really? I felt the maps in MW2 were pretty garbage.  
    Also:

It’s obvious that Treyarch wanted to make the game less camper friendly, since making every room have lot’s of entry points and windows to shoot through. There’s only one thing they forgot. By removing obvious camp spots you are not removing the campers. You are giving them the advantage of having lots and lots of not-so-obvious camp spots. In MW2 I could enter every room with safety, because I knew where to look to spot a camper. In BO I tend not to enter\leave rooms because I just don’t know where to look.    

There's something about those sentences that I don't like, but I can't put my finger on it. "
    You and me both.
    Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39  Edited By Levio

(-.-)y-~~

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ErrorOperator

No Caption Provided
    MrJiggerski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MrJiggerski
    @awesomeusername said:
    " @MrJiggerski: Well. I just hope you don't go buy CoD next year. Or everyone will be convinced you buy every CoD just to complain about it and every other game they will make is going to be the same. So yeah, don't buy it anymore. By the way, sell the game if you think is terrible. No point in having it if you don't like it right? "
    I strongly disagree. The last 4 CoD's where so different from each other, it was kinda hard to folllow the changelog. And I'm not just complaining about it, I'm pointing out obvious flaws of the game Yes, I said it, flaws, because for me, games should not have anything that helps bad players get an advantage, bad players should get owned and never play the game again. Just like Counter Strike was in the good ol' days.

Oh, and I'm not going to sell the game.I get emotionally attached to things. :D
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree. MW2 was total shit.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DukesT3

So how bout them Heat? Crappy eh? eh?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NekuSakuraba

No Caption Provided
    Twist3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Twist3d

i agree, i loved the game at first but now all the flaws and exploits are showing, also im on ps3 and the game seems to be broken at the minute, cant hear frein ds in lobbies constantly getting kicked when your party joins a lobby, ive just started playing modern warfare again :P

QueenOfHearts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By QueenOfHearts
    @MrJiggerski said:
    " @awesomeusername said:
    " @MrJiggerski: Well. I just hope you don't go buy CoD next year. Or everyone will be convinced you buy every CoD just to complain about it and every other game they will make is going to be the same. So yeah, don't buy it anymore. By the way, sell the game if you think is terrible. No point in having it if you don't like it right? "
    I strongly disagree. The last 4 CoD's where so different from each other, it was kinda hard to folllow the changelog. And I'm not just complaining about it, I'm pointing out obvious flaws of the game Yes, I said it, flaws, because for me, games should not have anything that helps bad players get an advantage, bad players should get owned and never play the game again. Just like Counter Strike was in the good ol' days. Oh, and I'm not going to sell the game.I get emotionally attached to things. :D "
    Sounds like whining...

Just because you don't enjoy the changes (or lack thereof) to the newest installment, doesn't make them "obvious flaws". The perks, maps, and weapons were all well thought out and properly devised whether balanced or not. Each set of weapons and perks have their own specific benefits and downfalls...

For such an opinionated and experienced player, taking out "bad players" shouldn't be an issue to you. No run is going to be flawless. You're going to get killed, by good players and bad- quit bitching. A lot of entrances to a room is not an "obvious flaw". Derp.

Sell the game. You're emotionally attached to your ego, not COD.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Lemoncookie01

I'm still buying it today.

MrJiggerski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MrJiggerski
    @QueenOfHearts: You missed the point. I never said that the maps are flawed because of the multiple entry points, I said that multiple entry points + not being able to hear a thing makes this bad. Also, I have a feeling that the game was rushed, so it could be sold at that special date.

Anyway, this point is no longer valid, I found a way to deal with this. And I know I can't have flawless games all the time, but my average in MW2 was 2 out of 3. In Black Ops it's 3 out of 10.

Also, thanks for mentioning my ego, it's very flattering.

//ed.

Also, it's amazing how I pointed out lots of bad things in the game, and from 50 replies, only 5 actually had to say something about what I was talking bout. The rest was just bashing me for my opinion on the game. I always forget that the internet is never a good place to have a discussion. Too many 15yo.
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Fosssil
    @MrJiggerski: Call of Duty hasn't been about fairly rewarding player skill under default settings since CoD2. You're playing the wrong game if you're looking for consistent and fair results based on player ability. It's the most popular online shooter ever for a reason -- anyone can pick up a controller and play because of the marginal skill gap.

Did you sell MW2? If not, go back to that game if you liked it better.
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By awesomeusername
    @QueenOfHearts said:
    " @MrJiggerski said:
    " @awesomeusername said:
    I strongly disagree. The last 4 CoD's where so different from each other, it was kinda hard to folllow the changelog. And I'm not just complaining about it, I'm pointing out obvious flaws of the game Yes, I said it, flaws, because for me, games should not have anything that helps bad players get an advantage, bad players should get owned and never play the game again. Just like Counter Strike was in the good ol' days. Oh, and I'm not going to sell the game.I get emotionally attached to things. :D "
    Sounds like whining...  Just because you don't enjoy the changes (or lack thereof) to the newest installment, doesn't make them "obvious flaws". The perks, maps, and weapons were all well thought out and properly devised whether balanced or not. Each set of weapons and perks have their own specific benefits and downfalls...  For such an opinionated and experienced player, taking out "bad players" shouldn't be an issue to you. No run is going to be flawless. You're going to get killed, by good players and bad- quit bitching. A lot of entrances to a room is not an "obvious flaw". Derp.  Sell the game. You're emotionally attached to your ego, not COD. "
    Thanks for summing that up for me Princess Peach. :P  

Seriously though, it sounds entirely like whining.  You're making an essay about a game you think is terrible yet you want to keep it. If you're going to keep it, then don't complain about it's "flaws", just keep playing the crap. All the past CoD's were the same. CoD4 and WaW were exactly the same shit, just Treyarch couldn't make what infinity Ward did better. Mw2 and BO are the same also, this time Treyarch made it better though. Even if there's a lot of stupid shit like overpowered guns and that damn chopper that you control. They're the same thing every time, just a little bit different.  Really though, just sell the piece of shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.